Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

6 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Absolutely. Top of Ligue 1 for a reason.

They've scored 84 goals in 29 games in Ligue 1 this season, PSG in second place have scored 58 and Nice have 47.   I'm only counting the cup games on Wikipedia so I might be mistaken but I think tonight has taken Monaco past 120 goals in all competitions this season, they are on for 150 at this rate.   They are a hell of an attacking force right now. 

• Like 2

knocked out in 1st Champions League qualifying round conceding 6 goals in process

out of title race in January

making up tactics on the spot after nearly a year in charge

I would say he has flopped ;)

• Like 3

Really impressed by what Monaco has done in just a few years since the owners costly divorce and the new tax rules meant they had to totally change their approach.

Gone from signing expensive stars to developing young talents.

Sidebe, N'doram, Mendy, Jameson, Bakayoko, Lemar, Silva, Fabinho and Mbappé all under 25 y.o.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

knocked out in 1st Champions League qualifying round conceding 6 goals in process

out of title race in January

making up tactics on the spot after nearly a year in charge

I would say he has flopped ;)

Of course you would say he's flopped.

He'll probably finish second in the league and could still win a trophy.

It's not good enough long term, but he's improved them since last season and he'll be expected to kick on next season.

last season they got to Champions League semi final and were well in the title race before the club undermined Pellegrini and announced Pep was joining. then they collapsed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

last season they got to Champions League semi final and were well in the title race before the club undermined Pellegrini and announced Pep was joining. then they collapsed

I see no difference for the better that Pep has made since Pellegrini was let go. I'd argue they regressed, which is okay if Pep is their long term manager. I am taking 5-10+ of Pep in charge. If Pep just stays in charge for around 3 seasons, this appointment is a failure. 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Of course you would say he's flopped.

He'll probably finish second in the league and could still win a trophy.

It's not good enough long term, but he's improved them since last season and he'll be expected to kick on next season.

I wouldn't say he has flopped but I also don't see any basis for saying he has improved them either.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I wouldn't say he has flopped but I also don't see any basis for saying he has improved them either.

I think it's fairly clear they're playing better than last season. They'll finish higher in the league and could still win a major trophy.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

They collapsed and finished 4th. 

They'd be in the title race this season if Chelsea weren't running away with it. They're as "in the title race" as anyone else in the league bar Chelsea.

It very much seems like the cool thing to say how crap Pep is. It's quite strange.

• Like 3

They must have the worst transfer policy of the PL era, beating ourselves, Leeds and QPR and any others you wish to name. I do not understand how you can spend that much money and have Sagna and Clichy are fullback and Kolorov at CB. It is actually criminal and I cannot understand why more isn't made of this. You could buy a country with the amount of shite they have wasted.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's hardly flopped.

He'll have to improve next season, and he almost certainly will (imo)

Going out in the Ro16 is a flop IMO. Especially when they're also a bit off the pace in the league. 

He spent an awful lot of money this season too, I imagine the most in world football? 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It very much seems like the cool thing to say how crap Pep is. It's quite strange.

its a very english football fan thing to do...i often wonder if fans in other countries do the same, also wonder if their media is the same, think zatman on the previous page said he's flopped being he came here to revolutionise english football and he hasnt, not sure where pep said he was going to revolutionise it, you might find someone writing for the sun saying something along those lines but i doubt it was pep himself

its way too early to tell if he's flopped or not, i was under the impression city got him in to try and end the cyclical nature of the prem over the last 3/4 years and go for a fergie type period of domination, they dont necessarily want to win the league this year and then not win it for another 3 years, they are trying to put themselves in a position where they win it 4 out of 5 years, if you say that there are 5 trophies a year available for city so in the last 5 years they could have won 25 they've only won 6, if after 5 years of pep they havent won more than 6 then yeah id agree

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

He spent an awful lot of money this season too, I imagine the most in world football? 

i dont know but maybe utd? if not then utd must at least be close and look where they are in the league

Â