Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

That’s the thing.  If there’s one thing I’m not, it’s jealous.  That’s what their fans put the negativity they receive from other fans down to but I genuinely don’t want what they’ve got.  

I pity them in a way. Yeah they'll win all those trophies but they're literally just a shell.

It’s starting to get a bit of a Galactico feel about it isn’t it? Like it could be quite hard for Pep to keep everyone happy and put out a balanced team.

Very reminiscent of when Zlatan joined Barca.

I actually hope Pep does bring out the best in Jack because he is such a gifted player and great to watch. But Pep has a bad record with charismatic mavericks. Always been much better with well behaved schoolboy types who let him take the limelight.

I know we’re not exactly short of a few quid but I genuinely don’t think I’d take any pleasure in supporting Villa if we ever ended up like them.

It’s like they’re playing with a cheat code that not only builds them up to what should be untouchable levels but also pulls up the ladder on their potential rivals. Yes, they’re exploiting the lack of regulation to their advantage but it’s just not sport. 

4 minutes ago, JB said:

I know we’re not exactly short of a few quid but I genuinely don’t think I’d take any pleasure in supporting Villa if we ever ended up like them.

It’s like they’re playing with a cheat code that not only builds them up to what should be untouchable levels but also pulls up the ladder on their potential rivals. Yes, they’re exploiting the lack of regulation to their advantage but it’s just not sport. 

You still need to recruit well and get them playing as a team. 

As annoying as it is to say Man City is an incredibly well run club from top to bottom. 

They have a plan with everything they do. Every decision they make. 

13 minutes ago, JB said:

There's plenty of clubs in the PL and below who would perceive the Aston Villa of 5 years ago, to today, as being Man City-esque.

We can now raid fellow PL teams and take their best players. Not quite Galacticos levels, certainly not as brazen as City but in the grand scheme of things, only a few select English clubs can operate as we can.

Edited by ccfcman
  • Like 1

Pep has got to be the biggest myth in world football. No way is he the best manager in the world and has never proven he is. 

I personally don't think there is a clear best manager currently and hasn't been since peak Mourinho, I would say Conte might be the closest. 

His football ideals are just the same as any other clubs nowadays it's just he has the chequebook to make his version look better. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

@El Zen picking up here due to being off topic in off topic…

I don’t see a huge difference between Man City blowing a fortune on our best player to what we (and other clubs) do picking up the best players from from the next tier down.

I don’t agree it’s impossible to compete with them because Leicester have proved you can if you’re run well and recruit well. 
Their shirt sponsorship deal isn’t in the top 10 biggest.

Them spending £100m on Grealish is just what we’re doing but ratcheted up to their relatively bigger income (which is proportionate to their success)

I agree with the rest except for the bold bit. They have been shown to be artificially inflating their income for years. The difference is our owners want to invest wisely to increase the value of their asset, their owners are using them as a Global PR device for a sketchy nation so losses are not a problem.

It's not like our owners are local businessmen doing this as a passion project so it's not inherently better, just a different outlook financially

Just now, YouUnastanFren said:

I agree with the rest except for the bold bit. They have been shown to be artificially inflating their income for years. The difference is our owners want to invest wisely to increase the value of their asset, their owners are using them as a Global PR device for a sketchy nation so losses are not a problem.

It's not like our owners are local businessmen doing this as a passion project so it's not inherently better, just a different outlook financially

How have they been artificially inflating their income?

Whilst the club has links to the people sponsoring the shirts the value is comparable to what you’d expect it to be (maybe even a bit on the low side looking at some of the others).

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

@El Zen picking up here due to being off topic in off topic…

I don’t see a huge difference between Man City blowing a fortune on our best player to what we (and other clubs) do picking up the best players from from the next tier down.

I don’t agree it’s impossible to compete with them because Leicester have proved you can if you’re run well and recruit well. 
Their shirt sponsorship deal isn’t in the top 10 biggest.

Them spending £100m on Grealish is just what we’re doing but ratcheted up to their relatively bigger income (which is proportionate to their success)

Its the entitled attitude, if honest City arent even the issue. Was the media circus that we should bow down and let him leave

You dont see Gabby or Hendrie in the media saying Cantwell or Buendia deserves to join Villa

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Whilst the club has links to the people sponsoring the shirts the value is comparable to what you’d expect it to be (maybe even a bit on the low side looking at some of the others).

This is true, there's no inflation of income or direct funding from the owner, the club has been standing on its own two feet for 7-8 years.  Income has ratcheted up to higher levels over this period.

Its like the throw away line "how can City afford player X & Y", when they don't even look at the income level OR the player sales/sell on clause revenue.

On another note the owner has invested heavily in the city of Manchester as well with affordable housing and the like, are the United owners doing anything like this?

Not sure if Villa's owners invest in the Birmingham community or not.

Edited by FrannyLee1968
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Football is so full of shit, it seriously needs an enema. Somewhere along the way, especially the Premier League, it forgot how to be a competition.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm not sure if you're joking or if you missed the massive FFP court cases and leaked emails that showed their sponsorship from Etihad airways was actually only partially from the airway and the majority snuck in from their owners.

45849617-0-image-a-13_1627157996945.jpg

Iirc they inflated their income to being roughly 60% more than Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

Edited by YouUnastanFren
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I'm not sure if you're joking or if you missed the massive FFP court cases and leaked emails that showed their sponsorship from Etihad airways was actually only partially from the airway and the majority snuck in from their owners.

45849617-0-image-a-13_1627157996945.jpg

Iirc they inflated their income to being roughly 60% more than Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

Is this the charge they were cleared of? Or something else?

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is this the charge they were cleared of? Or something else?

"Cleared of"

But yeah this is something else. Well, it's exactly the same concept but new leaked (hacked and stolen) evidence for different incidences of financial doping.

It is absolutely clear cut from the leaks to me. I'm sure their team of 87 lawyers will protect them from any punishment though.

their 10 year etihad shirt sponsor put them on man utd / liverpool money despite having a fan base and brand exposure of maybe 50% of what utd's is

arsenal signed a deal with emirates for stadium and shirt worth £90m for 15 years, man citys was £400m for 10

absolutely no inflating values going on there

• Like 3

Â