What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

Brought Hitman yesterday. Haven't played it yet but I'm really hoping it's as good as previous ones!

General feeling on it is players that would consider themselves Hitman purists hate it because it's been simplified and chopped down. But it seems to be doing well with other reviewers who don't care so much about the series unique features and style.

Sonic and Sega All Star Racing: Transformed

If you like racing/kart games you NEED this, it is absolutely fantastic and its only £25, the first one was superb and this is just better in every way. It truly is a brilliant game.

General feeling on it is players that would consider themselves Hitman purists hate it because it's been simplified and chopped down. But it seems to be doing well with other reviewers who don't care so much about the series unique features and style.

Only slightly simplified I'd say, I think they had to find a kind of middle ground or risk it becoming a purist only type of game. It's still pretty difficult if you're a bit of a perfectionist, like I can be. I've enjoyed it so far.

I imagine it's a bitch with the difficult turned up. Infact I know it will be.

Sonic and Sega All Star Racing: Transformed

If you like racing/kart games you NEED this, it is absolutely fantastic and its only £25, the first one was superb and this is just better in every way. It truly is a brilliant game.

I enjoyed the first one but it wasn't as good as Mario..

Might have to get this, didn't even realise there was a new one

Is Hitan a game I can just pick up and play starting with the new title, or do I need to know the story and be immersed in the others to appreciate it?

All the back story you need to know about the Hitman games:

1] You are a hitman.

2] Hitmen get paid money to kill people.

The finale of The Walking Dead was sooo **** good. Perfect way to round of the series. Mild spoilers below

I suppose the natural way for the next 'season' to play out was with Clem as the main character, and I guess that's how it's going to be. Although I didnt actually consider that until after I finished episode 5, I thought it was going to end in such a way that every character was incapacitated/zombified/dead, so the next 'season' would be with completely new characters...

I am massively eager to get in to it again and play my opposites save (making all the opposite decisions to my first save ofc) through episode 5, and see how different it is. Mostly because some of the stuff seems massively divergent, especially the different ways I finished episode 4, the start of episode 5 will be quite different...quite different indeed.

But yeh, what a series of games. As I've said before, for a game with so little gameplay and dodgy graphics to be so engaging is a real testament to the strength of the writing for the plot and characters. I would agree it's one of the games of the gen, easily, let alone of the year. Would never have guessed that from a 'graphic adventure game', heh.

is it good?

expecting it to be exactly the same as the other games, but i loved star wars and indy so might give it a go if i can find it on offer

If you like lego and LOTR then you'll love it. It's like the old lego games but with more things to do and you hear the real voice overs for all the cut scenes

The final episode of The Walking Dead was truly excellent. Great, emotional writing. Not much of a 'game' in gameplay terms, but the story itself provides more enjoyment than most other games provide with their conventional, action-heavy gameplay.

Which brings me neatly to Hitman: Absolution. Not enjoying this one at all. I've played all the others and I guess I'm a fan, but I don't dislike it because it's different. It's not really all that different at all. It's just kind of **** bad. The disguise system is pretty much useless, the story is garbage, all the guards respawn when you reload and the levels are more of an ordeal than anything else. The entire premise of being a 'hitman' doesn't even make sense in most of the levels any more; much of the time you won't have a target to kill and you'll just be surrounded with people who know who you are and are out to get you, yet the score system still penalises you for killing. Really, what? It's like every level is the final massacre-type level from Blood Money/Silent Assassin, but the game still wants you to play as if tidiness were a factor. If I was Nathan Drake on the run from these guys, I could slaughter them all and not give a shit. But because I'm a genetically engineered super assassin I have to worry about sticking my corpses in the rubbish when I'm done, or else I get a shit score. No thanks.

It just seems to be riddled with horrible design decisions, which is weird because the graphics and art direction are mind-blowing, so it's not like this game wasn't lovingly crafted. If I want a good-looking, cinematic third person shooter, I'll play Max Payne 3. If I want a bad stealth game... well, I just don't want a bad stealth game, so never mind.

The final episode of The Walking Dead was truly excellent. Great, emotional writing. Not much of a 'game' in gameplay terms, but the story itself provides more enjoyment than most other games provide with their conventional, action-heavy gameplay.

Which brings me neatly to Hitman: Absolution. Not enjoying this one at all. I've played all the others and I guess I'm a fan, but I don't dislike it because it's different. It's not really all that different at all. It's just kind of **** bad. The disguise system is pretty much useless, the story is garbage, all the guards respawn when you reload and the levels are more of an ordeal than anything else. The entire premise of being a 'hitman' doesn't even make sense in most of the levels any more; much of the time you won't have a target to kill and you'll just be surrounded with people who know who you are and are out to get you, yet the score system still penalises you for killing. Really, what? It's like every level is the final massacre-type level from Blood Money/Silent Assassin, but the game still wants you to play as if tidiness were a factor. If I was Nathan Drake on the run from these guys, I could slaughter them all and not give a shit. But because I'm a genetically engineered super assassin I have to worry about sticking my corpses in the rubbish when I'm done, or else I get a shit score. No thanks.

It just seems to be riddled with horrible design decisions, which is weird because the graphics and art direction are mind-blowing, so it's not like this game wasn't lovingly crafted. If I want a good-looking, cinematic third person shooter, I'll play Max Payne 3. If I want a bad stealth game... well, I just don't want a bad stealth game, so never mind.

I love, love the Hitman series and it makes me a little sad that in general I agree with this.

The disguise stuff is one of the biggest problems, it basically means you can't have a disguise because whenever you have one you'll get spotted by a guard and then it's all over if you don't mind killing them. Hitman was all about taking out an NPC, using his clothes to get you into places otherwise unaccesible and then finding elaborate ways of killing them whilst they don't suspect a thing. Now it's basically sneaking around as if it's Splinter Cell. Not good.

And agreed on the missions too, I can think of probably 3 or 4 levels that resemble old Hitman games. It's a shame because some of the game is brilliant, it's just that the levels, story and disguise system lets it down.

No problems with the score system though, essentially if you kill somebody silently and dispose of their body your score isn't effected, which is fine and that's always how Hitman has been. The game has always rewarded you for killing only what is neccessary, it's only because you can now see the score system that they would previously hide until the end of the missions on other Hitman games people are saying it's a problem, it's always been there though. Try and kill other people and still get a silent assassin rating on any Hitman game and it won't happen. Same in this. The problem still is that you need the disguise system to actually **** work so that you don't have to be constantly getting into situations where you need to kill others.

I did complete this game, and I somewhat liked it. But I think that's just because I've always loved the series.

No problems with the score system though, essentially if you kill somebody silently and dispose of their body your score isn't effected, which is fine and that's always how Hitman has been. The game has always rewarded you for killing only what is neccessary, it's only because you can now see the score system that they would previously hide until the end of the missions on other Hitman games people are saying it's a problem, it's always been there though.

It's not that I'm complaining about the score system, but rather the score system as it fits into some of the scenarios in this game. Being a 'silent assassin' makes sense when you're a hitman working for an agency that's trying to avoid attention. It doesn't make any sense when you're just a guy with no contract, being hunted by 30 goons who want to kill you and killing all of them should actually be beneficial (I'm thinking of the Orphanage level here, but there are several like it). Logically speaking, leaving any of them alive shouldn't be a positive thing and who are you supposed to be trying to fool by tidying away the bodies? The police already know all about you so the idea of avoiding notoriety is meaningless. With the story the writers have set up, 47 should be able to do whatever the hell he wants in order to survive. It's basically an abduction/revenge spiel like Max Payne, which doesn't make me want to kill 1 in 10 enemies and hide them in cupboards - it makes me want to blow hired goons away. I just don't think they've come up with a setting where sneaky play makes rational sense. But they want you to be sneaky anyway 'because it's Hitman'.

In the funeral level in Blood Money or the Church assault in Hitman 2, it was like: okay, everyone wants to kill you now, so who cares, go and slaughter them all. No need to be a silent assassin. This game sets up that same kind of scenario over and over but the score system is still saying 'remember to be quiet!' My reaction is, 'why?? oh yeah, because videogames.'

I realise it's a kind of trivial complaint, but it's symptomatic of how jumbled and dumb the story feels IMO.

Fair enough then, I get your point although it's not really one I'd ever considered. Also agreed on the story being shite, one good thing about the Hitman games is that a story has never been all that needed, and then when they do put one in they've just **** it up.

I just wish this game was more like Blood Money, more sandbox areas with freedom to explore, scout the map and decide how you want to approach it. And it's just frustrating that the handful of missions in the game that somewhat allow you to do that are the very best ones.

Â