England v Holland/Squad annouced

andykeenan

It's not about being the best players it's about motivating the squad to perform. Get the younger lads in the squad at the expense of the older egos. England certainly won't be anywhere near the level of Germany, France, Spain but there's some decent enough young players who need to be given the chance.

Even if he didnt want any of the ropey old guard defenders, Id have still picked a relatively experienced CB, someone like Jagielka for eg; not a fantastic player by any stretch but is a cool head and someone the youngsters may feel comfortable playing alongside with.

Campbell is a lot more exciting than welbeck imo. Not a bad choice at all. Just surprising more than anything.

Only real errors I can see are;

Including Downing and Walnut

Not including The Ox and someone like Jagielka.

It's not about being the best players it's about motivating the squad to perform. Get the younger lads in the squad at the expense of the older egos. England certainly won't be anywhere near the level of Germany, France, Spain but there's some decent enough young players who need to be given the chance.

Nah, I'd say right now France's squad isn't that much better than England's. Spain and Germany are in a different league, though, for sure.

was only a friendly but 18 months ago France went to Wembley and thought England a lesson. THey are a good team and are improving.

dont like them but my darkhorses for Euros

They've always got talented players... but a bit like Holland they're prone to falling apart behind the scenes. You never know what you'll get.

france seem to be on the brink of having another great team -

sakho, m'vila, varane, corchia, brahimi, griezmann, saivet, sanogo, niang

then add that nasri and benzema are only 24! they have far more potential to do well over the next 3/4 tournaments than us IMO

was only a friendly but 18 months ago France went to Wembley and thought England a lesson. THey are a good team and are improving.

They've always got talented players... but a bit like Holland they're prone to falling apart behind the scenes. You never know what you'll get.

That hasnt happened to Holland for ages now. That was from the 70s to the 90s.

That hasnt happened to Holland for ages now. That was from the 70s to the 90s.

happened in Euro 2008

It was actually a surprise that Holland turned up (in the figurative sense) for the last world cup. You always expect a behind-the-scenes car crash from them :)

france seem to be on the brink of having another great team -

sakho, m'vila, varane, corchia, brahimi, griezmann, saivet, sanogo, niang

then add that nasri and benzema are only 24! they have far more potential to do well over the next 3/4 tournaments than us IMO

I think England have a comparable list of young players to be honest. Players like Jones, Smalling, Wilshere, Cleverly, Sturridge, Welbeck, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Kyle Walker are all good international prospects.

Add Rooney and Hart who are 26 and 24 respectively. I think we are at a comparable level.

Germany and Spain are clearly better than us. But I think the second tier consisting of us, France and the Netherlands is more competitive than most believe. Although if Pearce remains in charge perhaps not...

since van marwijk took over and without the Surinamese connection(seedorf, davisds adn kluivert) Holland have looked better and stronger

So it was the black players fault? :winkold:

What happened in Euro 2008? I wasnt aware of this bad situation in their camp. But then again thinking about it they were awesome in the group stage beating world cup winners Italy, and world cup runners up France by 3 goal margins. And then against an inferior Russia they just flopped. Was a bit strange.

Really? Frazier Campbell is very average.

Nice story that he's come back from two serious injuries to score some good goals for Sunderland but it should stop there, not getting an international call up.

He's done well recently and it's a friendly, no harm putting him on to see what he can do.

Think Oxlade-Chamberlain should have got a chance though.

since van marwijk took over and without the Surinamese connection(seedorf, davisds adn kluivert) Holland have looked better and stronger

So it was the black players fault? :winkold:

Ah, the "Dalglish Thesis".

Â