Coke & Pepsi Change Recipe "to Avoid Cancer Warning

Demitri_C

well yes that woman who died trying to win a wii.

she drank something like 17 pints won the console then **** died.

pure water though chindie would be fine. tap water maybe not quite as pure, but the amount of water would kill you before the stuff they put in it.

What Chindie said. Water on the brain innit. Brings to mind the brilliant campaign in one of the American colleges to ban dihydrogen monoxide as it was one of the chemicals in bomb making :lol: Suffice to say they got loads of signatures from what were presumably lobotomy patients.

No. And thats even when we know that it can seriously harm some people, because of a chemical it creates as it is digested that a few people cannot process. It doesn't, however, cause cancer.

it is strongly linked though to it, if it hasnt been proven yet.

if too much water gives you problems then

screwed.jpg

Wine (couple of bottles a week)

Holy shit

I was being a bit conservative there, TBH. The missus and I usually have a bottle between us, with a meal, most days. Hardly excessive.

How much does a bottle of wine cost in Britain, £10? That's a hell lot of money to be spending on drinks for dinner every day.

Besides, I'm not sure if I would get drunk if I drink a half-bottle at one go.......although I'm terrible at holding alcohol, that much I'll admit.

The tolerance to alcohol is not equally distributed throughout the world's population, and genetics of alcohol dehydrogenase indicate resistance has arisen independently in different ethnic groups. People of European descent on average have a high alcohol tolerance and are less likely to develop alcoholism compared to Aboriginal Australians, Native Americans and some East Asian groups. This is related to an average higher body mass, but also to the prevalence of high levels of alcohol dehydrogenase in the population. The high alcohol tolerance in Europeans and some other ethnic groups has probably evolved as a consequence of centuries of exposure to alcohol in established agricultural societies.

Not all differences in tolerance can be traced to biochemistry. Differences in tolerance levels are also influenced by socio-economic and cultural difference including diet, average body weight and patterns of consumption.

An estimated one out of three people in East Asian countries have an alcohol flush reaction, colloquially known as "Asian Glow", a condition where the body cannot break down ingested alcohol completely because it lacks the genetically coded enzyme that performs this function in the bodies of drinkers with "European" tolerance levels. Flushing, or blushing, is associated with the erythema (reddening caused by dilation of capillaries) of the face, neck, and shoulder, after consumption of alcohol.

Wiki

It uses extract, no cocaine content at all now.

The extract still contains cocaine.

Big Secrets)"]

Until 1903, Coca-Cola contained the full cocaine content of its coca extract. Since then, Coca-Cola has taken great pains to remove the coca leaves before they make the extract which goes into Merchandise #5. The Coca-Cola Company still bristles at the suggestion that there might still be cocaine in the drink.

Even before 1903, the amount of cocaine in Coca-Cola was trifling. One analysis put the cocaine content of the syrup, pre-1903, at .04 grain per ounce (or .09 mg/ml). The syrup is in turn heavily diluted (roughly 6-to-1) with carbonated water to make the drink.

That's not much. At the small doses under consideration, cocaine has roughly ten times the stimulant effect per unit dose than caffeine, so the cocaine in an ounce of the old syrup had the stimulant effect of 26 mg of caffeine (about half a cup of tea). The old syrup contained about 1.21 grains per ounce of caffeine. Even when Coca-Cola contained cocaine, three quarters of its stimulant effect was from caffeine.

A line of cocaine is about 50 mg. Then it would have taken about 20 ounces of the syrup and a [uS] gallon (3.8 liters) of beverage to get an equivalent amount of cocaine. It's hard to see anybody drinking that much without getting sick [i personally don't think I could manage it... maybe over the course of a day, but not even in one sitting -- LR].

From time to time, various governments and chemists have wondered if there was still residual cocaine even now in Coca-Cola. In 1912, the Canadian government found no cocaine.

In 1972, Dr. Norman Farnsworth of the University of Illinois had graduate students test Coke for cocaine. A gas-chromatography peak near that of cocaine was found. To confirm the finding, cocaine was added to the sample and retested, with another peak being found, meaning that something that wasn't cocaine was causing the first peak.

Coca-Cola in turn funded additional research to identify what caused the first peak, lest a less careful researcher report that Coca-Cola still contained cocaine. Farnsworth eventually concluded that the peak was due to a polymer formed from the ammonia used in the gas chromatography.

However, there is a very strong argument that there must be some cocaine in Coca-Cola nonetheless. The decocanization process the leaves undergo before taking the extract is basically the process used in decaffeinating coffee: a solvent is passed through the leaves repeatedly, leaching away a little more cocaine each time. But no decaffeinated coffee is totally caffeine free: 2% of the caffeine content of regular coffee is about the most decaffeinated you can get on the market. For all practical purposes, that's caffeine-free.

Coke's decocanization process is good enough, too, as far as the drug laws are concerned. There isn't enough cocaine in Coca-Cola to have any physiological effect whatsoever. But it's quite another thing to say that there's no cocaine in Coca-Cola. A molecule of cocaine weighs 0.000000000000000000504 mg. If an ounce of the old syrup contained 2.6 mg, then it contained about 5 quintillion molecules of cocaine.

Does Coke's decocanization process catch every last one of those 5 quintillion? Surely not. If it removed 99% of them, there would still be 50 quadrillion molecules left. Even if the decocanizer removed 99.9999999% of the cocaine (and the cost constraints make this highly unlikely), there would still be millions of molecules in every bottle of Coke. As long as coca leaves or their extracts are used in Coca-Cola, it cannot avoid containing cocaine.

Â