What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

Started Code Vein.

Enjoyable so far with a 'Souls' type combat system and respawning mobs but an Anime look to the graphics.

spacer.png

Edited by Designer1

Started The Outer Worlds at the weekend via Game Pass. Right up my street. Its essentially a Fallout game and its not surprising to see the names associated with it. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

The Outer Worlds has just got a Switch port.

It looks and performs awfully. The Switch is a surprisingly capable machine but there's some stuff it just isn't worth trying to port, and this would appear to be a prime candidate. The textures are appalling - there's some that wouldn't look out of place on an N64. Literally.

Picked up the copy of God Of War I've had sitting on a shelf for months but been unable to play prior to sorting out the overheating PS4.  I'd not played any of the previous games so don't know how it's meant to stack up but I must have burned through the main quest in a fortnight, got through a good chunk of the optional stuff (that Muspelheim Valkyrie can piss right off though) and have to say 'tis a strong contender for my favourite game this gen.  Just absolutely terrific stuff, once the combat system had sunk in it was so satisfying, story was engrossing even without knowing any of the prior context (though I might attribute some of that for me just sat there, eagerly awaiting Christopher Judge saying "Indeed").  Only minor gripe was I could have done with unlocking the fast-travel sooner in the story, but the world was so beautifully crafted that it wasn't too much of a chore to sail everywhere.  And maybe deduct a half-point for having a character regurgitate the scorpion/frog parable, which is the literary equivalent of shouting for Free Bird at this juncture.

Still, top, top stuff.  High hopes for a sequel.  At a loss with what to play next though, I've got one of Metro: Exodus, Spiderman and Vampyr in the queue and I've probably spent a couple hours on each of them but none of them have really grabbed me so far, open to suggestions?

The previous games were good, linear button mashers with a touch of quality and scale about them and a decent enough story and character in kratos

The jump up in quality is substantial though, it's like a 7 or 8 out of 10 jumping to a 10/10 

There's a remaster of 3 and then all of them are available on PSN / PS now but I wouldn't bother, assassins creed odyssey is probably cheap enough if you wanted another open world action slasher, days gone is alright for the price you can get it for 

• Like 1

Quite tempted to pick up Days Gone actually.  Always liked the look of it, what I've seen puts me in mind of a more linear State Of Decay (which I squeezed every drop out of back on the ol' 360).

Days Gone is a good game. I don't think I recall it having much needing patching - it's problems were basically it didn't have anything truly incredible about it. It was just the most solid open world game you could imagine with a zombie theme. So a slightly tired genre with a very tired theme. But it does it well. About the only bad thing about it is the fixing the bike can get a bit tiresome. But even that isn't that bad.

• Like 1

On 16/05/2020 at 14:59, A'Villan said:

Does anyone here play Chess?

I know this isn't a video game but I'm trying to learn.

I know the rules of chess but I know very little about how to actually play the game well.

Any good tips on how to learn? I'm trying a few videos on YouTube and signed up to chess24 but so far I'm giving the easiest computer opponent a decent game and that's about it :D 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I know the rules of chess but I know very little about how to actually play the game well.

Any good tips on how to learn? I'm trying a few videos on YouTube and signed up to chess24 but so far I'm giving the easiest computer opponent a decent game and that's about it :D 

It's been years since I played chess (like maybe 20 years) I use to be ok at it. My dad use to teach that one of the most important things is to see possible moves as far ahead as possible. Pretty sure that's why they take so long between moves, literally go through each scenario but not just 1 move ahead but multiple moves ahead. If you ever want a game online and know a forum we can join I'd love to play sometime. 

31 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

It's been years since I played chess (like maybe 20 years) I use to be ok at it. My dad use to teach that one of the most important things is to see possible moves as far ahead as possible. Pretty sure that's why they take so long between moves, literally go through each scenario but not just 1 move ahead but multiple moves ahead. If you ever want a game online and know a forum we can join I'd love to play sometime. 

Chess24 seems a good one. Free to sign up and it’s got lessons and computer players as well as being able to play people online. That’s what I’m using for now

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Chess24 seems a good one. Free to sign up and it’s got lessons and computer players as well as being able to play people online. That’s what I’m using for now

I will check it out!

On 10/06/2020 at 14:49, Chindie said:

The Outer Worlds has just got a Switch port.

It looks and performs awfully. The Switch is a surprisingly capable machine but there's some stuff it just isn't worth trying to port, and this would appear to be a prime candidate. The textures are appalling - there's some that wouldn't look out of place on an N64. Literally.

Just had a look and cant agree more. Looks very poor.

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh Stevo! 

I'll try and keep it short.

I am at your level in that I know the rules. In terms of strategies for the game and tactics for players with certain tendencies, I've not developed that.

Against my peers and siblings as a child I won, as an adult I signed up to an online chess site and was told categorically by a few opponents to play against the computer...

On easy difficulty level!!

I can share these chess quotes which I hope you like as much as I do:

"People need to realise they are more than mere pawns in a game of chess, and see themselves as players of the game, as a player can always walk away from the game, a pawn is bound to it" - A'Villan

"A pawn can only move forwards in this game, never backwards" - Unknown

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

My tips for learning chess

1) Lean how to checkmate - Play King, Queen, Rook verses King. Queen King verses King all the way down to Pawn King verses King (ignore bishops and Knights). Until you master this keep practising

2) Learn the endgame. Start with 8 pawns verses 8 pawns and mix it up by adding in a knight or rook or reducing the starting pawns.

3) Learn a simple white opening that will teach you how to develop pieces. Ruy Lopez (exchange variation) is a good one to start with. Don't get too bogged down with opening theory as it's only relevant once you get to a club standard. Once you have picked up the concepts, play as black and try the same concepts. Don't try anything too fancy - e4-e5 is where you want to start and will feature in the majority of your games once you get past the beginner stage.

4) Try and play in person. Online is full of cheats as it's pretty much the easiest game to cheat at.

5)  GNU Chess is a good free programme to practice against. It's rated above international masters so will absolutely kick your ass.

Â