Do people from Solihull consider themselves to be Brummies?

TRS-T

I'm with sbaldie. Solihull isn't part of Brum and never was... you can tell by talking to the f**ktards who live there. You'll be hard pressed to find an uglier populated town in the developed western world . It's a nonce haven and has more paedo's per square inch than anywhere in Europe. The name Solihull derives from "Soul-less hell hole" and was mentioned in the Magna Carta as being the regional kiddy fiddling capital .

All true.

I still use the "hard g" sound in words like "sinGinG", for example.

Jesus is THAT what it is? All through my university life all of my friends (none of them are from the midlands, most from down south) laugh their ass off at me when I say singing or ringing. I thought it was just me but it must be an regional thing.

That being said, I don't have a brummie accent at all, I have a pretty generic english accent with a hint of midlands thrown in I think, it's hard to describe. My family are from Four Oaks and Solihill though so I must have some parts of the accent.

Weird that I don't have a stronger accent really though. I'm from Lichfield originally and all of my friends I grew up with all have brummie accents, so it stretches as far as the south of Staffordshire.

I've lived in Leeds for 40 years and I'm a Brummie.

Do you speak with a Brummie accent :lol:

Hardly at all anymore. When I first moved here I had trouble communicating with the locals, but not anymore. Although accent spotters can usually identify my origins from the way I say certain words - I still use the "hard g" sound in words like "sinGinG", for example.

Aren't the "g"s in "singing" hard anyway?

If the postcode starts with a B - it's in Birmingham.

I often send out letters to Solihull and always put Solihull, Birmingham in the address - it drives the buggers mad.

The postcode of Tamworth is B77 and that's certainly not in Brum, although I would like it to be absorbed by Birmingham as telling people you are from Tamworth is shit.

Oh how far the 6th-8th century capital of all England has fallen.

I've lived in Leeds for 40 years and I'm a Brummie.

Do you speak with a Brummie accent :lol:

Hardly at all anymore. When I first moved here I had trouble communicating with the locals, but not anymore. Although accent spotters can usually identify my origins from the way I say certain words - I still use the "hard g" sound in words like "sinGinG", for example.

Aren't the "g"s in "singing" hard anyway?

Hard to describe this without sound files. But those "g"s are much less pronounced in standard British English (and American English for that matter) than the way Brummies do it. The non-Brummy "g" is there, but definitely a bit softer, closer to a glottal stop.

As I wrote it above, try to imagine the difference between "singing" and "sinGGinGG".

The concept of where you are "from" is an interesting one.

I was born in Northampton, moved to a tiny village near Evesham when I was 6 months old, and then moved to Kent when I was 7. I'll be 30 this year but Northampton will always be "home".

Whenever I go back to visitt family leaving the M1 at Daventry is always like returning to my "people".

Very strange.

I'm with sbaldie. Solihull isn't part of Brum and never was... you can tell by talking to the fucktards who live there. You'll be hard pressed to find an uglier populated town in the developed western world . It's a nonce haven and has more paedo's per square inch than anywhere in Europe. The name Solihull derives from "Soul-less hell hole" and was mentioned in the Magna Carta as being the regional kiddy fiddling capital .

All true.

I live there.

So, if I'ma fucktard, you are a w anker

Solihull has never ever been part of Birmingham.

I am a Sillhillian born & bred & I dont class myself as a Brummie, never have, never will.

IMO the Solihull accent sounds a posh version of Brummie...

...Just my two bobs worth :D

That was always my opinion and I lived in Solihull until I was 32.

Even now I live in Northumberland I always state I come from Solihull not Birmingham when asked

Even now I live in Northumberland I always state I come from Solihull not Birmingham when asked

and then people look at you with a blank expression, until you give up and have to explain its location as next to/part of Birmingham.

i always say i live in Bham to outsiders, but i say Solihull to someone from the West Midlands.

Trst are you preparing a thesis about the socio-demographic of Birmingham or something? You love makin these kinda threads, man

All I remember about so-lee-hull is that it had some nice shops and it didn't seem much like Birmingham to me. Although they did sound Brummy.

Which makes me wonder...where do people start to sound Brummy? How east of Brum do you have to get. They don't sound Brummy where I live...how bout that, Trst?

Lol I dunno I just think of random intriguing questions.

Apparently the Coventry accent is more East Midlands than West Midlands.

Coventry is separated from the rest of the West Midlands so that's probably why.

The Borough of Solihull borders Brum & Cov, Yet we are never considered from Coventry (perish the thought)

But apparently as I am a native of Solihull I`m a f*cktard, paedo etc... but it could be worse though...I could`ve been called a nose :D

You should never be ashamed of your grass roots, Birmingham being my a very proud Brummie.

Birmingham seems to have a bad reputation as a whole, including media and the general public. Seriously judging a City by it's accent is all to pathetic and insecure.

If people from Solihull think they are better than the people of Birmingham in terms of quality then more the fool them...most of the money they earn is from Birmingham...

Remember... There is ALWAYS someone 'better' than you.

Not me thou, I have a lovely 3 year old daughter that money will NEVER buy, no one is better than me or happier. She lives in Birmingham, with me.

North Solihull also known as Chelmsley Wood,Kingshurst etc class themselves as brummies for defo as South Solihull hate the North and would love to dispose of it as it's where most of the crime comes from and the Northerners of Solihull hate the South as they think they are stuck up arseholes as you can tell i am from the North and there is a great North South divide for real.

I was born in Solihull so my Mum always says.... but normally I say Brum.

Technically I'm right because the hospital IIRC was in Brum. However my Mum insists that as I lived for a good few years in Willow Road

as a tot...I should be hereto known as officially born in Solihull.

Yay I'm posher than what some of you are no doubt!

And what about people from the Solihull Borough but not actually from the Town of Solihull i.e. Chelmsley Wood, Castle Bromwich, Marston Green etc?

And those places are obviously in Birmingham regardless of what an imaginary line drew purely for electoral reasons means. Geographically they are all part of Birmingham, its just that they have to pay higher council tax and dont get shitty bin collections.

True but it's great for winding up the noses when they start with their patter regarding most brummies being noses.

Besides, Aston parish covered most of Solihull so we're all Astonians in reality.

The Borough of Solihull borders Brum & Cov, Yet we are never considered from Coventry (perish the thought)

But apparently as I am a native of Solihull I`m a f*cktard, paedo etc... but it could be worse though...I could`ve been called a nose :D

Just a bit of banter fella . Solihull is a lovely place . :D

Â