learning to drive

leemond2008

Passed my test a week before i moved to London, didnt have a car in london so never drove for 3 years.

Moved back recently and started to drive again, had to teach myself in 2 day before the start of my new job, made me realised how relaxed the laws are. My first few days were shockingly bad. But after a few hours all the basics came back to me.

First thing i learnt was not to wear big bulky shoes when driving and also its more relaxing driving on your own once passed than with a passenger

Best advice I was given prior to my test.

1. Always look in your mirrors.

2. Tell no one when you're doing it (the test, that is).

I passed it first time.

It was on a Friday, I was flying to Australia the following Monday, on a 12-month visa.

So there was a little pressure. But it all worked out.

I passed second time as I said earlier. The first time I told everyone, big mistake. The second time I didnt tell anyone I was about to do my test. My theory was about to about to expire too, the following week, so I had just had to pass. Failure was not an option.

Two test. First 2 minors and a major. Utterly livid at it, instructor touched the wheel when I knew I was going around this dustcart.

I passed second time.

First time I failed with 3 minors and 1 major.

The major was "going through a gap that wasn't wide enough"

I still don't know what incident he was referring to. And seeing as i apparently got through this gap unscathed, I fail to see how it could have been too narrow.

My brother failed because he didn't park properly and had to correct it, he did but not within 3 car lenghts or some bullshit.

A test is now like a 3 month wait and £120, im sure they fail half the people just to keep the money flowing in. If I failed a test for either of them reason Id kick off and demand my money back, I really would. I think Id end up punching someone.

I haven't started learning yet, I could start tomorrow and might not be done with it in 6 months and £500 later. I hate things that drag out that I have limited interest in.

Took me **** ages, £44 a week for about 18 months. Spent shit loads on it. The instructor was terrible, constantly telling me i wasn't ready. So i booked my test anyway since i thought i was.

I never actually did an emergency stop until the day of my test, this was on the hour before the actual test, needless to say it came up in the test, didn't really know what was going on. My instructor also said he didn't think i'd pass. I passed with six minors, have that!

I felt loaded after that, until i stated paying for a car, then i was skinter than i ever was before.

Yesterday I was reversing out of a parking space and I got to the point of turning and driving away when some stupid woman in her stupid Fiat 500 who had only just gotten off her phone decided to reverse out as well, almost into the back of my car, blew her horn at me as it I was in the wrong!

Clearing in the woods!

3 month wait and £120 ? 'kin hell! What about those 1 week courses, any good?

i had never driven before, and the holidays were coming up and i decided i wanted to drive during the holidays.

so i did a 2 week intensive course from start to finish, and passed my test 14 days after i sat behind the wheel of a car for the first time.

It was great doing it this way, its like cramming for an exam, you just remember everything, rather than having to keep re-learning as you forget stuff from one week or the next.

Yesterday I was reversing out of a parking space and I got to the point of turning and driving away when some stupid woman in her stupid Fiat 500 who had only just gotten off her phone decided to reverse out as well, almost into the back of my car, blew her horn at me as it I was in the wrong!

Clearing in the woods!

I hate that.

I don't mind someone sounding their horn on the rare occasion I am actually in the wrong. That's fair enough.

But when you're not in the wrong I feel like throttling them.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving through solihull. Traffic was quite bad so it was slow and there was a zip filter down to one lane. I was in the outside lane and did as you normally would.Car infront of me pulled to the left, in front of a car that was in that lane, so I slipped in behind that car, indicating and everything.

The guy behind me went mental and leant on his horn for about 10 seconds.I honestly wanted to slam my car in reverse and plough into him!

i had never driven before, and the holidays were coming up and i decided i wanted to drive during the holidays.

so i did a 2 week intensive course from start to finish, and passed my test 14 days after i sat behind the wheel of a car for the first time.

It was great doing it this way, its like cramming for an exam, you just remember everything, rather than having to keep re-learning as you forget stuff from one week or the next.

Thats a great idea. How much did it cost?

That's how they do it in the Army. I got behind the wheel for the first time on a Monday morning. I drove all day Monday, all day Tuesday and took a test on Wednesday. I failed that, then took another test Wednesday afternoon which I failed. I failed again Thursday morning then passed Thursday afternoon :D The next week I passed my HGV class 1 after 4 days of lessons . :D

It didn't cost that much, 24 lessons @ £15 each (discount for block booking) = £360. 2hr session per day.

plus cost of theory and driving test.

Â