Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

On 08/10/2017 at 10:53, PaulC said:

Who Chris.? Bayern nope. Real Madrid, Barcelona and PSG are the only teams they have to worry about outside England. They have a great chance imo

They've a puncher's chance.  On their day they can beat anyone.  But they need to have their day every day, and if there's one thing they are, it's inconsistent in Yurp.  Bayern are also a different prospect now under Heynckes I'd wager.

On 10/6/2017 at 18:14, VillaChris said:

Man. United haven't been that bad to watch this season. They're smashed 4-5 teams by 4 goals.

Of course Mourinho is pragmatic in big games particularly away from home. Pep might have to be at some stage this season aswell to get over the line.

The results have masked some of the performances to be honest.  In many games, they've been winning 1-0 and looking comfortable but nothing special - only to score 3 or 4 goals in the last 10 minutes when the other team finally bothers to come forward.  They've played absolutely no-one of note.  Potentially Everton (83rd, 89th and 92nd minute goals), but that's about it.  Aside from that Everton game, their spankings have been against teams who have looked woeful so far - possibly including Everton tbh - West Ham (87th, 90th), Swansea (80th, 82nd, 84th) and Crystal Palace (just one! 86th).

Man Utd look much more solid and obviously have had a great start, but City look to be a distance ahead of them in terms of the way they're playing.  As you rightly say, Mourinho is so good in big games at sitting back and killing the game - so the derbies will be particularly intriguing this season given the likelihood that both teams will be up there.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They've played absolutely no-one of note.  Potentially Everton (83rd, 89th and 92nd minute goals), but that's about it.  Aside from that Everton game, their spankings have been against teams who have looked woeful so far - possibly including Everton tbh - West Ham (87th, 90th), Swansea (80th, 82nd, 84th) and Crystal Palace (just one! 86th).

United's problem last season was dropping points against the nobodies.  Not the top sides.  In Old Trafford alone, they drew with Stoke, Burnley, West Ham, Hull, Bournemouth, West Brom & Swansea.  So the fact they've gone from drawing those to absolutely battering them is exactly the progress they wanted.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

United's problem last season was dropping points against the nobodies.  Not the top sides.  In Old Trafford alone, they drew with Stoke, Burnley, West Ham, Hull, Bournemouth, West Brom & Swansea.  So the fact they've gone from drawing those to absolutely battering them is exactly the progress they wanted.

Yeah - I agree.  I guess my point is that they haven't been as convincing as the results are (if that makes sense).  Sort of like how we've been over recent games.

(I think they've only played West Ham at Old Trafford out of the teams you've listed, haven't they?)

Just now, bobzy said:

I guess my point is that they haven't been as convincing as the results are (if that makes sense).

Yeah it makes sense.  Scoreline slightly flattering them.  I haven't seen all of their games so I don't know whether the late goals are as a result of wearing the opposition down and putting them to the sword when their legs have gone.  Often late goals like that are as a result of the previous 80 minutes of effort but I can't know if that's the case here.  I do know it's ominous that they've re-discovered Fergie's ability to score regularly at the death in games.  The weekend's game should hopefully be a belter too :D 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, a m ole said:

the talent at their disposal is ridiculous, but you can see Guardiola’s mark on that team. even with the resources that was seriously impressive.

Without a doubt but how good is Kevin De Bruyne. If there is a better passer of the ball in world football I would like to see it. He is amazing. Just think that the special one let him go for next to nothing to wolfsberg. Whats he worth now 150 mil?

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Without a doubt but how good is Kevin De Bruyne. If there is a better passer of the ball in world football I would like to see it. He is amazing. Just think that the special one let him go for next to nothing to wolfsberg. Whats he worth now 150 mil?

That ball through to Sane from near the half way line was absolutely unreal. To play the ball on the floor like that through 3/4 defenders at that distance is special. Have to say they clearly know exactly where each other are on the pitch at any time and that helps bring out the best in De Bruyne. perfect match of player and system.

Looks like I'll have to eat my words, Man. City look on a different level to everyone in the prem. Most impressive result for me was them going to Watford and beating them 6-0, Watford have had a great start to the season.

It will amuse me though if they continue to beat teams by 5s and 6s while Real Madrid and Barca get narrow wins in La Liga. Would stop the lazy assumption that every game in the premier league is a hard one especially if City then fall short in the CL.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Premier League is of poor standard, that's why. 

what leagues  in Europe are of higher standard? For me its only a matter of time before the Premier League dominates Europe. other leagues cant compete. 

Not sure La Liga is anymore. The lower teams are really really poor compared to the lower teams in the Premier League. Yes Real Madrid and Barcelona have been a higher level for some time but I can see the balance of power changing. 

I would say position for position a Spanish team would beat an English team. Getafe or Leganes would make lower table Premier League teams chase the ball for 90 minutes even with cheaper players

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Traditionally the lower half Spanish teams usually do better in the europa league.

Maybe that's because our teams cant be bothered. Much more to loose by getting relegated from the Premier League than La Liga.  Liverpool thrashed Villareal a couple of season back but lost to Sevilla. But Leicester beat Sevilla last season. Chelsea dominated Atletico in their own back yard. la Liga were ahead but not convinced they are now. 

• 2 weeks later...

So City fail to win a match without a shootout and straight away bitching Pep is back, this time blaming the ball they had to use. (Which by the way is the one used in the football league every week and which City used in previous rounds)

He really is odious when he doesn’t get his own way.

• Like 3

Â