England v Holland/Squad annouced

andykeenan

Must say, Parker was good as captain yesterday - his style of play suits being captain. I wouldn't want Gerrard as captain, because I want a captain that will play the full 90 mins for every game, and I don't think Gerrard will have that role. Not if we want to push Wilshire, and keep Parker + Barry/Milner.

Also on Welbeck, thought he played well yesterday. The formation is very fluid, and I think, if the wingers can get in the box when Welbeck takes the channel, we could get quite a few goals.

The issue is of course, that we need to accomodate Rooney somehow. He's proven that he's best behind the striker, so are talking:

Hart

Richards - Jagielka - Lescott - Cole (DC's my opinion)

Parker - Wilshire

Johnson - Rooney - Young

Welbeck/Bent

Bench: GK, Cahill, Barry/Milner, Gerrard, Walcott, Sturridge, Bent/Carroll/Crouch/Welbeck/Gabby/Fonz :)

If all were fully fit?

I thought Ash was absolutely terrible yesterday. Is he still not fit? He lost the ball for the second goal on the half way line just after the kick-off and his overall play was uncharacteristically sloppy. He took his goal well to be fair though. Overall wasn't terrible but too much inexperience cost us against a more than decent side.

Let me ask you who was the best England player at the 2010 world cup?

it was obviously Joe Cole ;)

t was clearly Steven Gerrard, no England player performed better than Gerrard in South Africa

considering England were absolute shite its not much of an achievement, Its like being Aston Villa best defender ;)

I thought Ash was absolutely terrible yesterday. Is he still not fit? He lost the ball for the second goal on the half way line just after the kick-off and his overall play was uncharacteristically sloppy.

the United fans I know dont rate him at all. Said against Ajax he would keep going down left wing turn onto his right foot and overhit his cross (i told them this in summer and they didnt believe me)

Let me ask you who was the best England player at the 2010 world cup?

it was obviously Joe Cole ;)

t was clearly Steven Gerrard, no England player performed better than Gerrard in South Africa

considering England were absolute shite its not much of an achievement, Its like being Aston Villa best defender ;)

I mentioned that in my post, you can call it least bad if you think they were all bad. He was clear man of the match against USA. And was quite good in the other game. Stevie G is an England great.

He was clear man of the match against USA. And was quite good in the other game. Stevie G is an England great

England played 4 games, I watched 3 of them and he was woeful vs Algeria and Germany and he scored a goal vs USA but did **** all else including not closing down Dempsey for his goal.

Gerrard is not an England legend, he has done nothiing to earn that tag. HE has nearly 100 caps and rarely has he stood out except vs Germany but that was 11 years ago

Gerrard is a Liverpool great/legend but never in a million years an England legend. I'm struggling to think who would be the most recent England legend. Maybe Lineker.

Holland are probably the 2nd or 3rd best side in Europe at the moment, and I think England coped well against them at times. But I caught a bit of France Germany yesterday, France looked impressive. They will win the group.

Scott Parker is not even the captain of his club side.

And he only has 11 caps for England.

That doesn't mean anything, why should the number of caps he has have any bearing on his ability to lead?

The same reason why Gabby was captain against Wigan.

That doesn't mean anything, why should the number of caps he has have any bearing on his ability to lead?

The same reason why Gabby was captain against Wigan.

Fair enough.

In my view there are two main factors in gaining the respect a good captain needs though - playing experience as well as workrate and professionalism. Parker isn't the most experienced at international level but he certainly scores highly in the latter category.

Parker is not his club's captain because his club already had a captain when he (recently) joined them. You don't just take the captaincy off someone like Ledley King. That doesn't mean he wouldn't get it if it came up for grabs.

I said earlier that I thought if 'arry took over England, he'd make Parker the captain. I'm not ruling out the possibility that he was consulted by the FA and/or Pearce when they were deciding who to pick this time around, given who was chosen.

Scott Parker named England captain this evening

Shocking decision by Stuart Pearce.

Gerrard should be captain.

I have to ask why?

What has he ever done in an England jersey?

He's already mooted he'll retire from International football after the Euros so why make him Captain for this friendly.

We should be looking at a Captain for the next few years IMO - Joe Hart would've been a better option than Parker but SP is not a bad shout either.

At least SP hasn't grabbed the headlines for no footballing reasons unlike Mssrs Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Rooney and Cole etc etc

He's a decent enough ambassador and if anything a safe bet to ensure an easy transition for the new manager (Redknob) to take over.

Gerrard has been captain of Liverpool for years.

He just captained his club to a trophy at Wembley on Sunday.

He also captained them to Champions League glory in 2005.

He also has 90 caps for England.

Is Liverpool your second club, after Blues?

:winkold:

How come everyone thinks TRST is a nose? I guess it's maybe a running joke I've missed out on. It's just a bit odd as I see him championing the Villa on another forum quite often

How come everyone thinks TRST is a nose? I guess it's maybe a running joke I've missed out on. It's just a bit odd as I see him championing the Villa on another forum quite often

for a few months he has wanted sha in the Premier League and said he felt happy for them winning the Carling Cup

for a few months he has wanted sha in the Premier League and said he felt happy for them winning the Carling Cup

No further questions your honor.

It would be good for Birmingham to have 2 top-flight clubs just like Manchester and Liverpool do.

And I always want a small club to win a cup final against a big club.

Just like I wanted Cardiff City to beat Liverpool on Sunday.

It would be good for Birmingham to have 2 top-flight clubs just like Manchester and Liverpool do.

I don't know how old you are but do you watch Villa games in pubs with those clearings in the woods in? Have you had the pleasure of being threatened at the sty?

Â