Things that scared the crap out of you when you were a kid

Ponky

There was a public information film in the late 70s/early 80s warning us youngsters about the perils of cutting across the railway lines. One boy got his foot stuck between two rails and his mate was screaming at him as an inter-city 125 was bearing down on him. Always had me hiding behind the sofa that one.

I watched the Bond film with Jaws in (The Spy Who Loved Me?) aged 6 through the door. Terrifying villain. Even now he unnerves me a tiny bit!

• Like 1

I was allowed to watch Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm St and The Exorcist when I was far too young and had nightmares after each one. I even remember the green VHS case that came with The Exorcist to this day, and I remember begging my mum to let me watch it. I also remember having to leave the room halfway through!

They all make me laugh now, especially when I think of how scared I was when I watched them as a child. The Exorcist is nothing but a load of old Catholic bullshit lol.

My mum shouldn't have let me see them really, it did me no harm but probably made putting me to bed much harder for her at the time lol.

• 11 years later...

I remember at school around the age of seven I and a few others got taken into a seperate classroom, I can't remember the purpose or about much of what happened, but a women who wasn't one of our regular teachers, had a bunch of books spread out across a table that we were sitting around, one of the books had big pictures from inside a forest or woods, and she was asking us things like to imagine we were lost alone in those woods, and then to that scenario added the idea that we were lost in the woods and saw another person across the way in the trees that was identical to us, if I'm remembering right she even emphasized wearing the same clothes, she was bascially asking us to imagine that we saw ourselves in the forest whilst lost, I don't think I was overly scared in that moment as such, but the idea creeped me out and I could well imagine if I was in that scenario then I would be very scared.

Maybe the idea got to my head because I had a few dreams where something similar happened, the main one being looking out bedroom window at night and across the way I can see another house that looks like the one I'm in, and there's an upstairs bedroom window, through which I can see myself and my bedroom, I had a dream similar to this a few times, and always felt unnerving.

As a kid, having the run of a deserted fair ground for 6 months of the year was pretty awesome for scaring yourself stupid. Sat inside the roller coaster hearing stories about how other kids had been murdered or disappeared from inside this very roller coaster! Absolute bobbins obviously, but it was great.

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 03/03/2012 at 10:09, Tegis said:

http://blog.booklistonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/v-lizard-300x225.jpg

Think I was about 6 or 7 at the time. Freaked the shit out of me

I wonder what I originally posted here, probably V

20091104_allthebettertofrenchyouwith_190

edit: Oh, so now the link shows, and I was right :D

Wayback machine to the rescue

LMGlnzP.jpg

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

This album

th?id=OIP.FYN01DgejwhLrb7DtAL7MAHaFf%26p

Burton's voice and the booklet that accompanied it with all pictures of streets on fire and rivers of blood etc.

The famous 'duh duh duh' still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I wouldn’t worry, the chances of anything coming from Mars must be a million to one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

This album

Burton's voice and the booklet that accompanied it with all pictures of streets on fire and rivers of blood etc.

Love this album. Made the mistake of listening to it whilst trudging along the motorway and got engrossed in it. Glanced down at the speedo and think I was doing about 110mph as I was so pumped up.

6 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

This album

Apart from the odd single on the radio, I've never heard this album. 

Â