learning to drive

leemond2008

ive decided to finally get me finger out me arse and start having driving lessons at the grand old age of 26

next weekend I'm gunna go and get my eyes tested cuz I'm as blind as a bat (all those lonely nights in my bedroom must have caught up with me)

is it best to get someone to show me the basics before I actually start having lessons (because I literally dont have a clue) or is it best to just jump straight into it with the proper instructer?

also how many lessons does it normally take before you are ready for your test and how much do they normally cost all together?

It's completely dependatn on you.

I know people who have passed their test after a dozen lessons, and I know people who are into the hundreds of lessons and still can't drive.

In fact I know one girl who's had over 100 lessons and has never even taken her test, she's not upto the standard so she knows she wouldn't pass.

As for getting somone to show you the basics beofre you start, it might be an idea. But remember you need to be insured on a car to do any driving legally, even with an adult driver present.

But yeah, it might save you 1 or two lessons that youd otherwise spend learning the absolute basics.

I took my daughter around deserted Industrial Estates at weekends - Just getting her used to the clutch and steering. When she started having lessons she had a head start so to speak and the instructor had her driving on the road from lesson one.

I took my daughter around deserted Industrial Estates at weekends - Just getting her used to the clutch and steering. When she started having lessons she had a head start so to speak and the instructor had her driving on the road from lesson one.

My parents did this with me, real good start as you say. Bit of clutch control and reversing etc, saves a lot of money I would guess.

I passed 1st time after 5 lessons (not with a driving instructor, it was a Policeman).

I never bothered either. Might learn in an automatic. No other countries seem to bother with gears anymore and I don't care about the driving experience, just getting places faster.

That's fine if you can't see yourself ever hiring a van, using a tractor or sports car or maybe having having to drive a friends car back from the pub.

As for getting somone to show you the basics beofre you start, it might be an idea. But remember you need to be insured on a car to do any driving legally, even with an adult driver present.

But yeah, it might save you 1 or two lessons that youd otherwise spend learning the absolute basics.

We'd go to places like Long Marston and quieter spots around Malvern to learn the basics in the pre license days.

:winkold:

I never bothered either. Might learn in an automatic. No other countries seem to bother with gears anymore and I don't care about the driving experience, just getting places faster.

That's fine if you can't see yourself ever hiring a van, using a tractor or sports car or maybe having having to drive a friends car back from the pub.

We'd go to places like Long Marston and quieter spots around Malvern to learn the basics in the pre license days.

When has anyone spontaneously needed that? :lol:

I started my driving my lessons a few months back at the age of 24. Two things surprised me; -

1. That it's not scary. I used to think I'd probably shit myself when approaching an island or something, I don't find that at all. That may be my very laid back driving instructor keeping me calm though.

2. The amount of nobheads who are obviously born drivers and can't wait a few seconds if you stall or don't go when you could have on a junction. I probably encounter two or three on every lesson.

When has anyone spontaneously needed that? :lol:

:lol: True, but I agree with the original point. Makes far more sense to learn to drive on a manual, which gives you options - even if you only ever buy automatics thereafter. Why build in limitations on yourself?

Personally, I prefer driving a manual anyway, but that's me.

leemond, I think you've plenty in your life to be getting annoyed about already, without adding road users to that list. As level headed and relaxed as I am, there is nothing in my life that comes close to the frustration and stress of watching inconsiderate and dangerous stupidity on the road.

Of course I'm being slightly facetious in saying you should learn to drive. Of course you should. I'm just warning you that if and when you become a good driver, you'll need the patience of a saint.

I think instructor is key too. I had an instructor and he really just didnt communicate with me well, at the time I had no idea at all about driving and he made me feel like a 5 year old. I didnt like him and that resulted in me not really wanting to learn to drive. I then decided enough was enough and I couldnt take his bullshit, so I stopped having lessons.

About a year later I decided to give driving another go and used an instructor who my friends had used, and he was brilliant. Kept very calm and didnt want to rush anything, within about 30 lessons i was ready for a test (failed).

My friend only did 8 lessons and then went onto his test and passed first time, I think in the end I did about 40odd. There is no set limit in how long it takes you, it just takes as long as it takes. There's no point trying to rush it, just take your time and you'll be fine.

One thing I would say is just ignore all other road drivers when you're learning, you get a lot of dicks who love to beep their horn if you dont move off straight away, which can be intimidating but just ignore them. You're doing it for you, not them!

I think instructor is key too

You are not wrong, my instructor used to do things like burn the back of my hand with a cigar if I drove with my hand on the gear stick. That's a habit I stopped before it started.

As he was old bill as well I had some super training on duel carriageways so I was up to speed for the motorways etc.

You are not wrong, my instructor used to do things like burn the back of my hand with a cigar if I drove with my hand on the gear stick. That's a habit I stopped before it started.

That's the sort of thing that would make you crash.

That's the sort of thing that would make you crash.

It's also very dangerous. The instructor could lose an eye and get a broken nose.

Took me 60 lessons (I was a slow learner.)

Passed 3rd time at the Kingstanding test centre in Birmingham.

I didn't know anything but my instructor taught all the basics in the first lesson.

You don't need to have amazing vision either.

They ask you to read a number plate from like 20 metres.

I thought I would fail to see it but I did it comfortably.

I passed first time about 3 years ago now. I was shit scared at first and I don't know how I made it through that first lesson as my legs were shaking to buggery. 3 years later and I love driving.

It took me a while (can't remember how many lessons I had but it was lots. LOTS!) but I think that put me in good stead. Having a good instructor is key as others have said: My instructor was an ex-HGV lorry driver and had a big handlebar moustache. He was awesome :) He wasn't even in a bad mood after I buggered his clutch (I kid you not). I even remember him teaching me how to do donuts in the car park that was full of snow and him saying "5! 4! 3! 2! 1" before grabbing the handbrake when going round a roundabout over about 3 inches of snow (and ice). I think it was his way of teaching me how to drive out of a skid :lol:

Don't worry about stalling it etc (everyone does it and it was my biggest problem) but you'll get there in the end. Slowly and safely does it :D

I remember my first lesson, I was pretty much hitting the curb on one side of the road and then when trying to straighten up, hitting the curb on the other side of the road :lol:

Luckily no other drivers were about.

Â