VTAB: The Villa Talk Advice Bureau

Eames

Accontancy, tax, football statistics, indie music, real ale.

You probably wouldn't want to sit next to me at a dinner party.

At the weekend, a birthday party in the meet and greets with random people generally ran thus

them: ah so what do you do?

me: im doing a masters in european studies, mostly with a historical tilt

them: oh interesting! any area in particular?

me: yes I'm focussing on survivor holocaust testimony.

them: ... oh. So that's..

me: the horrors of torture, death and the total degradation of the human essence as the ultimate means and end of totalitarianism, and a world where tales of cannibalism are spoken of with an unsettlingly surreal detached fashion, and the split necessity and impossibility of communicating this experience

them: oh wow, yeah, that's erm, wow... I'm just going to meet some other people now... you know, go get a drink... maybe see you later...

me:

okay-face.jpg

Is this not an extension of the ask BOF anything thread?

I didn't know we had a welfare overpayment benefits person on VT Eames. Someone was bemoaning to me yesterday that everytime she gets tax

credits they then say a few months later that she's been overpaid & they need to claim it all back. The tax credits sytem really is a farce!

I do Financial services like a few others on VT plus debts, tax, trust & estate work & sorting out care fees etc.

Furniture, rollercoasters and cunnilingus.
can you do all 3 in one go?
No that's him asking advice on them :) He can't do any of them.

I've got a chaise longue, Nemesis Inferno photograph and a missus that says otherwise.

The only practical things I've managed to give advice on here seem to be (a) running and (B) the use of English.

I know shitloads of trivia and OldBlokeStuff, but that's not advice material really.

YES FINALLY something I can genuinely contribute to, if the need arises. Time to pull out the ol' serious hat

*ahem*

My area of expertise are welfare benefits, specifically overpayments thereof. So if anyone ever has one, or knows someone who has one, I'm yer man. The real proper CAB can offer advice in these respects too, but given my deep seated hatred for them, I wouldnt advise it. I am much nicer right :)

Over payment thereof and the extraction of said overpayment from the poor unfortunates.....?

Oh yes. Used to just be for those on benefit, ie. we'd recoup all owed monies via deductions from what ever benefits the individual would have in pay. Now though I do both on and off benefit, so for those we can't take what ever we want UGH SORRY what the debtor can afford from benefits, we send charlie and boys round with a baseball bat. Or something.

It used to surprise me how often people would mention to me things that I could relate to the work I do, that being overpaid benefits, and benefits in general - it was a genuine shock to discover that the knowledge I have and take completely for granted, that I consider to be 'just work', can sometimes actually be really useful.

YES FINALLY something I can genuinely contribute to, if the need arises. Time to pull out the ol' serious hat

*ahem*

My area of expertise are welfare benefits, specifically overpayments thereof. So if anyone ever has one, or knows someone who has one, I'm yer man. The real proper CAB can offer advice in these respects too, but given my deep seated hatred for them, I wouldnt advise it. I am much nicer right :)

Over payment thereof and the extraction of said overpayment from the poor unfortunates.....?

Oh yes. Used to just be for those on benefit, ie. we'd recoup all owed monies via deductions from what ever benefits the individual would have in pay. Now though I do both on and off benefit, so for those we can't take what ever we want UGH SORRY what the debtor can afford from benefits, we send charlie and boys round with a baseball bat. Or something.

It used to surprise me how often people would mention to me things that I could relate to the work I do, that being overpaid benefits, and benefits in general - it was a genuine shock to discover that the knowledge I have and take completely for granted, that I consider to be 'just work', can sometimes actually be really useful.

Ha ha! Excellent.

I quite often end up in court with the DWP prosecutors.... its ace watching the scumbags wander in and try to explain their £100ks worth of benefit fraud. :D

Furniture, rollercoasters and cunnilingus.
can you do all 3 in one go?
No that's him asking advice on them :) He can't do any of them.

I've got a chaise longue, Nemesis Inferno photograph and a missus that says otherwise.

Pity you were sitting on the photograph, riding your missus and eating out the chaise longue

It's a shame we only take the larger amounts of overpayments all the way to court. I see very very few debtors who have been prosecuted, unfortunately. Compensation orders are also far more rare than they should be. Problem being our fraud investigators know damn well if any overpayment is below £10k it probably won't be taken up by our solicitors, so if the debtor never accepts that the money was gained by fraudulent means we have treat the barrrrstuds exactly the same as the ones that are genuine mistakes. Unless we have evidence, like those ones you see on the news where "Mr. Unable to walk more than 2 feet without aid" is filmed being the lineo at the his local sunday league match :lol: They're few and far between too though :(

It's a shame we only take the larger amounts of overpayments all the way to court. I see very very few debtors who have been prosecuted, unfortunately. Compensation orders are also far more rare than they should be. Problem being our fraud investigators know damn well if any overpayment is below £10k it probably won't be taken up by our solicitors, so if the debtor never accepts that the money was gained by fraudulent means we have treat the barrrrstuds exactly the same as the ones that are genuine mistakes. Unless we have evidence, like those ones you see on the news where "Mr. Unable to walk more than 2 feet without aid" is filmed being the lineo at the his local sunday league match :lol: They're few and far between too though :(

Those ones are my favourites, its amazing how many limps start as they enter the court room.... :D One bloke got his sentence and tried to plead poverty to keep his deductions low, the Clerk asked him of his NI number and he took the keys to his Aston Martin out of his pocket and put them on the desk. clearing in the woods. :lol:

asked him of his NI number and he took the keys to his Aston Martin out of his pocket and put them on the desk.

That's a little hard to believe if I'm honest.

Â