• Petrov
    • Herd
    • Agbonlahor
    • Weimann (for N'Zogbia 71)
    • Bannan (for Herd 82)
    • Gardner (for Petrov 90)

It was wrong to bring off Zog rather than Albrighton

No it wasnt.

Last time I looked we won 1-0. How can it be wrong?

You may have preferred Albrighton to go off, but you cant say the substitution was wrong because not only did we win the game, we won it as a direct result of the Nzogbia substitution.

Yes it was. Albirghton was having a stinker, Zog less of a stinker. We'd have won 4-0 if it was Albrighton :)

A win is a win in game we dominated. End of. Not surprised to see that that the usual suspects are picking faults.

Just enjoy it for FFS. For once pressure at the end of the game paid off.

FOR US!!.

went down which is unusual for me these days.

The plus points for me were the fact that we seemed to have dumped the hoof ball and we had a fair bit of possession. The passing between Nzogbia and Ireland was encouraging and confidence building.

we still lack a bit of authority and look better with the ball than without it.

I thought Albrighton should have come off instead of Nzogbia but hey ho.

He got it right.

Long way to go , but some decent signs for me.

PS bear in mind I havn't been for a while so I'm not quite so worn down as most....Perhaps the fans need time out, like the players.They are physically knackered, whilst we are mentally knackered.

Watched the game live from down under and it actually kept me awake to the early hours and was fairly entertaining. like Blackburn the week before Fulham didn't turn up first half letting us build some confidence. With the subs AM seemed to get the right people on but take the wrong people off? I must admitt I was baffled as to why Zog and not Alby but there seems to be a bit of a grudge on AM's part there still ( the Zogs face was a picture). Still want him out though as he can only take us backwards not forwards!

Excellent win and a good performance.

I didn't see a problem with taking Zog off. Albrighton and Marc were both ineffective in the second half, however Albrighton hit the crossbar and probably has more of an eye for a Villa player.

If we'd taken off Marc instead then our attacks might have just dwindled away with Charlie's blind runs.

Gardner needs to replace Petrov much earlier. Petrov appears to now aim for the big 'first aid' sign behind the North Stand goal.

Excellent win and a good performance.

I didn't see a problem with taking Zog off. Albrighton and Marc were both ineffective in the second half, however Albrighton hit the crossbar and probably has more of an eye for a Villa player.

If we'd taken off Marc instead then our attacks might have just dwindled away with Charlie's blind runs.

Totally agree. Left out the part I didn't agree with as I thought Petrov was one of the best on the pitch.

Herf motm for me.

A long time since I got so happy when we scored. Let's just say that some others thought there was something wrong with me. :-P

I thought Petrov was one of the best on the pitch.

Really? Worst player on the pitch for me, and quite comfortably too. For a captain he really does like to allow others to shoulder the blame even when it's his old fault. Constantly took the easy way out on Saturday. Slowed play down way too much. He was shockingly bad.

I thought Petrov was one of the best on the pitch.

Really? Worst player on the pitch for me, and quite comfortably too. For a captain he really does like to allow others to shoulder the blame even when it's his old fault. Constantly took the easy way out on Saturday. Slowed play down way too much. He was shockingly bad.

Well, we have to agree on disagreeing. :) I thought he controlled the game and I thought that the best balanced midfield we've had this season has been with him and Herd together.

At last!

I noticed 2-3 weeks ago that I was on post 9999 and I decided that I wouldn't do number 10000 until I could celebrate a victory.

Didn't expect to wait this long...

Been away for the weekend, so just got back, watched the game on Match First and now it's time to party!

:D:clap::hooray::flag::cheers: :notworthy:

Thought it was a decent enough game - we played well in midfield and defence. Ireland, Hutton and Cuellar stood out for me, and Petrov and Herd look a good combination as DMs.

Good to be able to celebrate a home win and a clean sheet although, let's be honest, we very nearly didn't make the win. Lack of a killer instinct in front of goal was painful. I think most other sides would have had a game they dominated so much in the first half wrapped up by 45 minutes. Still, it was very pleasing that we kept playing positively until the very end of added time. I reckon we are free now of any mythical worries there ever were about relegation.

Was disappointed that some "fans" started jeering and booing.

On the "You don't know what you're doing" commentary on McLeish's substitutions, well, I think it was Game Set and Match to him this time, wasn't it? Because the goal came as a result of excellent play from his three substitutes. So I guess he, er... DID know what he was doing.

I've seen the comments about how N'Zogbia shouldn't have been taken off but all I can say is they must have edited most of his good bits out of the Match First highlights. There were a couple of good passes and tackles but for most of the game he looked to me as half baked and uncommitted as normal.

Towards the end of the game, we were pushing up and a couple of times got booed for passing back to Given as a way of keeping possession and not risking a Fulham break away. This got booed and I thoght that was depressing but not surprising - Villa crowds have done this for as long as I can remember. It is pretty dumb to start booing your own players though.

Final word to Andreas Weimann. I was so pleased to see him score and the way he went for the goal showed a real predatory instinct. I'm not sure that Bent or Gabby would have scored from the same position. There's a long way to go for him but for the moment it's nice to imagine that we have a real predatory striker here who will grow into a freescoring forward who will solve one of our striker problems.

Â