coda

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

You really think so? He's good, I agree, but think in a different era (like 10 years or so previous), he would have barely got a sniff at the English centre back berths. 

Can't really think of too many better English CB's than him in 'recent' times.

Terry, Rio, Sol Campbell... who else?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on the level of Terry or Rio but as good as any other in the last 30 years and he has won the champions league and several Premier League titles so yes he's up there. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Last 10 yrs he's up there but 30 no chance. 30 yrs ago you had the likes of pallister, Bruce, Keown, Adams, Ferdinand, Woodgate, Terry, Carragher, King, Campbell, Southgate (plus many more I can't think of) either  playing, or just breaking through 

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Last 10 yrs he's up there but 30 no chance. 30 yrs ago you had the likes of pallister, Bruce, Keown, Adams, Ferdinand, Woodgate, Terry, Carragher, King, Campbell, Southgate (plus many more I can't think of) either  playing, or just breaking through 

Not having Woodgate, the rest I'm with you on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

King, Woodgate and Carragher IMO.

Of course 2 of those suffered with injuries. 

23 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Butcher, Mark Wright and Des Walker as well 

Ugo Ehiogu (RIP) was very unlucky to be around at the time of a lot of those mentioned.

Cahill is decent, no doubt, but has benefitted from no real competition. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Xela said:

You really think so? He's good, I agree, but think in a different era (like 10 years or so previous), he would have barely got a sniff at the English centre back berths. 

I think the reason Cahill scored so high in the mathematical model was not entirely to do with his defensive performance and the fact that he scored eight crucial goals added to his defensive contribution gave him the highest overall score. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Not having Woodgate, the rest I'm with you on.

Woodgate was a tremendous footballer. Let's not forget he got signed by Real Madrid. He was just unfortunate with injuries, that he couldn't sustain his early performances. He lost all is pace and a lot of his confidence on the ball.

26 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I think the reason Cahill scored so high in the mathematical model was not entirely to do with his defensive performance and the fact that he scored eight crucial goals added to his defensive contribution gave him the highest overall score. 

Pretty much, little more than a solid defender, the one area he excels in is the oppositions box (for a centre half of course).

21 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Woodgate was a tremendous footballer. Let's not forget he got signed by Real Madrid. He was just unfortunate with injuries, that he couldn't sustain his early performances. He lost all is pace and a lot of his confidence on the ball.

Real Madrid also signed Thomas Graveson 6 months later :D 

I thought Cahill was a weak link for Chelsea a few years back and wonder if the club level he was at was a little beyond him but he's been very good last two years.

I think in his early days he was superbly protected by Terry covering time and again (if you could isolate Cahill 1 v 1 you'd get a lot of joy as Benteke showed a few years back at VP) but in fairness he's now taken on that role of leader and matured a lot as a CB.

Think he's been mediocre for England though. Little errors in tournaments here and there like letting Balotelli peel off him and score off the back post in the Italy game at the world cup. 

As predicted forged a very good career since he left us but not at the level of a Rio, Terry or Campbell for me.I was going to say needs a CL but he's sort of won that aswell!

I think we look back with rose tinted glasses at some of the players from the past. Des Walker I remember making horrific errors which cost England a world cup spot., Mark wright was ok in a back three and was a good footballer but not a great defender. woodgate has had injuries but Cahill has had a better career than him. Bruce was a stopper but never had an international career. 

I think Cahill is looked more underrated by Villa fans among others, He is a very good defender and has shown it at every level I have seen him. Only one clown at Villa didnt rate him but preferred Curtis Davies and Zat Knight, Interestingly Davies and Cahill are the same age and the career progression of both makes O'Neill look like a bigger clown

from our academy I would say he is easily the most decorated player ever  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think we look back with rose tinted glasses at some of the players from the past. Des Walker I remember making horrific errors which cost England a world cup spot., Mark wright was ok in a back three and was a good footballer but not a great defender. woodgate has had injuries but Cahill has had a better career than him. Bruce was a stopper but never had an international career. 

In fairness, that was bad management on Taylor's behalf, Walker was absolutely shot to shit due to injuries from around 91/92 on wards, should never have been in the squad let alone starting. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

In fairness, that was bad management on Taylor's behalf, Walker was absolutely shot to shit due to injuries from around 91/92 on wards, should never have been in the squad let alone starting. 

fair enough your memory is better than mine. "You'll never beat Des Walker". 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Yes he was very quick and once he lost his pace he was half the player

Formed a good partnership with Chettle, with Laws and Pearce the full backs. Sutton in goal (then Crossley)

I don't know what is says about me in that I remember the Forest defence of 1989 just like that yet I would struggle to name three players in the Hull or Bournemouth team today!

Â