coda

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think he was foolish for taking a job as big as Chelsea so early.

Loads of people are saying that now but when Chelsea initially hired him most said it was a very good appointment. What he did with Porto was pretty special but I think his lack of success with Chelsea has more to do with that the spine of the team is getting on and the squad does need a revamp.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I thought it was a good hire tbh. Though I do remember that anyone who did have misgivings (most prominent of which was probably Ray Wilkins) based them around his age & inexperience of players of that status and a club of that size.

Though I agree with bose that while the age/experience might have had something to do with it in hindsight, it was kind of a perfect storm for him with the squad ageing the way it is. Though that would hardly have been a surprise. Everyone could see what was and is happening to Chelski. I'd say even Roman knows there's a serious investment required just around the corner.

They've also signed a lot of crap over the years - Mikel, Kalou, Ramires, Luiz, and now the over-rated Cahill

It's not just about clearing out the old egos but also recognising that the above players are not CL quality

And then there was his volley against Man Ure. Isolated incidents can be read too much into. Overall, as we've discussed above, he (like AVB) has gone into a difficult Chelsea side and adapted quickly. Not only to the English game but to what I imagine is a tricky Chelsea dressing room. He has all the technique in the world and has shown me what he's capable of.

Meireles is another shocking signing for them

Utter gash player

He was terrific for Liverpool in the second half of last season.

Not gash, just being used in the wrong way. He's not a natural holding midfielder (the way Chelsea are using him right now), I think his best position is in the Lampard role and being given the freedom to make late runs into the box to score and cause problems.

I'd say even Roman knows there's a serious investment required just around the corner.

he tried for Kaka and Ribéry in the summer

but not sure if he is going back for them or not .. Ribéry seems to be a personal crusade of his , been pursuing him for a couple of years now ...

AVB on thin ice in my opinion he looked scared/shocked at the end when the boo's went around the stadium.. Napoli is a huge game (even bigger than before)

For what it's worth I'd still have him here..

Really?

If failure to organise your team to win premier league and cup matches with increasing regularity, inability to work with experienced players, and utter failure to organise an effective defence are qualifications for the Villa post, I guess he's a shoe-in.

He reminds me a bit of Houllier.

When you have bad eggs in your squad the club will never forward.

Just like Houllier had.

I'm even having my doubts about Mata

LOL what?!?!?! 28 appearances, 10 assists and 8 goals in all comp for Chelsea..

He is quality and always has been even since his youth days at Castilla.. I'm actually happy for him but also quite sad as I'd loved it if he stayed at Madrid but for whatever reason it just never worked out.

I'm happy for him that he is at Chelsea.

Â