What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

Motorsport Manager with the Fire 20 mod to add more balance and real drivers/teams/competitions.

I only downloaded it last week and I’m finding the simplicity quite nice compared to starting a game on FM.

Anyone else tried it?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I loved 3 and then SMW happened... 

That's the definitive Mario for me, absolutely smashed it when I was a kid and a couple of times since 

I've never quite liked the aesthetic of SMW, from the graphics to the steel pan soundtrack of the same song remixed 20 times. But I'll admit, when deep into gameplay it's really fun. 

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I've never quite liked the aesthetic of SMW, from the graphics to the steel pan soundtrack of the same song remixed 20 times. But I'll admit, when deep into gameplay it's really fun. 

Yeah I'm the same actually.

I adore Mario games. I've played and loved nearly all of them (Sunshine being the only one in recent times I've missed). But Super Mario World never clicked with me. Maybe because I never owned a Snes, but I've tried to play it a few times and never got through it.

I might give it a final go seeing as you can play it on the Switch for free these days

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I'm the same actually.

I adore Mario games. I've played and loved nearly all of them (Sunshine being the only one in recent times I've missed). But Super Mario World never clicked with me. Maybe because I never owned a Snes, but I've tried to play it a few times and never got through it.

I might give it a final go seeing as you can play it on the Switch for free these days

Once you get in the swing of things and get over that initial hump it's actually really good, especially in 2-player. It's really hard to get over though :lol: . I need to play it again too, it's been a whole decade since I played it properly. I keep forgetting it's on the Switch. 

it helps that it came in my 1st golden age of gaming, I was 8 when it was released but wouldn't have got it at launch, for me it took all the good stuff from 3 and expanded it, I also thought that it had greater depth than the previous games or at least I had a greater understanding of the ability to go off in different directions, unlock levels, push the big buttons and replay levels to get the secrets etc

its part of my problem with Nintendo, im overly fond of that spell where they mastered 2D games, super Mario world, link to the past, super Metroid, super Mario kart etc that I didn't really get in to them when they went 3D, I didn't own one because it was too expensive compared to the PS1 but everything I played on the N64 wasn't as good IMO as the more polished 2D version (I think the only exception was F-Zero, that game was mental on the game cube, nausea inducingly fast)

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

it helps that it came in my 1st golden age of gaming, I was 8 when it was released but wouldn't have got it at launch, for me it took all the good stuff from 3 and expanded it, I also thought that it had greater depth than the previous games or at least I had a greater understanding of the ability to go off in different directions, unlock levels, push the big buttons and replay levels to get the secrets etc

its part of my problem with Nintendo, im overly fond of that spell where they mastered 2D games, super Mario world, link to the past, super Metroid, super Mario kart etc that I didn't really get in to them when they went 3D, I didn't own one because it was too expensive compared to the PS1 but everything I played on the N64 wasn't as good IMO as the more polished 2D version (I think the only exception was F-Zero, that game was mental on the game cube, nausea inducingly fast)

I think the amount of secrets in SMW is like sugar overload. You have to really put in the work to 100% it. I guess as a kid that was probably heaven on earth. I think SMB3 had a perfect amount of secrets. Not too many to put you off, but enough to have a mystique about it. For example I only recently found out there was a third whistle the whole time! The New Super Mario Bros series does a good job of blending the best of both worlds imo.

As for the 3D games, Super Mario 64, while bearing little resemblance to its 2D predecessors was just jaw dropping for me when it came out. The fully realized 3D world and the immaculate 360 controls at the time were like what it must have been like to discover sliced bread. To be fair, I never played any of the 2D games apart from Mario before the 3D ones so I could be biased, but the only franchise I'm not as big on in 3D over 2D is probably Metroid. Super Metroid is just brilliant.

I bought super metroid purely for the fact that it came in the A4 sized box and I would say until I got resident evil on the PS1 some years later it was my favourite game, I wasn't good at it because of my age but I piled hours in to it 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'd disagree with your last paragraph.

Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Ocarina of Time, F Zero X, Starfox 64. There's probably more.

All massive upgrades on what came before them and pretty groundbreaking at the time.

• Like 1

nostalgia pushes the SNES over the edge for me, not owning an N64 doesn't help obviously and revisiting the games years later doesn't either because they had aged badly to me, then owning a GC and picking up sunshine...also really didn't like Metroid Prime (loved WW), I had a Wii for about 2 weeks before trading it, garbage console that I just outright had no interest in the style of play, I will eventually get a switch when the price drops to a justifiable figure and revisit galaxy, BotW etc and maybe change my mind

but Nintendo to me is the SNES and the Gameboy and 2D games 

On 28/05/2020 at 05:33, villa4europe said:

nostalgia pushes the SNES over the edge for me, not owning an N64 doesn't help obviously and revisiting the games years later doesn't either because they had aged badly to me, then owning a GC and picking up sunshine...also really didn't like Metroid Prime (loved WW), I had a Wii for about 2 weeks before trading it, garbage console that I just outright had no interest in the style of play, I will eventually get a switch when the price drops to a justifiable figure and revisit galaxy, BotW etc and maybe change my mind

but Nintendo to me is the SNES and the Gameboy and 2D games 

Ah the Wii was great. It doubles as a Gamecube now too. The 2 Galaxy's, the 2 Zelda's, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Rayman Origins, the Kirby and Yoshi games, Okami etc. It was wonderful. 

Your best bet is that 3D remaster project really does come to fruition because the only way to play the Galaxy's is on a Wii or Wii U (now that was a damp squib of a console).

It went completely against how I play games, same with VR, that Xbox camera thing etc

i tend to play game late at night after a long day, came from crashing after working evenings, then moved on to playing when the missus is asleep, tonight for example I’m sat playing FM in bed with the wife next to me fast asleep, did have the PS4 in here but seeing as it’s louder than your average gig that had to stop

cant even remember which wii games I had, I was working at GAME at the time with then a couple of shifts in a chippie on the evening, I traded in my ps3, had the wii for 2 weeks, took it back to work and got a 360 instead, I think maybe I’d have had more patience with it if I’d had one of the other consoles at the same time but I didn’t, it was a gimmicky side show for me, a cheaper 2nd console option, something to wheel out for parties, didnt enjoy it at all

think I’ve said this before, the GameCube was a great little console, some really good games but simply not enough of them but the biggest killer of it from my experience at GAME was the lack of a DVD player, if your mom came in to my shop before Xmas saying my kid wants a console but I don’t know which one to get him (of which there were surprisingly many) they were walking out with a ps2 as soon as they heard “built in DVD player” it was a deal sealer for moms

• Like 1

Madden 20 (In a franchise online league), FIFA20 (pissing about the VOLTA and FUT) and Lego Batman Gotham 3 (with the lad).

Will start up Jedi again soon as I never finished it (FFVIIR came out)

Having only the last 3 chapters of Uncharted 3 to go, I've ordered Assassins Creed Odyssey and Black Flag (only a couple of quid!) off eBay following recommendations on here. 

really enjoyed the uncharted series having already completed parts 1,2 and 4. I hope the AC franchise is as entertaining

• Like 1

On 26/05/2020 at 19:17, Sam-AVFC said:

Motorsport Manager with the Fire 20 mod to add more balance and real drivers/teams/competitions.

I only downloaded it last week and I’m finding the simplicity quite nice compared to starting a game on FM.

Anyone else tried it?

Been playing for 18 months but also just downloaded the real teams etc. Brilliant!

• Like 1

Â