What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

11 hours ago, RunRickyRun said:

My tips for learning chess

1) Lean how to checkmate - Play King, Queen, Rook verses King. Queen King verses King all the way down to Pawn King verses King (ignore bishops and Knights). Until you master this keep practising

2) Learn the endgame. Start with 8 pawns verses 8 pawns and mix it up by adding in a knight or rook or reducing the starting pawns.

3) Learn a simple white opening that will teach you how to develop pieces. Ruy Lopez (exchange variation) is a good one to start with. Don't get too bogged down with opening theory as it's only relevant once you get to a club standard. Once you have picked up the concepts, play as black and try the same concepts. Don't try anything too fancy - e4-e5 is where you want to start and will feature in the majority of your games once you get past the beginner stage.

4) Try and play in person. Online is full of cheats as it's pretty much the easiest game to cheat at.

5)  GNU Chess is a good free programme to practice against. It's rated above international masters so will absolutely kick your ass.

I've started with learning the general strategy for opening. Not specific openings, but that you're generally trying to develop pieces and control the middle of the board.
The end game and checkmate is what I really struggle with. Takes me ages and ages to get the opponent into checkmate. The games I usually win are ones that I get the opponent down to just their king.

That's one thing I love about fighting games, it's basically a game of chess once you get over the execution barrier. Assuming the 2 players are equally as skilled it becomes a matter of out-strategizing and out-positioning your opponent and thinking multiple moves head while only having a split second to do so and execute them.

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That's one thing I love about fighting games, it's basically a game of chess once you get over the execution barrier. Assuming the 2 players are equally as skilled it becomes a matter of out-strategizing and out-positioning your opponent and thinking multiple moves head while only having a split second to do so and execute them.

So.. button mash.

On 17/06/2020 at 16:39, GarethRDR said:

Quite tempted to pick up Days Gone actually.  Always liked the look of it, what I've seen puts me in mind of a more linear State Of Decay (which I squeezed every drop out of back on the ol' 360).

Let me know how Days Gone is, it's next on my list.

From your list Spiderman and Metro Exodus were both good games. Spiderman was the better of the two though, once you get into it it becomes quite addictive.

On 22/06/2020 at 05:00, Stevo985 said:

I've started with learning the general strategy for opening. Not specific openings, but that you're generally trying to develop pieces and control the middle of the board.
The end game and checkmate is what I really struggle with. Takes me ages and ages to get the opponent into checkmate. The games I usually win are ones that I get the opponent down to just their king.

I have been playing chess for years and the best tips I can give you is.

1- Wait till your opponent has shown you which side of the board he is going to attack, thenCastle on the other side of the board.

2 - Try to figure out what is your opponents favourite piece and then try to cramp its style or take it.

3 - Place Bishops on the sides of the board and wait till your opponent forgets that they are there and you can swoop and take one of his pieces.

4- Your Rooks can only move in a streight line so they are deadly in the endgame.

5 - My favourite piece is the Knight.I think its better than the Qheen even ( IMHO ) because people get quite confused on where it can move and even people that play chess quite often overlook where a Knight can land next.Also its the best piece early as it can jump over other pieces.

6 - Quite often in a game you I will place my Bishop directly where an opponents piece can take it.9 times out of 10 my opponent will ignore it and I will take his piece and sacrifice my Bishop as that is the piece that is my least favourite.

Hope some of these tips help.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

So.. button mash.

No, you'll get found out pretty quick! If you watch a professional match of say Street Fighter, not many buttons are pressed. A lot of the game is spent in neutral with footsies played to jostle for positional advantage.

On 23/06/2020 at 16:39, PussEKatt said:

I have been playing chess for years and the best tips I can give you is.

1- Wait till your opponent has shown you which side of the board he is going to attack, thenCastle on the other side of the board.

2 - Try to figure out what is your opponents favourite piece and then try to cramp its style or take it.

3 - Place Bishops on the sides of the board and wait till your opponent forgets that they are there and you can swoop and take one of his pieces.

4- Your Rooks can only move in a streight line so they are deadly in the endgame.

5 - My favourite piece is the Knight.I think its better than the Qheen even ( IMHO ) because people get quite confused on where it can move and even people that play chess quite often overlook where a Knight can land next.Also its the best piece early as it can jump over other pieces.

6 - Quite often in a game you I will place my Bishop directly where an opponents piece can take it.9 times out of 10 my opponent will ignore it and I will take his piece and sacrifice my Bishop as that is the piece that is my least favourite.

Hope some of these tips help.

That suggest to me you play against pretty shite players, cause that's the type of stuff I forget all the bloody time. 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That suggest to me you play against pretty shite players, cause that's the type of stuff I forget all the bloody time. 

"I think its better than the Qheen even ( IMHO ) because people get quite confused on where it can move and even people that play chess quite often overlook where a Knight can land next"

I think that much is obvious!

• Haha 1

On 30/06/2020 at 13:18, KenjiOgiwara said:

On the contrary.If you can get to use the knight properly you can get an early advantage because the knight can jump over pieces so he has a real advantage in the early game.If you can get just one piece advantage early you can win the game just by using the process of attrition.

As I said, I have been playing for years and I stick with what I said earlier.

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

On the contrary.If you can get to use the knight properly you can get an early advantage because the knight can jump over pieces so he has a real advantage in the early game.If you can get just one piece advantage early you can win the game just by using the process of attrition.

As I said, I have been playing for years and I stick with what I said earlier.

See this is where I struggle with you English, as 50% of me says you're being serious and the other half thinks you're taking the piss 

On 21/06/2020 at 22:00, Stevo985 said:

As you improve and play against better players, you'll find they will resign a lot earlier. It's common for beginners to play to the very end, even multiple pieces down.

As a rule of thumb, if you are ahead materially (ie up by at least two pawns), rather than look for a checkmate, you should look to exchange as many pieces as possible to force an endgame then use your material advantage to advance your remaining pawns to turn them into queens . This is where practising the endgame helps a lot.

• Like 1

Currently playing Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (is that the title) on the Switch. I think it was @Stevo985 who mentioned getting 3 stars on every cup. I started doing that a while back and did it through 50-100cc very easily. Starting from 150cc isn't as easy. Extremely out of practice. Will just try and win everything for now and go back and get the 3 stars later.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hornso said:

Currently playing Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (is that the title) on the Switch. I think it was @Stevo985 who mentioned getting 3 stars on every cup. I started doing that a while back and did it through 50-100cc very easily. Starting from 150cc isn't as easy. Extremely out of practice. Will just try and win everything for now and go back and get the 3 stars later.

Nice!

i managed it on 150cc ok. 200cc is much much harder!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Death Stranding is going to be next. Anyone played it?

I finished it.

It's very... Marmite.

The game is basically about overcoming the environment. Traversal is intentionally awkward, there's various things going on to make it even more awkward. You can trip on uneven ground. You have to balance your cargo and if you lose balance your will drop and damage whatever you're transporting. Getting caught in rain will damage cargo over time. You have stamina to maintain. Your gear is damaged over time to the extent that you are basically forced to carry spare boots...

That makes the game sound awful. But I ultimately found out quite enjoyable. It has very satisfying gameplay loops and has a nice progression - every upgrade and every bit of progression is basically a step towards overcoming the environment more and more and more. You'll get more sturdy boots, you'll get exo-skeletons letting you carry more, or balance more effectively, or move faster. Eventually you start to develop actual infrastructure - contributing to building roads as part of asynchronous multiplayer or developing other ways of moving quickly...

I really enjoyed it overall. But I can absolutely understand why many would hate it. It literally makes basic gameplay conceits intentionally difficult. It takes filler fetch quest side activities from other games and makes them the game. And it's story is complete bollocks and has the problems of Kojima's absurd pompous pseudo intellectual philosophising baked into every nook and cranny and done to excess.

But if you click with it, it's oddly satisfying, and beautiful. And as a sucker for Yoji Shinkawa's art design it's **** glorious.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Chindie said:

I finished it.

It's very... Marmite.

The game is basically about overcoming the environment. Traversal is intentionally awkward, there's various things going on to make it even more awkward. You can trip on uneven ground. You have to balance your cargo and if you lose balance your will drop and damage whatever you're transporting. Getting caught in rain will damage cargo over time. You have stamina to maintain. Your gear is damaged over time to the extent that you are basically forced to carry spare boots...

That makes the game sound awful. But I ultimately found out quite enjoyable. It has very satisfying gameplay loops and has a nice progression - every upgrade and every bit of progression is basically a step towards overcoming the environment more and more and more. You'll get more sturdy boots, you'll get exo-skeletons letting you carry more, or balance more effectively, or move faster. Eventually you start to develop actual infrastructure - contributing to building roads as part of asynchronous multiplayer or developing other ways of moving quickly...

I really enjoyed it overall. But I can absolutely understand why many would hate it. It literally makes basic gameplay conceits intentionally difficult. It takes filler fetch quest side activities from other games and makes them the game. And it's story is complete bollocks and has the problems of Kojima's absurd pompous pseudo intellectual philosophising baked into every nook and cranny and done to excess.

But if you click with it, it's oddly satisfying, and beautiful. And as a sucker for Yoji Shinkawa's art design it's **** glorious.

Thanks, think I will give it a try looks interesting as a bit of a different game for a change of pace.

Will let you know how I get on.

23 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Uncharted 4 complete. Not as good as Uncharted 2, but still a masterpiece and an insanely polished, good looking game.

Death Stranding is going to be next. Anyone played it?

I played it and just couldn't get on with it for all the reasons @Chindie mentioned.  You'll either love or hate it - there's no middle ground. 

Â