Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

Seems a bit harsh. Chelsea and Abramovich have been working towards their current position and situation for a bit longer than Man City. I think at the same stage in Chelseas development under Abramovich they were getting the same criticisms. 

Wonder what people think of this Carragher article.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2972580/Manchester-City-s-ageing-squad-hopeless-Europe-reliant-Yaya-Toure.html

Have to say I disagree with nearly all of it.

It isn't like Yaya Toure's even had that great a season imo.

And borne out by Yaya's miserable efforts today. Like all football pundits Carragher (assuming he had anything to do with that column apart from having his name on it) is entirely reactive, saying the first thing that comes to mind after any incident or result. I see in that link he has a go at City's squad players for being unable to cope with cup games, for which we can immediately just answer "Bradford City" and ask where does that leave Chelsea?

I love the way that he (or his ghost writer) bemoans City's squad top-heavy with players in their late twenties and then lauds Chelsea for buying Diego Costa and Fabregas (players in the late 20s) with money raised from selling young players De Bruyne, Lukaku and Schurrle. The situation regarding Courtois is a fluke.

It's not just City who have been failing in Europe, it remains to be seen what Chelsea do this time, but last season this club with the supposedly great long term plan got their behinds firmly spanked by Atletico Madrid. In fact in the last 12 months, the top three sides in the PL have come up against the top 3 in Spain on 7 occasions with this lamentable record . Pl 7 W0 D1 L6 F3 A13.

Kompany is extremely overrated, for an apparently world class centre half his positioning is poor and he seems to make a lot of errors. They need to replace him.

I've always thought that too. Actually I think he's a very good player but he receives an avalanche of hype from pundits, so in that sense - he's overrated.

I like to compare him with a player the British media usually consider a liability - Sergio Ramos - as both are almost exactly the same age, ball-playing, aggressive centre backs who take risks. I firmly believe that Ramos is one of the most underrated players in the modern game (not outside the UK, he makes the FifPro team every year), but the difference is that Ramos has been an integral part of teams that have won every honour it's possible to win (which he has done playing both at full back and centre half) including 124 caps for the best international team in the modern era, whilst Kompany has won next to nothing.

I'd make a real effort to replace Toure with Pogba if I were City. Toure is almost 32, his commitment is questionable and he pisses off for a month every other season with the Africa cup of nations. Pogba is the next great box to box midfielder, he'll cost a hell of a lot of money but I think he'll be easier to take off Juventus than he will be from whoever buys him next if it's not City.

• Like 1

yeah he is very overrated and not just a mistake but he also has a red card in him. He wouldnt be in my top centre defenders in the Premier League 

Ramos is easily best centre half in the world

yeah he is very overrated and not just a mistake but he also has a red card in him. He wouldnt be in my top centre defenders in the Premier League 

True, Ramos would never get a red card would he?

• Like 1

True, Ramos would never get a red card would he?

thats what i was thinking!

to me ramos has even more mistakes in him, he's got pace and tons of courage which means he can get himself out of a lot of trouble, but at the same time he can also get dicked by robben like he did in the world cup, i think ramos with pepe doesnt always work and ramos with pique doesnt always work

strange how best CB in the world right now we'd be talking about ramos, pique, kompany, thiago silva... to be fair you'd then probably throw in hummels, miranda, godin maybe chiellini, i think when the hyperbole starts mentioning gary cahill and best defender in europe in the same sentence or that luiz is the worlds most expensive defender it becomes a bit clearer that its not a purple patch for CBs in world football at the moment

was the world cup great and full of goals because the attacking play was so good or because the defending was so bad?

I wonder where Ancelotti will end up once he inevitably gets the sack at Real Madrid simply as Real Madrid must sack a manager every couple of years.

To me he must be one of the top guys on the list of both Manchester clubs and even Arsenal. Plays good football, fans and players like him and he wins european cups.

I wonder where Ancelotti will end up once he inevitably gets the sack at Real Madrid simply as Real Madrid must sack a manager every couple of years.

To me he must be one of the top guys on the list of both Manchester clubs and even Arsenal. Plays good football, fans and players like him and he wins european cups.

He has already been given the white tissue treatment and booed by a small amount of fans

Everyone gets it there. If Van Gaal doesn't improve next season and they don't get top 4 this season I think he will end up at United. I'm not sure Van Gaal is totally safe as some claim. City should go all out for Simeone even if it's near impossible, they need an ugly image to get further in Europe. Pep maybe available but I'm not sure he will fancy it. That squad needs some injection of youth.

The fact is that despite all the money they have spent they haven't really improved the team in the last few seasons. The first few seasons they signed quality players like Kompany. Toure, Silva and Aguero. The last couple of years the signings have not been of that quality. I can see Aguero leaving. He's too good for City. I don[t think he's made the Barcelona team but he would get in the Real Madrid team now I think. 

Edited by PaulC

City signed Kompany before they'd been taken over by the Arabs. I think one of the reasons he gets s relatively easy ride is because he is one of the final "old" Man City players of the pre billionaire days. Ditto Joe Hart.

Â