Cheltenham 2012 Thread

YankeeinMadrid

Last year's Cheltenham thread was very informative. I went to the Gold Cup day and it was a great experience. I was terrible on the betting side of things though!!

Questions:

Obviously, betting online will give you the best odds right? It just seems less exciting as when you can bet at the course and get paid then and there. Is there another way to do it??

What's the difference between tote betting and regular betting?

Can someone explain a basic betting strategy? Last year I think i put 10 on each race and lost all but 1. Can someone explain each way betting and all the different types of bets? I never bet on horses in the US, but I think the terminology is different (win-place-show etc).

I'm going on an organised trip on Friday, so should be fun like last year:

Get on coaches at around 830ish from the law courts (insert joke here), full English at a pub just outside of Cheltenham, THE RACES, dinner back at the pub and a whole lot of betting, banter and boozing obviously!!

Let's get the Cheltenham 2012 Thread rolling!

Obviously, betting online will give you the best odds right? It just seems less exciting as when you can bet at the course and get paid then and there. Is there another way to do it??

Any high street bookies.

As you say, the benefits of online betting include normally better prices but also you can get better place terms, guaranteed odds and the odd free bet (Ladbrokes were doing one of £5 for today).

What's the difference between tote betting and regular betting?

The Tote is a pool betting system which is the same thing you have at the track in the US.

Other betting (i.e. with bookies) is fixed odds stuff - that is, they make their own book and decisions on the prices they offer. SP is the starting price which is an assessment of the average price offered by bookmakers on the course (or at least it used to be).

Can someone explain a basic betting strategy? Last year I think i put 10 on each race and lost all but 1. Can someone explain each way betting and all the different types of bets? I never bet on horses in the US, but I think the terminology is different (win-place-show etc).

Look at doing some multiples (a Yankee, for example ;-) - that is four selections and 11 bets: doubles, trebles and a fourtimer) and for a meeting like Cheltenham chucking a ound or two on a placepot/jackpot is often worth an interest as sometimes the placepot can pay a few grand to a £1 stake.

If you back something each way then you are betting on it to win and/or place.

A £5 e/w bet will cost you £10 and is a £5 win bet and a £5 place bet. The place terms differ according to the kind of race and number of runners but generally, at Cheltenham, the terms will be 1/4 each race (as it's a special meeting and it's one of the usual offers).

Token selections for today (for the Torygraph fantasy cheltenham thingy):

• Tuesday, March 13

• Race 1 - 1:30 Galileo's Choice

• Race 2 - 2:05 Sprinter Sacre

• Race 3 - 2:40 Magnanimity

• Race 4 - 3:20 Hurricane Fly

• Race 5 - 4:00 Balthazar King

• Race 6 - 4:40 Swincombe Flame

• Race 7 - 5:15 Mic's Delight

Betting on the Tote offers a slightly simpler way for punters to place a bet. They have outlets all over every racecourse and are easy to find.

Bet on the Tote at Ladbrokes

The major difference between betting with the Tote and in the Betting Ring is that when you place a bet with the bookmakers you know the price you are getting. That is not the case on the Tote because it is pool betting.

Pool Betting Pool Betting is the system whereby all the money gambled on a particular bet – for instance a single win – goes into a pool. The Tote takes out its percentage and the rest of the money is divided between the winning tickets. The odds are often similar to those offered by the bookmakers because punters will watch both and not allow one to be overly different to the other –especially on those near the top of the betting (the Tote have screens allowing punters to see what the odds are on each horse but no-one can tell the final odds until after the race).

One thing to note about the Tote is that because it attracts more inexperienced punters, those horses with popular sounding names or connections, especially on big days, are a lot shorter odds than they should be.

Types of Tote Bets The different type of Tote bets are as follows:

Pick the winner of the race. Minimum bet £2.

Pick a horse to be placed in the race. Minimum bet £2. Your selections need to be placed as follows:

Up to 4 runners – no place betting

5 – 7 runners – 1st and 2nd

8+ runners – 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Handicap 16+ runners – 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

A very popular way of betting, this is simply a totewin bet and a toteplace bet on the same horse. Minimum total stake £4 (i.e. £2 win and £2 place).

Pick the horses to finish 1st and 2nd in the correct order. A reverse toteexacta or a combination toteexacta will increase the chances of winning. This is obviously more difficult than just picking the winner, but the rewards are potentially much greater. Minimum total spend £2.

Pick the horses to finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the correct order in a totetrifecta race. Minimum total spend £2.

Pick a horse to be placed in each of the six toteplacepot races (normally the first six races on the card). You can choose more than one horse in any of the races to increase your chances of winning. Minimum total spend £2.

A popular bet if you’ve missed the start of the toteplacepot or it has fallen by the wayside before the 3rd race. As before, just pick a horse to be placed in each of the four totequadpot races which are normally races 3, 4, 5 and 6. Minimum total spend £1.

Pick the winners of the six totejackpot races at the nominated totejackpot meeting each day. You can choose more than one horse in any of the races to increase your chances of winning. Minimum total spend £2.

Tote Scoop 6 Pick at least one horse in the six nominated televised races each Saturday. Get all six winners to scoop a potentially massive dividend and qualify for a big money bonus. Even finding a placed horse in every race pays an average dividend of over £500 to a £1 stake. Minimum spend £2 per line.

These are my bets today. I have no idea about any of the horses but I've made a tidy little profit the last few years, just from tips from message boards, etc. VT had some good tips last year too. Good luck!

£1-Quantitativeeasing @13/2 E/W (14:40)

£2-Zarkandar @15/2 WIN (15:20)

£2-Agent Archie @33/1 E/W (13:30)

Clare Balding on Twitter is giving her daily tips, seems quite good.

10/1 upwards

Carrickboy 5.15 Cheltenham

Worth an each way bet in fine form and trained by V williams put a tenner on myself

As for the gold cup its long run's race to lose can't see kauto putting up much of a challenge with his recent injury problems

Will I get much worse odds betting on the day at the track?

Unless things have changed, it should depend on where you are.

The prices in the ring in Tatts used to be slightly better than in the ring for the cheap seats but the main advice is to shop around. I've seen some major differences along the line at many places most especially Cheltenham.

I had four bets today and four losers :( Hopefully tomorrow will bring better luck.

I got a limit of £10 a day on the old betting money so I need a win to be able to bet on every race lol!

Is a Lucky 15 pretty much likely to bag me some cash?

How does it work?

It'll depend whether you put the right horses in it. ;-)

It's 15 bets: 4 singles, 6 doubles, 4 trebles and a fourtimer.

So it costs 15 times your basic stake (or 30 if you do it e/w).

A lot of bookies do bonuses on them such as double the odds or, occasionally, treble the odds for one winner and a 10% bonus for four winners.

If you pick five selection then it's a Lucky 31, six and it's a Lucky 63.

Take out the singles and the bets are a Yankee, Super Yankee and a Heinz.

Is a Lucky 15 pretty much likely to bag me some cash?

How does it work?

It'll depend whether you put the right horses in it. ;-)

It's 15 bets: 4 singles, 6 doubles, 4 trebles and a fourtimer.

So it costs 15 times your basic stake (or 30 if you do it e/w).

A lot of bookies do bonuses on them such as double the odds or, occasionally, treble the odds for one winner and a 10% bonus for four winners.

If you pick five selection then it's a Lucky 31, six and it's a Lucky 63.

Take out the singles and the bets are a Yankee, Super Yankee and a Heinz.

Cheers Snowy! :thumb:

Would you advise doing it e/w?*

Any tips for today?

*i know bugger all about horses & betting! :lol:

Cheers Snowy! :thumb:

Would you advise doing it e/w?*

Any tips for today?

*i know bugger all about horses & betting! :lol:

No probs.

At somewhere like Cheltenham, for a bit of fun and considering the prices on offer, I'd normally do a little e/w lucky 15 as four placed horses can give a nice little return.

I have no tips, I will post my token selections (just having a challenge against a mate on the Torygraph fantasy competition).

Don't consider them tips, though, as I only had one winner yesterday (Balthazar King in the X Country Chase which was heavily punted in to 11/2 from an early 11s) and it's only ever a bit of fun for me. :)

The one thing I would recommend is trying to find somewhere that gives guaranteed odds (most places on line will do it especially for Cheltenham) so that means that you can take the prices when you place your bet and know that if the price they return at is bigger, you'll get the bigger price.

Wednesday, March 14

• Race 1 - 1:30 Harry The Viking
    Race 2 - 2:05 Cotton Mill
    Race 3 - 2:40 Grands Crus
    Race 4 - 3:20 Gauvain
    Race 5 - 4:00 Silverhand
    Race 6 - 4:40 Jackies Solitaire
    Race 7 - 5:15 The New One

I have omitted Sizing Europe in the Champion Chase even though I think it will win because Gauvain might give a little more value for the competition I'm doing.

Are we expecting Grand Crus to walk the 2:40?

I would find it hard to put something up against it but, tbh, I am loathe to back favourites (especially short price ones) at Cheltenham.

If you can get 11/8 or 6/4 then I think that's a big price - would expect it to go off at around even money or even a shade of odds on.

Too short a price for me to be interested if I were betting, though.

Â