Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

I think Aguero quietly goes about being brilliant not making the headlines in same way as Kane or Salah. Kane being English naturally means people pay more attention, Salah is the main man of the darlings of Merseyside and his brilliance is still relatively new to people.

With Aguero it’s almost like people are just used to him now, so perhaps not underrated but maybe taken for granted a bit. If there’s a difference there.

Off the top of my head, he’d be in my top five strikers in the premier league (the other four probably would be Shearer, Henry, Drogba and Van Nistelrooy....sorry Wayne). He appears to be relatively likeable too, unless I’m missing or forgetting some unpleasantness from his career so while I don’t care for city winning everything, him succeeding is palatable.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Can’t stand them to be honest but relieved in a way they won the title as opposed to Liverpool. I do hope next season is different as the PL is rapidly becoming SPL. 

Agreed.

Seems like only yesterday we had a Rangers-Aberdeen CL Final, Hearts-Hibs EL Final with Celtic on for the domestic treble.

• Like 2

I don't mind City and to win 14 games on the bounce in the premier league is impressive and they needed all those wins to win the title!  Our 10 in the lower league was great but this in another level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Agreed.

Seems like only yesterday we had a Rangers-Aberdeen CL Final, Hearts-Hibs EL Final with Celtic on for the domestic treble.

I meant a one team domination of the PL. Last thing we need is them winning another 3-4 of them.It’s boring. Liverpool came close this season we need a lot more of that from other teams next season. 

4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I meant a one team domination of the PL. Last thing we need is them winning another 3-4 of them.It’s boring. Liverpool came close this season we need a lot more of that from other teams next season. 

But that's just football. It has cycles, some teams will dominate.

It's also the modern age of complete hyperbole of anything and everything. A young player scores and he's the next Messi/Ronaldo. A team wins back-to-back titles for the first time in the decade and it's domination. They barely even won it this year. If we have a repeat of 17/18 for a few years in a row, sure. But as for now, a team has run away with the PL title 0 seasons in a row.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

The premier league is boring. Youve got a few teams aiming for top 4....the rest so long as they dont finish in the bottom 3 is ok.

Hence most teams come away from home - park the bus ..hoping for a 0-0

• Like 1

He’s been on the coaching staff in some capacity or another for as long as he was at Man Utd, in fact it’s been over 20 years since he was at Old Trafford.

But I still find Brian Kidd in Man City colours just a little bit jarring.

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

He’s been on the coaching staff in some capacity or another for as long as he was at Man Utd, in fact it’s been over 20 years since he was at Old Trafford.

??? I thought he was a man city player ?

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

What I find uncomfortable is how he seems to be morphing in to Wenger. 

43 minutes ago, hippo said:

??? I thought he was a man city player ?

He played for Man City for 3 years, but he played for Man Utd for 7 years.

But I don’t know him as a player - before my time. My abiding thought of him is pretty much as Fergie’s right hand man in the 90’s.

If pushed my main thought of him as a City coach is him looking like the third wheel between Mancini and Platt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Which is my point, Liverpool were the only team who really offered any sort of challenge. Everyone else are so far off it it’s ridiculous. 

This is much too strong . . . 'any sort of challenge' makes it sound like they weren't really *that* close. In reality, they score the 3rd highest points total of the PL era and took the race to the final day. It just wasn't a walk in the park. 

To get 198 points over two seasons is incredible but everyone expected City to win the title so when someone said that they've exceeded expectations they were talking rubbish. Liverpool mightily unlucky to get 97 points and come second, though we'd never hear the end of it if they did win so thankfully they didn't. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

9 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

He played for Man City for 3 years, but he played for Man Utd for 7 years.

But I don’t know him as a player - before my time. My abiding thought of him is pretty much as Fergie’s right hand man in the 90’s.

If pushed my main thought of him as a City coach is him looking like the third wheel between Mancini and Platt.

A quick wiki shows he was at his best at Man City - made more appearances and scored more goals for man city ...I remember him as that man city player. Depends how old you are I suppose ..

Â