Stewart Lee

Jimzk5

Personally I find his pseudo-intellectualism tedious. If he was playing a gig in my garden shed, I don't think I'd even bother to open the kitchen window to hear him.

But can you see Otters from that kitchen window?

Edit damn you Jon, I hadnt refreshed the page.

He's a sharp observer and I know where he's going with his comedy, but ultimately I'm left wanting. His material is just not strong enough to warrant top comic status, IMO...and his delivery is just a bit too matter of fact...I think a great comic's stage persona should be more outwardly....funny.

The way I feel about him is the same way I think about Tim Minchin. They're both incredibly intelligent and very talented at what they do and what they say is very poignant and I agree with all of it, it's just not what I look for in a comedian. I find myself thinking, oh that's very clever, rather than bursting out laughing. Different strokes for different folks though

I agree with whoever said Noel Fielding is funnier on NMTB than the Boosh. I can't stand the Boosh at all, it's just too silly for me, but Fielding does come up with some witty stuff on panel shows.

Have never seen him so I will take a look later, seems highly recommended. I like all sorts of comedy so I am sure he will fit in somewhere in my world of laughs (Izzard, Boyle, Gervais, Connolly are my usual taste in comedy).

But for total genius Karl Pilkington, the others have to think about it

:D

If you like gag men like Jimmy Carr you won't like Stewart Lee but if you like the people you mentioned you should love him.

Well if you like Jimmy Carr ('s standup) then you have no sense of humour, as it isn't funny.

he's a very good TV host/presenter/panel member, and he should stick to it. IMO of course

• Like 1

Have never seen him so I will take a look later, seems highly recommended. I like all sorts of comedy so I am sure he will fit in somewhere in my world of laughs (Izzard, Boyle, Gervais, Connolly are my usual taste in comedy).

But for total genius Karl Pilkington, the others have to think about it

:D

If you like gag men like Jimmy Carr you won't like Stewart Lee but if you like the people you mentioned you should love him.

Well if you like Jimmy Carr ('s standup) then you have no sense of humour, as it isn't funny.

he's a very good TV host/presenter/panel member, and he should stick to it. IMO of course

Agreed.

Jimmy Carr was actually decent once (hard to believe, I know) before he became famous.

However any half decent comedian can rip the piss out of drunk people at a comedy club and it doesn't really translate into a TV routine.

I really like Stewart Lee but would be wary of taking someone to see him. Some people just don't 'get' him.

I feel that before I 'found' Steward Lee, I made-do with the various comedy talents that we ere on offer. They were all decent, and made me level.

Once I'd seen Stew, the bar was raised, and now other comedians seem mostly w*nk in comparison, with the odd exception.

Which i sad as I now know all of Stew's stuff.

Stewart Lee - Democracy

part two is in the related videos, but this is probably the best 30 minutes of comedy ive ever scene.

and as for the long pause, the best ive seen him do so far was the "my dad loved crisps, he loved every flavour you could think of, every flavour there is, you know every flavour like........ plain......."

I feel that before I 'found' Steward Lee, I made-do with the various comedy talents that we ere on offer. They were all decent, and made me level.

Once I'd seen Stew, the bar was raised, and now other comedians seem mostly w*nk in comparison, with the odd exception.

We noticed ;)

You are though a man with great taste.

Edit - though this doesn't extend to Alex McLeish

Yes, I agree. It's similar with his favourite band, or one of them, - the Fall - the same thing where people either love or hate them, but once you love them, no-one else quite hits the same mark.

Ive seen some things on Youtube and he is funny but I could understand why people dont like him. His style is not for everybody

He doesnt like Michael McIntyre so another reason I like him

McIntyre, Boyle and the Russells are but a few of his favourite grounds of attack.

Also, he doesn't seem to like Top Gear for some reason .... :winkold:

left wing, anti-establishment, anti Tory, anti USA, intelligent, engaging comedy, from a top theatrical performer. Whats not to like?

Â