Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

36 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

See this is where I probably differ from a lot. I don’t hate city, what they did has always been done (especially premier league era). Blackburn won having a rich owner. Man Utd were consistently blowing away other teams with transfer fees and wages, in the early 2000’s they were purchasing players for £30m (a figure that until this summer most premier league teams outside the top six wouldnt dream of paying). They would also buy players with no intention of playing them just to stop teams getting stronger (I remember an interview with Matt Jansen, who at the time was very highly thought of, saying Utd had offered triple the wages of other clubs but he turned them down as wanted regular football, (probably regrets that as he got older) 

Yeah that's fair. I just hate their methods (cheating the system) No issues with the success. But this all comes down to FFP bullshit forcing their hand.

48 minutes ago, sne said:

Considering we've spent way beyond our means for several years and sold our stadium to ourselves we are hardly saints either.

and the hundreds of times ours fans posted on here that we should splurge a fortune and just find a loophole to balance the books.

We could potentially be next on the hitlist.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sne said:

Considering we've spent way beyond our means for several years and sold our stadium to ourselves we are hardly saints either.

Didn't lie about it whilst already in a privileged position though, did we?  Also, aren't owned by a state, are we?

Aside from having rich owners, there's nothing similar about Aston Villa and Manchester City.

Just now, bobzy said:

Didn't lie about it whilst already in a privileged position though, did we?  Also, aren't owned by a state, are we?

Aside from having rich owners, there's nothing similar about Aston Villa and Manchester City.

Didn't claim we did the exact same thing that they did did I?

We "cheated" the system in our own little way. And by Championship standards we were in a very privileged position IMO.

• Like 2

Clubs like Real and Barca have built their success by having massive debts, and having interest free loans they don't have to repay and getting a ridiculous deal when selling their training ground.

You have to cheat to be successful. City cheated in the wrong way apparently. Sucks to be them I guess. PSG will be up next until the status quo is restored or these Nouveau riche clubs win their court cases against UEFA

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, sne said:

Didn't claim we did the exact same thing that they did did I?

We "cheated" the system in our own little way. And by Championship standards we were in a very privileged position IMO.

We didn't really.  If we didn't go up, we'd have been done.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

We didn't really.  If we didn't go up, we'd have been done.

In regards to FFP sure. But if our new owners wanted to they could have still pumped in more money

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I was disappointed to learn the other day that when in the Championship, we were at the forefront of a brief push to form a 'breakaway Championship' because we were unimpressed by how small the TV deal was.

I'm not because the TV deal is outrageous 

Financial disparity is about to get worse, "doing a Fulham" will just be standard post promotion player turnover 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I was disappointed to learn the other day that when in the Championship, we were at the forefront of a brief push to form a 'breakaway Championship' because we were unimpressed by how small the TV deal was.

I think that was during the Wyness/Xia reign of terror

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm not because the TV deal is outrageous 

Financial disparity is about to get worse, "doing a Fulham" will just be standard post promotion player turnover 

It isn't really outrageous, because there are essentially no international TV rights (because foreign people do not care about the Championship).

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It isn't really outrageous, because there are essentially no international TV rights (because foreign people do not care about the Championship).

The PL TV-deal is outrageous.

Just the the Scandinavian TV rights to the PL for the next 6 years was sold earlier in the month and apparently cost £100m per season.

And that's just the tiny little market that is Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

If it's one thing that truly broke football then it is the PL and those silly TV deals.

Obviously there are loads more reasons football is shit nowadays.

Edited by sne

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Just the the Scandinavian TV rights to the PL for the next 6 years was sold earlier in the month and apparently cost £100m per season.

The Premier League are looking at setting up a premflix subscription to anyone in the world.  You think how much money that could generate!  Seems pointless them selling the rights to Sky/BT/Foreign Broadcasters when they can get the money direct from me and you.  You are talking serious money coming in if this happens.

Will the bigger clubs try and claim a bigger slice of that income is the question.

Amazon was the toe in the water.

I am content with the Premier League TV money being a thing as long as it's still negotiated as a league and distributed fairly. I'd prefer an equal distribution to all 20 clubs, but I can handle a finishing position based distribution provided we don't enter a situation like in other European leagues where individual clubs negotiate their own TV rights.

As soon as the bigger clubs try to take more than their share, they can sod off to their European Superleague.

12 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

The Premier League are looking at setting up a premflix subscription to anyone in the world.  You think how much money that could generate!  Seems pointless them selling the rights to Sky/BT/Foreign Broadcasters when they can get the money direct from me and you.  You are talking serious money coming in if this happens.

Will the bigger clubs try and claim a bigger slice of that income is the question.

Amazon was the toe in the water.

The point about Premflix is that me, you and @sne will be extremely unusual, on a global level, in choosing to watch Aston Villa games. Premflix is a way for the top 6 to earn massive multiples more from their huge global fanbases than the likes of us, still less Brighton or Bournemouth, could get.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sne said:

If it's one thing that truly broke football then it is the PL and those silly TV deals.

Obviously there are loads more reasons football is shit nowadays.

Don't forget the people who buy it, they're as much to blame.

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The point about Premflix is that me, you and @sne will be extremely unusual, on a global level, in choosing to watch Aston Villa games. Premflix is a way for the top 6 to earn massive multiples more from their huge global fanbases than the likes of us, still less Brighton or Bournemouth, could get.

Just gotta hope that the fine people in Tanzania, Egypt, Zimbabwe and what not all watch their beloved Villa via super expensive but legal ways :D 

And then we have to sign a couple of Chinese, Indian and Pakistani players so we can tap into that market...

Edited by sne
Typo

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Just gotta hope that the fine people in Tanzania, Egypt, Zimbabwe and what not all watch their beloved Villa via super expensive but legal ways :D 

And the we have to sign a couple of Chinese, Indian and Pakistani players so we can tap into that market...

Just imagining a future where Man Utd have, like, 8 of the best players in world football in their starting XI, plus each week they rotate in three players from either China, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Vietnam, Indonesia etc. to round out the team and make it maximally revenue-earning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Yeah that's fair. I just hate their methods (cheating the system) No issues with the success. But this all comes down to FFP bullshit forcing their hand.

Barry

Milner

Delph

Three perfectly good reasons why I hate City...

When they had seemingly unlimited finances to afford any player from any club they liked, they used them to destabilise us over and over...

Phuck ‘em!

• Like 1

Â