coda

I think theres enough scope there to win at home, cannot understand the obsession with Luiz, the kid was playing RB mostly for his previous club but despite catastrophic errors and basic poor positioning he still plays. Its like Chelsea's version of why do Dunne and Collins always play despite being shite.

I couldn't understand how they let Alex go to PSG while Luiz was/is in such poor form.

I know AVB is trying to get away from the old established Chelsea way but he isn't helping himself now. But then again I'm not sure it's enough for Lampard to be carried through games just for the odd goal and Drogba is certainly a fading light.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of Cahill, I think he's the type of centre-back that the English press quickly fall in love with and just as quickly fall out of love with (I seem to remember Titus Bramble receiving gushing praise from Hansen when he broke onto the scene). He is unlike the stereotypical hoofer that we are prone to produce and thus is considered something of a glamourous defender in the English game. He's good on the ball but I've always questioned his ability to out-and-out defend, a doubt that hasn't been tempered by his time at Bolton and part responsibility in a very leaky defence. His performances will inevitably come under much closer scrutiny now that he's at Chelsea and I think you'll find the defensive side of his game being slowly pulled apart much in the same way David Luiz's has been.

Not sure what AVB hope to achieve by playing a back 4 the contains Cahill, Luiz and Boswingwa. The presence of any one of those is enough to undermine a solid defense, but to play all 3 is suicide.

AVB's days are surely numbered.

What comes around goes around.

Sacking a manager who won you the league and FA cup double in his first season was probably the worst decision Abramovich or any other chairman has made. He also played attractive football too, I think they scored 104 league goals that season, beating a certain side from Aston 7-1 along the way.

I think inside Abramovich is regretting that decision from a financial and footballing point of view. He wont admit it of course.

Fair enough, BOF, perhaps I was too quick to judge him. Guess we will see in two and a half hours.
I just read my post back and it sounded more aggressive than I had intended it to be, so sorry for that. Rather than as a director response to what you had posted, mine was more a general point about Cahill not having really messed up yet in a Chelsea shirt. I say general because yours isn't the first opinion I have heard about him not being good enough. Last night for example, I thought of the 4 of them (5 if you count Bosingwa), he was probably the best of them. Certainly better than David Lulz in the centre.

Last night for example, I thought of the 4 of them (5 if you count Bosingwa), he was probably the best of them. Certainly better than David Lulz in the centre.

thats like being the best Aston Villa defender ;), Cech bailed them out a few times early on and could/should have been worse

Doesn't make my point wrong though. In an argument about being good enough for Chelsea, being the best Chelsea defender on the night is a fairly good start.

What comes around goes around.

Sacking a manager who won you the league and FA cup double in his first season was probably the worst decision Abramovich or any other chairman has made. He also played attractive football too, I think they scored 104 league goals that season, beating a certain side from Aston 7-1 along the way.

I think inside Abramovich is regretting that decision from a financial and footballing point of view. He wont admit it of course.

Agreed. IMO Ancelotti is one of the best managers in the world. To sack him for AVB was absolute nonsense.

yeah cahill made a huge mistake at the start playing cavani onside and IMO committed the ultimate sin, he stopped playing and stood there shouting at the lino while cech made a good save with his foot and cavani had time and space to bring down the deflection and put it back in to the middle and another team mate bailed him out

He did make that mistake. Luiz did the same for Lavezzi's second and the 2 fullbacks were missing for most of the night. We are commenting on a 3-1 loss remember. But at some point you need your teammates to stop making mistakes. Cech was on a hiding to nothing last night. His defence was pulled all over the place.

I still think AVB is a fantastic manager and would kill to have him here.

The only thing he is doing wrong is what Houllier did here, which is to try and implement a different style of football far too quickly using players too used to playing a certain way instead of gradually getting the players he wants in and slowly changing the way the team plays.

This gets the current players backs up and they start to show their unhappiness in a non obvious way - i.e. play poorly and by dissenting in a passive way as to not draw blame onto themselves but rather show the manager to be falsely incompetant.

This has a knock on affect on the managers confidence (factored in with media hysterics and the board 'seemingly' bearing down on you), you naturally start to doubt yourself and wrong decisions are made.

AVB needs to be guaranteed a few years (its not as if they are going to get relegated) to get the players he wants, get rid of the overhill washed up old guys, get rid of any troublemakers and start his own legacy.

He could be the next fergie if given time. Unfortunately for AVB, the nature of the modern game doesnt allow for that time and thus will probably destroy one of the most talented managers that could have been.

Shame.

• 2 weeks later...

Di Matteo until the end of the season.

Chelsea to still finish outside top 4 please. The egos of Terry and Lampard need to piss off before they get back to where they were. And not buying so much bleh for overprice money.

I think Chelsea could see themselves struggling to be challenging for the title for a few years.

Â