What a difference a win makes!

limpid

When a manager makes tactical substitutions it is usually to change the shape of play, and that does not necessarily mean taking off players who are perceived by the fans to be performing badly. Bringing on Weimann and taking off our only out and out winger would have been a bit dumb and also what we needed towards the end was effort - not something N'Zogbia was giving too much of.

When fans boo substitutions in this way they often expose their own naivety and lack of understanding of the tactics the manager is trying.

I don't really care about complete speculation about what the score could have been if N'Zogbia had stayed on.

The fact is that the subs were made, they worked and we won. Credit has to go to McLeish for that however painful some fans might find it.

I must be a bit nieve in the tactics department.

So could you please explain to me how making TACTICAL SUBSTITUTIONS in the 86th and the 90th minute changed anything ?

Hopefully this week Mc Dipstick can make a couple of tactical substitutions

in the 89th and the 92nd minutes and we will score 4 more goals before full time ?! :oops:

could you please explain to me how making TACTICAL SUBSTITUTIONS in the 86th and the 90th minute changed anything ?

Since you may not have read the full thread, let me help.

The main discussion here has been about the introduction of Weimann in the 71st minute for N'Zogbia and whether Agbonlahor or Albrighton should have come off instead because they weren't playing well.

I was suggesting the sub was tactical, to change the shape of the attack, so it was a question of taking off a player who wouldn't fit in with the new shape, and that was N'Zogbia.

Barry's Boots didn't agree because he can't accept on principle that Alex Mcleish could possibly think tactically (at least that's what I think he was arguing).

Now, as to the later substitutions, they were both tactical, i.e. not forced by injury.

Bannan came on in the 82nd minute, Gardner in the 90th minute.

In the 92nd minute, Bannan slotted an excellent pass through to Gardner, who shot at goal; Schwarzer fumbled it and Weimann bundled in after two attempts.

If you're saying in some way the substitutes DIDN'T make a difference to this game, I am mightily puzzled, since they combined to create the only goal.

I am waiting with wonderment to hear from you how the substitutes didn't make a difference... :P

These particular substitutes did make a difference THIS TIME ......BUT sureley you can not believe that making substitutions in the 82nd and the 92nd minute would normally change a game ?

I agree with Barry,s Boots that ( and this is my point really ) there is not a manager in the world ( at least not one that knows what he is doing ) that will make substitutions in the 82nd and 92nd minute and hope to change a game ?!

Surely you can see where Barry's Boots and I am comming from ?

3 subs combine to give us a much needed 3 points and briny_ear gets stick for suggesting AM deserves credit for those.

Give up BE you can't win.

These particular substitutes did make a difference THIS TIME ......BUT sureley you can not believe that making substitutions in the 82nd and the 92nd minute would normally change a game ?

I agree with Barry,s Boots that ( and this is my point really ) there is not a manager in the world ( at least not one that knows what he is doing ) that will make substitutions in the 82nd and 92nd minute and hope to change a game ?!

Surely you can see where Barry's Boots and I am comming from ?

So why did he make the substitutions then? Just for the fun of it?

Â