What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

Started playing project cars as it was part of gold members collection on Xbox this month. Been holding off on purchasing this since it came out despite some interest and curiously keeping an eye on it.

So glad I didn't buy it now. Possibly the single most clinically joyless game I've ever played. Boring, bland, technically inferior, abhorrent frame rate drops, uninspired track design, and one of the worst most horrible driving models I've encountered. It's dreadful. 

Avoid. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

On 25/02/2017 at 17:58, Ingram85 said:

Started playing project cars as it was part of gold members collection on Xbox this month. Been holding off on purchasing this since it came out despite some interest and curiously keeping an eye on it.

So glad I didn't buy it now. Possibly the single most clinically joyless game I've ever played. Boring, bland, technically inferior, abhorrent frame rate drops, uninspired track design, and one of the worst most horrible driving models I've encountered. It's dreadful. 

Avoid. 

It's a shame you didn't enjoy the game. 

I was part of the team that fine tuned the in-game visuals and lighting on Project CARS, but my role was solely on the PC build of the game which I have heard very few complaints about.

Even though I had no part in the porting process to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 it's a huge shame that it's not up to the standards set by the team. I feel based on your analysis that the frame drops are the cause of your woes at least once the racing starts. Project CARS was designed to run at 60FPS without issue and the driving models and physics were tailored to feel right at that frame rate. Frame rate dips can affect the physics model, frame pacing (how smooth it feels), input delay and more so that one thing can invariably break everything the team worked hard to create. 

The rest though was always a concern of mine. The game works as it is on PC because believe it or not it's more feature filled and exciting than other racing sims, but on console everything has to pop and have a purpose. Project CARS unfortunately didn't do anything to alter the game and raise potential enjoyment for a new set of platforms. 

I have nothing to do with Project CARS 2 so I'm not sure if any of your criticisms have been fixed. All I do know is the game appears to be pushing visual boundaries even more, so if the original was a mess frame rate wise on Xbox then the sequel may not be much better.

Can you explain to a layman why on earth you'd tie game physics to the framerate? It's something that has caused endless problems for a few titles, especially Bethesda ones.

It ruins the game for people with weaker hardware, as well as people with  great hardware that want to get the most out of their monitors with hgiher refresh rates. There must be a good reason for it, but it seems to harm the user experience.

4 hours ago, Daweii said:

It's a shame you didn't enjoy the game. 

I was part of the team that fine tuned the in-game visuals and lighting on Project CARS, but my role was solely on the PC build of the game which I have heard very few complaints about.

Even though I had no part in the porting process to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 it's a huge shame that it's not up to the standards set by the team. I feel based on your analysis that the frame drops are the cause of your woes at least once the racing starts. Project CARS was designed to run at 60FPS without issue and the driving models and physics were tailored to feel right at that frame rate. Frame rate dips can affect the physics model, frame pacing (how smooth it feels), input delay and more so that one thing can invariably break everything the team worked hard to create. 

The rest though was always a concern of mine. The game works as it is on PC because believe it or not it's more feature filled and exciting than other racing sims, but on console everything has to pop and have a purpose. Project CARS unfortunately didn't do anything to alter the game and raise potential enjoyment for a new set of platforms. 

I have nothing to do with Project CARS 2 so I'm not sure if any of your criticisms have been fixed. All I do know is the game appears to be pushing visual boundaries even more, so if the original was a mess frame rate wise on Xbox then the sequel may not be much better.

Thanks for replying firstly, I think you're right, I imagine the PC version to be rather a different beast for hardcore sim fans and probably much more suited to a proper wheel setup rather than joypad but on xb1 hardware with a pad it simply doesn't work. As I said (and I really hope you didn't work on the parts I mentioned in my original post :P ) I just found it too clinical and not great to play on xb1.

About to start Dead Rising 4 now, got it for £25 and it has no time limits which is what stopped me enjoying the others. Looking forward to this!

• Like 1

On 28/02/2017 at 11:29, Davkaus said:

Can you explain to a layman why on earth you'd tie game physics to the framerate? It's something that has caused endless problems for a few titles, especially Bethesda ones.

It ruins the game for people with weaker hardware, as well as people with  great hardware that want to get the most out of their monitors with hgiher refresh rates. There must be a good reason for it, but it seems to harm the user experience.

I likely worded it wrong, but we didn't tie the physics to the frame rate because like you said it hurts all involved. You only have to play something like Need for Speed: Rivals on PC with an uncapped frame rate to see why it is a bad idea.

What I was alluding to is outside interference as a result of poor performance. Frame rate can affect everything from frame pacing, input latency and overall responsiveness. This has an overbearing affect on the physics model and how easy and smooth the game is to play. You don't have to tie frame rate to physics to have one affect the other, there are lots of things at play that can have a negative effect and sometimes it can snowball into a big problem.  

I am sure we have all played games where something doesn't feel right. Everything "seems" smooth but there is something off about the game. Players that play Bloodborne will know exactly this issue. That game largely runs at a solid 30FPS and it is a very well made game, but something in the programming or maybe a taxing rendering effect has a negative impact on that game. Bloodborne's issue is frame pacing so for whatever reason even at a solid 30FPS frames are not being drawn consistently at 33.3ms as they should be. This appears as poor performance that you can't quite put your finger on, sluggish animations and weird slowdown at times.

The same seems to be happening with Project CARS. We didn't tie the physics to the frame rate, but one or several performance issues could be having a negative impact on how each car feels and handles as a result. So maybe I worded it wrong and made it look like physics was tied to frame rate, but it's all the external things that can impact the feel of the game that is what I was meaning. 

This is why I'm not a PR guy lol. 

Edited by Daweii
Several corrections. I was in a rush. Should make a little more sense now (I hope)

• 1 month later...

Ocarina of time 3DS. 

This is the first time I've played a Zelda game properly . I had the N64 version when I was a kid but I had no idea what I was doing at the time. It still brings back memories despite that. 

It's glorious. They have totally nailed it and it is a perfect upgrade IMO. I'm only a couple of hours in but I can't wait to finish what most people call the greatest game of all time. 

• Like 4

How are you finding Persona 5? (Maybe one for the actual Persona thread I guess).

Camageddon is made by a company on the Isle of Wight, their office is across the road from me :) 

I am currently playing Motorsport Manager (Mac), Zelda BOTW (Switch) and Lego Marvel Avengers (Vita). 

54 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

For some reason I had the urge to dust out the n64 and play it. Forgotten how bloody good this console was. Mario 64 one of the best Mario games ever

A huge reason I have the Wii U and the Wii before it was to have Mario 64 and other games on virtual console. When the Wii U gives up and I can't play the old games any more I'll be very sad.

• Like 2

thats all i was doing with my wii 

when it finally actually gets released id like to know the sales of the snes classic compared to the switch, by feb this year they'd sold 1.5m nes classics, id expect the snes to be more popular

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

thats all i was doing with my wii 

when it finally actually gets released id like to know the sales of the snes classic compared to the switch, by feb this year they'd sold 1.5m nes classics, id expect the snes to be more popular

That's a really good point. I think the snes classic is going to do unbelievably well. I would definitely buy it.

Hopefully a N64 classic as well

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've largely been playing PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS which is currently the latest big deal in the battle royale genre of survival shooters. I adore it even though it is pretty buggy and deaths can be rather frustrating due to the sheer range players can engage you from. Great fun though when rounds go to plan. 

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think my weekend is Dawn of War 3. There's an open beta this weekend ahead of next week's release. 

Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty is 7 years old, yet somehow DoW3 is a downgrade on it in so many ways, nevermind the 2 SC2 expansions. The interface is absolutely appalling. You can't rebind hotkeys. You can't add individual units to a control group; then recreate the group with new units in it.

There's some fun gameplay in there, but it's pretty frustrating to play.

Edited by Davkaus

Â