Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

I missed the news last week they've announced a sleeve sponsor for next season, some Korean tyre company, rumoured to be a deal worth £10m but I'm not sure if that's split over x number of years, still be worth more than some main shirt sponsors in the league

footballs gone and never coming back

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Kompany makes Kolorov look like Baresi. 

I dont know how he is so hyped. Kompany really is an average player at best, I suppose its the Villa syndrome that a player looks better the less they play

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont know how he is so hyped. Kompany really is an average player at best, I suppose its the Villa syndrome that a player looks better the less they play

Not having that, kompany in his prime is a great defender who can organise and lead the defence. 

He's similar to John terry in his importance to their defensive unit and they have been appalling without him. 

To call him average at best is posting for effect, he clearly is a good player. 

(I agree that we (villa fans) have a tendency to forget how poor players are when they're injured and big them up - only to be brought heavily back down to earth when they return!)

• Like 1

Kompany was physically superb. Positionally I've never been impressed. I wouldn't have him up there with the likes of Rio, Terry or Vidic of the past 10 years or so personally. 

• Like 1

No doubt they will spend over £200m, supposedly Kyle Walker one of the targets. They are too heavily invested in the Pep project for it to fail.

Spending their way out of trouble, United will do the same.

I must say Chelsea have spent a lot of money and they are equally guility in spending their way of trouble but in Conte I have seen Moses improve from being tossed around club to club to a fantastic wing back, Hazard back to to his near best, Luiz has improved under him and whilst Ake hasn't played a lot he obviously has him in his plans going forward. He has improved players, he coaches them and it shows on the pitch. I've not seen any of that this season under Mourinho or Pep.

• Like 1

my continued criticism of chelsea is how they're killing youth football, won the league 4 years running now i think, none of them are getting a sniff, conte has to improve that next season

pep should in theory should be doing some good stuff behind the scenes at city meaning they'll have several quality players coming through in the next 4/5 years meaning they dont have to spend £200m every summer

Edited by villa4europe

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Not having that, kompany in his prime is a great defender who can organise and lead the defence. 

He's similar to John terry in his importance to their defensive unit and they have been appalling without him. 

To call him average at best is posting for effect, he clearly is a good player. 

(I agree that we (villa fans) have a tendency to forget how poor players are when they're injured and big them up - only to be brought heavily back down to earth when they return!)

He has never looked comfortable playing against us and we were crap. I remember the Weimann goal and he let the ball bounce in front of him

Buy a DM, GK, and a CB, and I think they challenge for the title next season. Jesus and Aguero are a great 1-2 striker duo. Plus Iheanacho is still an option who I think is very good and needs to leave City. De Bruyne is still one of the best attacking mids in the league (despite pep trying to play him as CM). Their midfield depth for the most part is great. Toure, Fernandinho, Silva, Gundogan, Fernando, and even the snake. Defense is getting old so they need someone to come in there. I think Stones is a decent CB, but he needs a proper DM in front of him. 

• Like 1

My worry if I were a City fan would be that Pep hasn't actually worked anything out yet. 

It's likely hell be spending another £200m again this summer, which means more players, more time needed for the squad to gel. Then it's still clear he hasn't got a system.

His lineups early in the season were like a kid playing FIFA, Gundogan as essentially the sole midfielder with 5 attackers in front of him, it's no wonder their record with him in the side is awful, it was a mental way to play. 

They will finish 3rd or 4th, not great but not a disaster. Meanwhile Mourinho is wonderful because he has got Man U to 5th, Europa league semi and a cup competition that even SHA have won twice despite having a far stronger squad than Klopp has at liverpool

Aside from Ibra and DGD, man for man, I'm not sure which United players I'd take over Liverpool. Some of the bench possibly, but then United have played probably 20 more games than Liverpool this season. 

Think the youngsters + Mkhitaryan have really let Jose down this season. 

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Aside from Ibra and DGD, man for man, I'm not sure which United players I'd take over Liverpool. Some of the bench possibly, but then United have played probably 20 more games than Liverpool this season. 

Think the youngsters + Mkhitaryan have really let Jose down this season. 

It depends on how you're playing when comparing teams, I guess.

I'd take most of the Man Utd defence over Liverpool's, and probably Herrera in midfield too.  There's an argument for Pogba given his cost, and he's certainly better than Liverpool's central midfielders, but I'd rather have Coutinho over him if playing that attacking trio.  The teams probably sum up their managers quite well - I'd take Man Utd's defence and Liverpool's attack.

Man City have the stronger midfield/attack out of all of them.  Middlesbrough scoring 2 against them is absolutely bonkers, even if you assume they've started to "fight for their lives".  That defence remains much worse than it should be.  They don't particularly have much to do but, when they do, it goes pear shaped.

• 2 weeks later...

Real Betis are in talks with Manchester City over signing Spain striker Nolito for a fee of about £3.4m.

Nolito, 30, joined City for £13.8m from Celta Vigo in July and has made 19 Premier League appearances for Pep Guardiola's side, scoring four goals.

However, he has only started the FA Cup win at Huddersfield in 2017.

Betis, 15th in La Liga, would be his fourth Spanish club - though his reported £100,000-a-week wages could prove an issue for them.

Will. They. Never. Learn?

Â