Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

De Gea is world class.  He's one of the best goalkeepers in the world.  Vincent Kompany when he's fit is a world class defender.  There aren't as many WC players as there should be in the Premier League given the money at its disposal, but there's a few in there.

Kompany for me is a very overrated defender, he is average when he plays and gets stupid cards. that City look worse without him just glosses over it for me

same with De Bruyne, he is a very good player but he is not consistent enough for me to label him world class

• Like 1

I agree De Gea, Zlatan I think was! Hazard nearly but he hasn't produced it at the very highest level for his country or in the champions league. For me the world class forward players are Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, lewandowski, Bale, Neymar and Aguero.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I agree De Gea, Zlatan I think was! Hazard nearly but he hasn't produced it at the very highest level for his country or in the champions league. For me the world class forward players are Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, lewandowski, Bale, Neymar and Aguero.  

PEA got 40 goals last season for Dortmund and probably could get close to the same this season

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Kompany for me is a very overrated defender, he is average when he plays and gets stupid cards. that City look worse without him just glosses over it for me

Agree to an extent. Against the lesser teams in the league his physical attributes often get him out of a mess. Against intelligent forwards or players who know how to manipulate space between defense/midfield, he looks lost.

4 hours ago, BOF said:

? I dunno what to say really.  For me Hazard is absolutely world class.  Last season he lost his way, as did most of his team-mates, but other than that he has been top drawer and wouldn't look amiss in any side in the world, which is almost the dictionary definition.

Only thing I would say about Hazard is when has he ever done it in the latter stages of the CL or an international tournament. Remember this stuff used to be levelled at Ronaldo.

Of course he's very good in the prem but I'm struggling to recall a major dominant performance from in the later stages of the CL for Chelsea and he went completely awol when Belgium lost to Wales. Did he do much in the 2014 world cup?

I would put Alexis above him as he has played a major part in Chile winning two copa americas.

I would say Lloris is world class aswell given his level for France. 

16 hours ago, BOF said:

De Gea is world class.  He's one of the best goalkeepers in the world.  Vincent Kompany when he's fit is a world class defender.  There aren't as many WC players as there should be in the Premier League given the money at its disposal, but there's a few in there.

I'd rate Lloris higher than De Gea to be honest. Hard for me to say with my hatred of Spurs, but Lloris is right up there as one of the best in the world too.

So i agree De Gea is "world class", as is Lloris.

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

PEA got 40 goals last season for Dortmund and probably could get close to the same this season

By that yardstick you could equally class Harry Kane as world class. He's been disappointing in the AFCON hasn't he. at least he was in the game I watched.

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Only thing I would say about Hazard is when has he ever done it in the latter stages of the CL or an international tournament. Remember this stuff used to be levelled at Ronaldo.

Of course he's very good in the prem but I'm struggling to recall a major dominant performance from in the later stages of the CL for Chelsea and he went completely awol when Belgium lost to Wales. Did he do much in the 2014 world cup?

I would put Alexis above him as he has played a major part in Chile winning two copa americas.

I would say Lloris is world class aswell given his level for France. 

Yes he has all the ability to be a world class player and could well yet be., Closest there is to Messi in terms of close ball skills.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd rate Lloris higher than De Gea to be honest. Hard for me to say with my hatred of Spurs, but Lloris is right up there as one of the best in the world too.

So i agree De Gea is "world class", as is Lloris.

I agree with Lloris being world class too fwiw.  With Courtois I'd need to see more of him but the potential is there in him too.

20 hours ago, Xela said:

The definition of world class varies.

It's the most meaningless term used in football. I've yet to see anyone explain what exactly constitutes a 'world class' player. I prefer when people refer to players as the best players in their position, for example De Gea is the best keeper in the league or Courtois is one of the top 3 keepers in the world. At least that gives you some idea of the esteem the player is held in and how to judge him. Saying he's world class means bollock all to me because Paul Merson-esuqe pundits refer to every player who plays well for two games in a row as either world class or potentially world class.

:offtopic:

Edited by villa89

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

It's the most meaningless term used in football. I've yet to see anyone explain what exactly constitutes a 'world class' player. I prefer when people refer to players as the best players in their position, for example De Gea is the best keeper in the league or Courtois is one of the top 3 keepers in the world. At least that gives you some idea of the esteem the player is held in and how to judge him. Saying he's world class means bollock all to me because Paul Merson-esuqe pundits refer to every player who plays well for two games in a row as either world class or potentially world class.

Yeah it is a weird term. Maybe just being in the top 20 players or so? My mate defines it as being one of the best few at a position, but for me there is no World class right back in World football

6 hours ago, villa89 said:

That would be a good thread, to name the best player in every position. Its really subjective the term "world class". I have always thought of it as meaning the true greats of all time like Puskas, Pele, Messi etc.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yeah it is a weird term. Maybe just being in the top 20 players or so? My mate defines it as being one of the best few at a position, but for me there is no World class right back in World football

For me a world class player is a player who could walk into any team in the world and improve it.  

7 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

For me a world class player is a player who could walk into any team in the world and improve it.  

So the best 11 players in the world? For example, If de gea is the best keeper in the world then no other keeper could walk into the man United team and improve it. 

Just now, One For The Road said:

Which would indicate that De Gea is world class.

Indeed, but only him and no other keeper. I.E. According to your definition, World class = the best player in the world in a given position.

Â