Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

If Pep stays for five more years, it'll be seven in a row.

I'm not so sure, not because I doubt Pep, just that ti's so hard for a team to maintain that sort of dominance.

But he'll certainly have a few more to his name

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

To get 198 points over two seasons is incredible but everyone expected City to win the title so when someone said that they've exceeded expectations they were talking rubbish.

That's a bit of a weird way to look at it.

If they'd won every game 10-0 and got a perfect record with a +380 goal difference you would be saying they hand't exceeded expectations because they were expected to win the league?

198 points over two seasons is unreal.

To have a team get 97 points and lose one game all season and STILL beat them is unreal.

Winning a second title in a row is hard enough. To do it they way they have is an amazing achievement and absolutely has exceeded expectations imo.

• Like 1

That's a bit of a weird way to look at it.

If they'd won every game 10-0 and got a perfect record with a +380 goal difference you would be saying they hand't exceeded expectations because they were expected to win the league?

I think there is some jealousy there from my side that City have come from where they have and are now one of the greatest club sides ever, certainly in the PL era. Of course I wish that had happened to us and sometimes wonder why we had to be bought by Lerner who absolutely ruined the club and they got bought by Sheikh Mansour who has made them an absolute superclub in the space of 10 years. 

But equally, my point is fair. Most pundits at the start of the season expected City to win the league again under Pep. I don't think anyone expected Liverpool to do what they have and get 97 points - so as much as I'm glad they didn't win the league given the arrogance of their fans, I think Liverpool deserve the most credit for keeping this title race interesting.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

4 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

But equally, my point is fair. Most pundits at the start of the season expected City to win the league again under Pep. I don't think anyone expected Liverpool to do what they have and get 97 points - so as much as I'm glad they didn't win the league given the arrogance of their fans, I think Liverpool deserve the most credit for keeping this title race interesting.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Both teams deserve credit. Liverpool have done amazingly and as funny as it is that they didn't win the league, to get 97 points and lose one game all season is incredible from them.
But for them to have done that and City to have still beaten them, after already winning it last season, is also incredibly impressive. The fact that they were favourites to win the league doesn't mean it's not exceeding expectations. And neither does the opinion (which is valid) that Liverpool have been more impressive.

• Like 1

I'm not denying City have done well - and they've had De Bruyne out for most of the season, undoubtedly their best player. Mendy has also missed most of it too after a promising start. But when you have got the squad they have got from being able to spend vast sums of money on every position in your squad, injuries can easily be dealt with.

I guess nothing surprises me with City which is why I struggle to give them the kudos others do. They've enticed arguably the world's best manager with a blank chequebook. Their financial firepower is far greater than everyone else in the league. Only United have anywhere near the net spend City do over the last three years which is why their predicament is shambolic. It was inevitable that at some point with City's finances they would be the dominant force of the PL and win title after title after title - I guess we are finally seeing that potential now and they'll probably dominate for the next decade unless something drastic happens with one of the other clubs.

8 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'm not denying City have done well - and they've had De Bruyne out for most of the season, undoubtedly their best player. Mendy has also missed most of it too after a promising start. But when you have got the squad they have got from being able to spend vast sums of money on every position in your squad, injuries can easily be dealt with.

I guess nothing surprises me with City which is why I struggle to give them the kudos others do. They've enticed arguably the world's best manager with a blank chequebook. Their financial firepower is far greater than everyone else in the league. Only United have anywhere near the net spend City do over the last three years which is why their predicament is shambolic. It was inevitable that at some point with City's finances they would be the dominant force of the PL and win title after title after title - I guess we are finally seeing that potential now and they'll probably dominate for the next decade unless something drastic happens with one of the other clubs.

It doesn't make sense to me that City have the same net spend as United, yet you expect City to 'win title after title after title' and it's just 'inevitable', but surely United's situation is exactly why this isn't inevitable and it is still an impressive achievement. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It doesn't make sense to me that City have the same net spend as United, yet you expect City to 'win title after title after title' and it's just 'inevitable', but surely United's situation is exactly why this isn't inevitable and it is still an impressive achievement. 

Exactly. This is the bit I'm struggling with people not grasping.

Yes money helps. Of course. 

But you still need to spend it right. Anyone still labelling Pep as a chequebook manager is crazy, imo.
And similarly anyone still dismissing City's achievements as JUST being because of money is also doing them a disservice.

They have bought it, their net spend in the past 2 years alone is bigger than anyone's and that's not including paying for Guardiola who is one of the best managers in the world. Guardiola for me is clearly an excellent manager but has only delivered at enormous clubs with enormous budgets with enormous talent. I'd say in his last two jobs he has done nothing more than met expectations, did a worse job at Bayern than Heynckes and has done what was expected of him at City, although even then poor performances in Europe raise a question mark or two.

10 hours ago, sne said:

Best thing about it, it's already died down.

Yeah they won the league and there were some clips on the telly and the obligatory articles in the papers but one day later and everyone has moved on.

Had Liverpool won they'd be banging on about it and would be people from every paper and channel on hand in Liverpool doing interviews and we'd be hearing from Ian Rush, Glenn Hysén, Jamie Squealing Carragher and a 3D hologram of Bill Shankly

Was barely mentioned in the office today. Citeh winning the league is a non event outside of Manchester. 

53 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

They have bought it, their net spend in the past 2 years alone is bigger than anyone's and that's not including paying for Guardiola who is one of the best managers in the world. Guardiola for me is clearly an excellent manager but has only delivered at enormous clubs with enormous budgets with enormous talent. I'd say in his last two jobs he has done nothing more than met expectations, did a worse job at Bayern than Heynckes and has done what was expected of him at City, although even then poor performances in Europe raise a question mark or two.

Of course they've bought it. Nobody is saying they haven't. But most teams who win league titles spend a lot of money going back to Blackburn Rovers.

The point I think people are making is you still need to have something about you to win the league, especially when winning the league is consecutive seasons of 100 points and 98 points. It's phenomenal.

I don't believe that many people, when he took over, "expected" Pep to get 100 points followed by 98 points.

There seems a desperate attempt from a lot of people to take credit away from Guardiola. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The only drastic thing stopping it is pep leaving...

City have outspent everyone for 10 years now and never looked like this before 

FFP at its best.

55 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Mansour has said beofre if UEFA try to ban City he will hire the world's 50 best lawyers and drag the case out so long that UEFA will be bankrupted lol

Haha! If UEFA try to apply their own rules, which clubs are supposed to adhere to, then he’ll use his unlimited wealth to bankrupt them! Haha 

What a great guy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Ultimately if UEFA can demonstrate that rules have been broken then it will not be a very long case at all.

a good lawyer and a lot of money can demonstrate that 2+2 = pineapple

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â