Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

Pep again proves he cant really win the big games without Messi, Xavi and Iniesta ;)

Even then only 2011 was a clear victory as 2009 is arguably tainted by that Chelsea game which VAR would have probably seen Barcelona beaten by 4 or 5 goals

• Like 1

Doesnt matter how much you dominate if you cant defend. 

How much has Pep wasted on the likes of Walker, Danilo, Mendy and Laporte?

Their best defender is still Kompany, he just cant run anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

No idea how they managed to not win that one. They were completely dominant almost the entire game.

Pep CL curse strikes again?

For all his domestic success, you can't really argue that he hasn't taken both Bayern and City backwards in the CL. He just doesn't come close or gets battered these days. 

• Like 1

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

For all his domestic success, you can't really argue that he hasn't taken both Bayern and City backwards in the CL. He just doesn't come close or gets battered these days. 

especially at Bayern.

This time I think they were unlucky thou.

45 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Another season of failure in the CL.

At least their owners will never got bored given they don’t actually own the club for football reasons. 

I mean they’ll probably win 3 domestic trophies. 

No doubt they want the champions league more than any of them. 

But it’s not like they’re doing badly is it?

but Guardiola was brought in to win the Champions League, he has spent nearly 500 million in 3 seasons yet hasnt got further than Pellegrini in Champions League. Not like he got beaten by one of the Big 3 of Bayern, Real or Barcelona in any of them seasons but Monaco, Liverpool and Spurs

Just like Bayern, City have gone backwards in Europe under him

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but Guardiola was brought in to win the Champions League, he has spent nearly 500 million in 3 seasons yet hasnt got further than Pellegrini in Champions League. Not like he got beaten by one of the Big 3 of Bayern, Real or Barcelona in any of them seasons but Monaco, Liverpool and Spurs

Yeah I think it's both.

I've not considered Man City as favorite for the CL title in any season under Pep (I did when he was at Bayern) so no surprise they hasn't won the title.

The competition at the top is really hard and there have been better team than City each year.

But at the same time, as you say, it's not against those teams that City has come unstuck.

With Bayern he should have won. They were THE best team in the competition more than once.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean they’ll probably win 3 domestic trophies. 

No doubt they want the champions league more than any of them. 

But it’s not like they’re doing badly is it?

No mate, but that’s why I specifically referenced the CL in my post. They’ve won everything else but the CL remains beyond them.

It’s still a great season but the main prize still eludes them. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You put far too much emphasis on money.  It doesn't really matter what the price or the contract of a player is, that's often not down to the manager.  I mean, if man city come knocking, we know as well as anyone, you slap £20m on the valuation. 

Other teams do try and win at football too, and will try hard to do it.  It's just 11 people playing football at the end of the day, money clouds peoples judgement. Admittedly, money does tend to get you better players, but I suppose that's only natural.  

You can't say he hasn't "trained" them well though, to get half-way through April and still be challenging for 4 trophies is a feat in itself. 

• Like 3

Pep has failed because he thought he could get away with not picking his best team at Spurs and play for a draw. Last season he was too attacking at Anfield. he didn't get the balance right. His own fault really. He has the better team, he should have won the tie. If Klopp now beats him to the title, this season will be a big failure despite winning two trophies.  

Â