Jump to content

Chelsea


maqroll
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Only one clown at Villa didnt rate him but preferred Curtis Davies and Zat Knight, Interestingly Davies and Cahill are the same age and the career progression of both makes O'Neill look like a bigger clown

from our academy I would say he is easily the most decorated player ever  

I've got to disagree with this mate. Yes he has gone on to become a much better defender than both Knight and Davies, but he wasn't better than either when we sold him and he wasn't prepared to bide his time. 

I also can't remember to many being particularly outraged at his sale. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, av1 said:

I've got to disagree with this mate. Yes he has gone on to become a much better defender than both Knight and Davies, but he wasn't better than either when we sold him and he wasn't prepared to bide his time. 

I also can't remember to many being particularly outraged at his sale. 

I can remember I was.

I think we could have done worse than keep Davies at the club but it became more and more obvious that at this point in his career he needed his hand holding pretty much through the entire 90 minutes, and hadn't grew up yet. He has had a decent career. 

Zat Knight wasn't as bad as we expected but it was only a matter of time ge reverted to being shit, as the previous 10 years of his career showed us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, av1 said:

I've got to disagree with this mate. Yes he has gone on to become a much better defender than both Knight and Davies, but he wasn't better than either when we sold him and he wasn't prepared to bide his time. 

I also can't remember to many being particularly outraged at his sale. 

I've never like the idea of us raising players and then letting them go and they go on to have a good career elsewhere. It remains Oneills's biggest mistake at Villa and I bet he would never admit it. Ok he would have left us to sign for Chelsea anyway. Just could have avoided the Bolton step and got a lot more money for him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
21 hours ago, av1 said:

I've got to disagree with this mate. Yes he has gone on to become a much better defender than both Knight and Davies, but he wasn't better than either when we sold him and he wasn't prepared to bide his time. 

I also can't remember to many being particularly outraged at his sale. 

He was better than Knight, but Knight had just been brought in as cover for the then-crocked Laursen.  Laursen came back unexpectedly, meaning O'Neill had too many defenders and either had to swallow his pride and put his brand new signing immediately into the wilderness, or accept £5m from Bolton for what was then a youth player albeit a highly promising one. 

There were plenty of people pissed off at the time, selling what we knew was already a very good defender.

It was seen as O'Neill's legendary ego getting in the way, and so it proved.  That's not hindsight.  A huge amount of people said it at the time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember at the time there were the 606 message boards on the BBC website, which basically had a different message board for every league club where you could go and have a chat with their fans.

The Burnley board were adament pretty much to a man that Cahill would play for England and that he was the best defender they had ever seen. I shall never forget that, they called it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I remember at the time there were the 606 message boards on the BBC website, which basically had a different message board for every league club where you could go and have a chat with their fans.

The Burnley board were adament pretty much to a man that Cahill would play for England and that he was the best defender they had ever seen. I shall never forget that, they called it.

The Bolton one was probably something similar :trollface:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, BOF said:

The Bolton one was probably something similar :trollface:

No, this was when he was on loan at Burnley, so maybe a 20 year old playing Division One football ( or whatever it was at the time)

They said he was lightyears ahead of any striker in the league.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
Just now, rodders0223 said:

No, this was when he was on loan at Burnley, so maybe a 20 year old playing Division One football ( or whatever it was at the time)

They said he was lightyears ahead of any striker in the league.

Ahh, sorry, OK :thumb: I was remembering when he did go to Bolton and their fans couldn't quite believe WTAF we agreed to sell him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BOF said:

He was better than Knight, but Knight had just been brought in as cover for the then-crocked Laursen.  Laursen came back unexpectedly, meaning O'Neill had too many defenders and either had to swallow his pride and put his brand new signing immediately into the wilderness, or accept £5m from Bolton for what was then a youth player albeit a highly promising one. 

There were plenty of people pissed off at the time, selling what we knew was already a very good defender.

It was seen as O'Neill's legendary ego getting in the way, and so it proved.  That's not hindsight.  A huge amount of people said it at the time.

Yes and wasn't just Cahill. Davis who has gone on to be a very good player for many years and to lesser extent Whittingham. Three home grown players that he should never have let go. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mixed bag for Terry so far in his farewell performance at Stamford Bridge.

Scoring a goal and causing a goal in the space of 2 minutes.

Edited by sne
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter

Arsenal or City is absurd (although weirdly I think Wenger signing him would be the kind of bat shit crazy thing he would do these days)

But I think he's definitely got a season or two left in him at this level, just the lower end of the table. 

A bottom half club would snap him up.

And as much of a word removed as he is, I don't think he's the kind of guy to drop down a level fro big bucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Arsenal or City is absurd (although weirdly I think Wenger signing him would be the kind of bat shit crazy thing he would do these days)

But I think he's definitely got a season or two left in him at this level, just the lower end of the table. 

A bottom half club would snap him up.

And as much of a word removed as he is, I don't think he's the kind of guy to drop down a level fro big bucks.

He just looks like Rio towards the end to me. A fraction off the pace in everything he does and always has a clanger in him now. It is those absolute fine margins that drop you off significantly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

He just looks like Rio towards the end to me. A fraction off the pace in everything he does and always has a clanger in him now. It is those absolute fine margins that drop you off significantly.

Oh I don't disagree that he's dropped off significantly. 

But there's a big difference between being centreback for the Premier League Champions and being centreback for newly promoted Reading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 hours ago, BOF said:

Ahh, sorry, OK :thumb: I was remembering when he did go to Bolton and their fans couldn't quite believe WTAF we agreed to sell him. 

I couldn't believe it either. Another one of Martin O'Neill's brilliant moves, signed ZAt Knight to play ahead of him as far I as I remember.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...
Â