What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Are the Souls games harder than Bloodborne?

Hard to say.

I played Bloodborne having finished Dark Souls 3 (and loving it) and having played a bit of 1. I found Bloodborne easier over all than those games, but also found that Bloodborne's hardest bosses were harder than the Souls hardest bosses (just - DS3 has some nasty bosses in it's DLC).

Bloodborne encourages a more aggressive style. You can play Souls that way (and many of the best players do, and many others will do on a NG+ run) but initially most people will play with a much more methodical defensive style, using a shield and tanking. But Souls also has a greater variety to it - there's far more weapon types and there's also magic as a completely separate system, so the difficulty is basically up to the play style in many ways

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The GOAT

I really thought it was a lot of hype and bluster, mostly around the open world aspect of it but it's so much more than that. The main quest is easily the most involved story apart from Skyward Sword. Doing the Yiga Clan Hideout right now and it reminds me of the Gerudo Fortress from OoT and the Forsaken Fortress from Wind Waker.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I really thought it was a lot of hype and bluster, mostly around the open world aspect of it but it's so much more than that. The main quest is easily the most involved story apart from Skyward Sword. Doing the Yiga Clan Hideout right now and it reminds me of the Gerudo Fortress from OoT and the Forsaken Fortress from Wind Waker.

Yeah at the time I thought there were a few overreactions when it first came out given the rave reviews. But now I don' think they were at all.

But honestly I really do rate it that highly. I think it's utterly brilliant.

I think even accounting for the fact OoT is nearly 25 years old, BotW is still the better game

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah at the time I thought there were a few overreactions when it first came out given the rave reviews. But now I don' think they were at all.

But honestly I really do rate it that highly. I think it's utterly brilliant.

I think even accounting for the fact OoT is nearly 25 years old, BotW is still the better game

I'm starting to come around to that idea. I'm gonna do a Zelda marathon, going backwards and I really think it's going to be hard to top this. I love Skyward Sword and Ocarina but even they have their flaws. This one is spotless so far.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'm starting to come around to that idea. I'm gonna do a Zelda marathon, going backwards and I really think it's going to be hard to top this. I love Skyward Sword and Ocarina but even they have their flaws. This one is spotless so far.

It's quite funny to look back at the start of the BotW thread and see the people absolutely outraged that it was being called the GOAT by some reviewers.

It's totally justified!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's quite funny to look back at the start of the BotW thread and see the people absolutely outraged that it was being called the GOAT by some reviewers.

It's totally justified!

It's certainly in the conversation. 

• Like 1

It's an incredible game, but it's not the best Zelda for me, let alone GOAT. Breath of the Wind married to some classic Zelda gameplay, notably a number of proper temples, is a true GOAT. As is, it's an absolutely brilliant game, one of the best of the generation easily.

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's an incredible game, but it's not the best Zelda for me, let alone GOAT. Breath of the Wind married to some classic Zelda gameplay, notably a number of proper temples, is a true GOAT. As is, it's an absolutely brilliant game, one of the best of the generation easily.

Honestly, what's pushing me towards saying it's the best Zelda game is that it has most of the classic Zelda gameplay. I've been very pleasantly surprised. I've only done the first Divine Beast, but it's already a very good temple and there's 3 more! The dozens of shrines scattered around also make up for the lack of fully fleshed out dungeons.

It's the GOAT for me. Finally taken over OoT after 25 odd years to get there. Maybe you could give it to OoT or Windwaker or something when you take time into account. But BotW is a far better game than either of those when you take the time factor out of it.

I've never enjoyed a game more than this. 160 hours and I could go back to it now and put another 50 in I'm sure (and I will at some point). I guess it did lack some classic temples but the rest of it more than made up for it. 

It's honestly incredible. And I still think a big reason I didn't click with RDR2 was because I tried to play it after BotW and it just felt pointless because it wasn't BotW!

But as @Designer1 says it's at least in the conversation, which justifies those early rave reviews.

It's certainly worthy of the praise it got. It's an incredible game and the development in the gameplay is immense.

But, for me, it isn't the absolutely wonderful experience OoT was. Take Breath of the Wild and put in some more of the OoT structure, particularly the series of extended dungeons, and you've got a contender for a near insurmountable best of all time title. As is, Breath of the Wild suffers that crucial, little bit from having a small selection of pretty naff dungeons, and it has one of the more underdeveloped stories of the series as well. Breath of the Wild is so driven by its core gameplay, which is by and large excellent, that it's narrative and structure almost feels like an afterthought. It's like Nintendo sat down to make a Zelda game, then decided they wanted to make their own take on an open world game, and that changed their focus to the extent that the Zelda aspect became less of the driving force behind the game and instead their development of the genre became the priority.

It's still incredible, but it's within grasp of being a perfect Zelda title, but stumbles on the those key things that make Zelda Zelda, for me. Whereas Ocarina is still like, the purest essence of Zelda refined and distilled to the highest degree.

I'm really liking the story. It has shades of Avatar, and has some excellent characters. Apart from Skyward Sword, Zelda never really had particularly great stories imo.

I'm just worried about what the rest of the dungeons are going to be like. I did the elephant one and it was really fun, some really inventive puzzles. If there other 3 are up to this level, I'm not even mad about the lack of temples.

Far Cry 5 is incredibly good fun. They've taken out the outpost feature and integrated it more into the game and it just works better. 

It's still Far Cry but the storyline and progression seems to keep me going. 

• Like 1

Â