Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

4 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

How much did they pay him in wages over those 4 years? If he never kicked a ball for them he was effectively just an expense the entire time.

He went straight out on loan and had 4 loans in that time. Wouldn't be surprised if the clubs paid his wages and even sent a small fee to City for the privilege. If he was 16 when he signed the 2.5m fee potentially didn't count to their ffp expenditure allowance too as he'd be a youth player (not sure about that though). 

Morgan Rogers, who was linked with us is now linked to Forest and Palace. 

Isn't he another ex Baggies yoof product? They usually end up at Villa!

On the City youth, was a big thing by the media clowns that Pep would do another La Masia with this generation. Brahim, Sancho, Garcia, Ivic, Luiz, Brandon Barker even Denayer all left under Pep. Foden is the exception but the lack of chances for these youth lads was disgraceful 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Pep spent over £300m at Barcelona despite the generational pool of talent he had available. 

Has he ever really developed academy players by in large? 

I guess if you compare it to probably the greatest manager of all time Fergie, he had a similar group of players coming through in the 90s and supplemented them with exceptional players (though both had expensive flops like Veron or Zlatan).  I'd say Guardiola's Barca peaked to be the best club football side I've ever seen, I'm not sure how hyped the likes of Busquets or Pedro were when in the B team and how many managers would trust them over more expensive signings that a club the size of Barca would always look to make.  He then did use other players like Cuenca, Juanfran and Thiago as fringe players and signing ex-Masia kids. 

Pep's problem at Barca for me is he seemed to want to make his perfect wet dream team of having XI midfielders, including the goalkeeper, in the team.  He seems to be making the same mistake at City.  If they miss out on Kane because they signed Jack then it's dumb as **** on Pep's part as they clearly could do with a striker, especially as Kane has developed as a striker who can come deep and create as well as score.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Has he ever really developed academy players by in large? 

Does any manager do it anymore? Chelsea have had the best academy in England for years and look how few players have come through to the first team. Football isn't like it used to be where Alex Ferguson could give youth players games here and there because he knew his team would win the league anyway. For any club in the CL it's very difficult to bring through a young player. How many youth team player have we brought through that are good enough for a top 10 club in the last 15 years. Jacko, Cahill and maybe Albrighton.

Edited by villa89

43 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Does any manager do it anymore? Chelsea have had the best academy in England for years and look how few players have come through to the first team. Football isn't like it used to be where Alex Ferguson could give youth players games here and there because he knew his team would win the league anyway. For any club in the CL it's very difficult to bring through a young player. How many youth team player have we brought through that are good enough for a top 10 club in the last 15 years. Jacko, Cahill and maybe Albrighton.

20/30 years back you could get a well trained group of 'lesser' players to achieve success.

Football has changed and gone massive, more so than ever before. The top 5 teams like Man City, Real Madrid, Chelsea all have good academies, and they will likely have 1/2 academy players starting in most games in the first 11. 

The thing is, they have a pool of 50 players that could theoretically reach that potential. And if Aston Villa/Porto/Club Brugge/Shakhtar have a youngster that is better than 40 out of those 50, they will simply buy him.

The elite teams are made out of elite players. 

So I'm not really hating Pep for doing it. Don't hate the player, hate the game. 

37 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think it's quite embarrassing some Villa fans are so obsessed with City they're keeping an eye on their ticket availability. 

The guy who posted it was an Everton fan... 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

The guy who posted it was an Everton fan... 

as others have alluded to with the booing the grealish transfer and kane links are seemingly the straw that broke the camels back

football fans in general have had enough of them, its not a villa thing

Â