Solar panels

mjmooney

On the topic of panels while I can see the positives of them I personally think to fit them people should have to obtain planning permission because you are dramatically altering the look of your house. A friend of mine lives in a victorian semi detached house and his neighbour has just plastered them all over his roof. The look of his house is terrible and it will have an impact on the value of my friends house when he comes to sell.

I moved house a couple of months ago to a house that is part of a conservation area.

I couldn't get solar panels fitted even if I wanted to, which i do (though not on the front). In fact I can't alter anything that would change the look of the front of the house. Which is a bugger as the front windows are sash windows and not double glazed, and the front door is of the old wooden variety and not air tight. So it's fookin freezin in winter!

The house looks cool though, so I can't complain too much. Style over comfort :lol:

On the topic of panels while I can see the positives of them I personally think to fit them people should have to obtain planning permission because you are dramatically altering the look of your house. A friend of mine lives in a victorian semi detached house and his neighbour has just plastered them all over his roof. The look of his house is terrible and it will have an impact on the value of my friends house when he comes to sell.
Next door has them. I will ask her what she thinks, but she's away at the moment. The house on the left is mine:

Panels.jpg

Time to burglarize when the Moon man is at work .... although it could be an elaborate bluff and then house on the left is some coppers house or something.

The house looks cool though, so I can't complain too much. Style over comfort :lol:

Always! :D

Although I never knew shettled accomodation could be that stylish.

Indeed it can :winkold:

although you did slip up with a bit of exquisite Demglish:

shettled.

:mrgreen:

We had a quote for them recently. Big initial outlay. They make a big deal out of the government giving you a sum for any power you are able to export, IIRC. However, the government is increasingly trying to cut/ditch that policy and recently went to court over it (and lost).

It also, unsurprisingly, depends massively on the size and orientation of your roof. The bloke we had out was able to do a cost/saving calculation based on our rough size and orientation, effectively settling us into the 'average' level of potential savings using 2 aspects of our roof.

I wasn't that convinced, especially given the cost, but if you had the money and didn't mind spending it, and planned on sticking around in that house, it might make sense.

There was something on dragons den thy got a deal whereby you lease your roof space to the company and they install the panels an then they use your property to generate renewable energy. Somehing like that.

Worked out you could make a fair few hundred quid a year

Nice house although your drive looks as narrow as a Liverpool fan's mind.
Since Google StreetView took that we've had the drive redone - it's now block paved and the entrance is a bit wider. But yes, it is still on the narrow side.

take the initial installation cost (lets say £12k)

divide it by the 'estimated saving' per annum (let's go mental and say £800)

12000 / 800 = 15

presume absolutely no maintenance costs

presume full efficiency for full life of product

will they realistically last more than 15 years?

nobody knows, will the installer give you a 20 year guarantee? No.

I've presumed rises in fuel costs will be offset by rises in inflation / pay etc

right now, they don't make sound economic sense

better to switch off stuff at night, charge your phone in the office, super insulate and get used to the idea of wearing a jumper in winter

but the day they are a good idea for people with south west facing roof area is getting closer

• 6 years later...

Thread revival!

So this was discussed 6 years ago, but does anyone have them now, and would you recommend them?

I've just moved into a new house with a south-facing garden (so the panels wouldn't be on the front of the house), which I expect to be in for another 25-30 years, at least, and I'm wondering if solar panels would be a decent investment. 

I had an enquiry with Eon a few weeks ago, who gave me two different quotes.

One was without the additional battery for storage, and said that it would cost £4900, would take 13 years to repay the investment, and then I would be creating 25% of my own annual energy, and continuing to earn the money by selling energy back to the grid.

The second quote was with the additional battery, and would cost £7900, which would take 16 years to repay the investment, and then I would be creating 43% of my own energy whilst continuing to earn.

I read something a few days ago that because solar panels are becoming cheaper all the time, the rate that the government will buy the energy off you for is decreasing too. I'm guessing there are better ways to invest a spare £5k-£8k, but I am tempted, simply because I've literally just moved into a new house that I'm going to spend most of my life in.

Had ours for about 3 or 4 years, 14 panels on the south-facing roof.

Through a company called A Shade Greener, they were completely free. That's because any unused electricity goes back into the grid and the company gets a bung, instead of you (if you'd paid for them).

I can run my dishwasher and tumble dryer cost-free on sunny days, best to use just one machine when it's not so bright, but our bills have come down a fair bit.

• Like 1

Not a good investment at this time.  As you said, they are becoming cheaper all the time.  Back in 2009 when I started in the energy gig, the cost of set up was about 15 grand, but the payments back out of them were something ridiculous like 45p per kWh generated.

Whilst I admit it's been about 2 years since I last had much involvement, the systems were about 6-9k for a house but the paybacks per kWh were down to 4/5p.

You be better off waiting until the systems are even cheaper, because I can't see the paybacks dropping below 4/5p per kWh.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

There you go Rob, the advantages of asking online.

You've had three responses:

It's neutral.

It's great.

It's crap.

That's that subject sorted. 

I'll just put all my money on Villa to get promoted next season, that should return a couple of million.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There you go Rob, the advantages of asking online.

You've had three responses:

It's neutral.

It's great.

It's crap.

That's that subject sorted. 

Only 1 pro though ? :D  

That said though @Rob182, if you are planning on staying for 25+ years, it will eventually (if the Feed in Tariff stays as is..) give you pay backs, but you'll likely be dead from girl strength before then ?

Edited by lapal_fan

14 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Only 1 pro though ? :D  

That said though @Rob182, if you are planning on staying for 25+ years, it will eventually (if the Feed in Tariff stays as is..) give you pay backs, but you'll likely be dead from girl strength before then ?

I'm sure I can think of a better way to invest my money. I'm thinking about getting a second property to rent out, but with the current loan-to-value requirements I'll need to wait until some shares mature next year before I get close to what I need.

Or... if the next few babies are girls, I'll just make a British all-girl Jackson 5 inspired pop group. Although music has proved to be a big drain on my money in the last 15 years.... so maybe not :D

Â