Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Honestly the All or Nothing doc has just made it more hilarious that people still call Pep just a chequebook manager. 

Well he still signs best available players. Barca and Bayern too

If he tried his system at a shit club with no money then we see

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well he still signs best available players. Barca and Bayern too

If he tried his system at a shit club with no money then we see

I imagine he'd improve that club dramatically without being as successful as he will be at Man City. Like any good manager who tries it at a lesser club.

The reality is he never will. He continually shows that he's an excellent manager, and exactly the kind of manager huge clubs can bring in and get success with. So why would he ever take over a shit club? So you and others will always have that argument to fall back on. A bit like the "Yeah but Messi has never won a world cup" argument.

As v4e has pointed out, plenty of managers spend loads of money, Mourinho being the most recent example, and don't get the kind of success Pep gets.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

its a different skill set, managing 25 players the majority of which are borderline world class and on 6 figures a week and have come from big clubs around the world and play at the highest level internationally requires a different management to those players who play at a lesser club, footballers are far more precious than people think, pep can do things with the worlds best players that again jose at utd is showing that he cant do, the respect isn't there and the opportunism to drop off in football is horrific

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2018 at 16:17, Zatman said:

Benjamin Mendy wont be at Man City much longer by the sounds of reports. People at club comparing his attitude to Balotelli :crylaugh:

Wonder which of the Milano clubs he'll end up at?

My money is on AC Milan.

On 02/09/2018 at 18:49, Stevo985 said:

As v4e has pointed out, plenty of managers spend loads of money, Mourinho being the most recent example, and don't get the kind of success Pep gets.

On 02/09/2018 at 20:07, villa4europe said:

pep can do things with the worlds best players that again jose at utd is showing that he cant do, the respect isn't there and the opportunism to drop off in football is horrific

Isn't it easy to cherry pick though? While I certainly appreciate it's what I am doing now, the above comments don't necessarily tell the whole story. Jose has spent the same as Everton since he took over United, over £150m less than Pep's City. And he managed top, top players in his wins at Chelsea, Inter, Madrid and Chelsea v2, surely?

Take nothing away from Pep, he's done an outstanding job at City. But these debates will never go away because individual football fans value certain aspects of the game over others, some Jose has been better at, some Pep has. Same with the whole Ronaldo v Messi debate.

20 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Isn't it easy to cherry pick though? While I certainly appreciate it's what I am doing now, the above comments don't necessarily tell the whole story. Jose has spent the same as Everton since he took over United, over £150m less than Pep's City. And he managed top, top players in his wins at Chelsea, Inter, Madrid and Chelsea v2, surely?

Take nothing away from Pep, he's done an outstanding job at City. But these debates will never go away because individual football fans value certain aspects of the game over others, some Jose has been better at, some Pep has. Same with the whole Ronaldo v Messi debate.

Mourinho needs to stop moaning about money and show how good his managerial skills are, then.  Instead, he throws his toys out the pram, talks about the past ("respect, 3 times") and alienates players.

His stock is falling whilst Guardiola's is increasing.  They both spend loads, but the gulf in quality and class is growing rapidly.

In this country? Yes i think so

The fact that his stock was so low and he has so many doubters in the first place is another thing 

Jose will be the other way around, i woild lazily guess the opinion of him here was much higher than everywhere else

• Like 1

If he stays for 10 years, they will win 10 titles in a row.

They may lose the odd game here and there but they obliterate everyone else. It may get like the end of Bayern where he starts playing proper reserves in the league to go for the Champions League win.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them go undefeated at some point in the next three seasons.

• 1 month later...

I very nearly put this in the media and punditry thread as the quality of independent media on YouTube and in podcasts often puts established outlets to shame, but as this is explicitly about City and dirty money then perhaps it belongs here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

I very nearly put this in the media and punditry thread as the quality of independent media on YouTube and in podcasts often puts established outlets to shame, but as this is explicitly about City and dirty money then perhaps it belongs here. 

I posted some videos from Tifo in that thread before. Brilliant site

On 21/10/2018 at 08:58, villa4europe said:

In this country? Yes i think so

The fact that his stock was so low and he has so many doubters in the first place is another thing 

Agree with this 100%

When Pep came here the amount of doubters in this country was hilarious. 

Even in this thread he was constantly labelled as a chequebook manager (still is by some).

Â