coda

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Forbes.com - I have pasted a couple of paragraphs taken from the article in the link that could cause Chelsea problems, and worry the fans in the upcoming weeks. I can't see that happening though, I am not sure what would be gained by doing that.

Chelsea owe $2bn to Abramovic

As pressure mounts to punish oligarchs for Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, Roman Abramovich has a multibillion-dollar insurance policy should the U.K. come after his assets: his beloved Chelsea FC.

The club Abramovich bought for around $190 million in 2003, loved, nurtured and built into the 2021 UEFA Champions League winner was valued by Forbes at $3.2 billion last year. It owes the Russian billionaire, its majority owner, a staggering $2 billion. 

Kieran Maguire, a soccer-finance lecturer at the University of Liverpool, says it gives Abramovich no shortage of leverage in the U.K., depending on how deep sanctions might go. The worst-case scenario for Chelsea fans is now on the table. “If he wants to get his own back, he could call in the loan from Chelsea,” Maguire says. “That means Chelsea goes out of business, and Putin will be able to say, ‘Well, you started it.’”

Maguire describes the loans as leverage against any significant attack on his assets. “The club does not have the resources to pay the money back,” Maguire says. “If Chelsea was sold, ultimately you sell for enterprise value. Whether this money goes in the form of equity or debt is irrelevant. But the club, potentially, could be on the hook here because he could demand the money back.” Maguire says Abramovich could effectively argue that his assets are frozen, he needs the money, “and then the club ceases to be.”

6 hours ago, NeilS said:

From Forbes.com - I have pasted a couple of paragraphs taken from the article in the link that could cause Chelsea problems, and worry the fans in the upcoming weeks. I can't see that happening though, I am not sure what would be gained by doing that.

Chelsea owe $2bn to Abramovic

As pressure mounts to punish oligarchs for Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, Roman Abramovich has a multibillion-dollar insurance policy should the U.K. come after his assets: his beloved Chelsea FC.

The club Abramovich bought for around $190 million in 2003, loved, nurtured and built into the 2021 UEFA Champions League winner was valued by Forbes at $3.2 billion last year. It owes the Russian billionaire, its majority owner, a staggering $2 billion. 

Kieran Maguire, a soccer-finance lecturer at the University of Liverpool, says it gives Abramovich no shortage of leverage in the U.K., depending on how deep sanctions might go. The worst-case scenario for Chelsea fans is now on the table. “If he wants to get his own back, he could call in the loan from Chelsea,” Maguire says. “That means Chelsea goes out of business, and Putin will be able to say, ‘Well, you started it.’”

Maguire describes the loans as leverage against any significant attack on his assets. “The club does not have the resources to pay the money back,” Maguire says. “If Chelsea was sold, ultimately you sell for enterprise value. Whether this money goes in the form of equity or debt is irrelevant. But the club, potentially, could be on the hook here because he could demand the money back.” Maguire says Abramovich could effectively argue that his assets are frozen, he needs the money, “and then the club ceases to be.”

If his assets are frozen of which one would be Chelsea and the loan to Chelsea, he would have no ability to ask for the money back until unfrozen surely?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If his assets are frozen of which one would be Chelsea and the loan to Chelsea, he would have no ability to ask for the money back until unfrozen surely?

That’s how I see it. 

and he’s also barred from entering the UK as part of the sanctions 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah, it doesn’t make sense to me either. Unless he means RA is purposely going to throw away his money by crashing Chelsea into a liquidation situation, which could have knock on effects with whoever else is owed money/transfer fees by Chelsea.This guy Kieran Maguire is supposedly an expert in that field though, well his name seems to crop up regularly in these football finance stories.

Edited by NeilS

7 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Yeah, it doesn’t make sense to me either. Unless he means RA is purposely going to throw away his money by crashing Chelsea into a liquidation situation, which could have knock on effects with whoever else is owed money/transfer fees by Chelsea.This guy Kieran Maguire is supposedly an expert in that field though, well his name seems to crop up regularly in these football finance stories.

Maybe but my understanding is that RA can do nothing at the moment, he has the ability to do nothing.  When his assets are frozen, it’s essentially temporarily taken away from him so he couldn’t crash Chelsea into anything.  He currently has as much legal power over Chelsea and the loan to Chelsea as you and I, which is none.  Obviously Kieran may know a lot more than we do so I’ll defer to his words but when your assets are frozen, you can’t do a damn thing.

edit: just checked his (Kieran) academic qualifications and career…very impressive.

Edited by nick76

22 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It's not **** difficult - rob RA of his Uk investments and **** russia

It is though. The UK is basically a money laundering facility for russian oligarchs. Look at the volume of wealth they bring to london. It's the same reason nobody really cares about ukraine, they don't have any money. Dont piss off rich people because they will just move their money somewhere else. Dubai or rio or Beijing will take that money quick fast. 

Edited by villa89

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Chelsea are prepared for this. Made so much profit on average players and won 2 Champions Leagues

You'd think so, but they're not - they're a much bigger company than when Abramovich took over, they have a much higher top line - but ultimately it sits in a huge pile debt made up of Abramovich's money - and he hasn't given that money to Chelsea, he's loaned it to them. The loan debt is enormous.

It's another of those ways in which our owners are superb, all of the money they've put in has been through share issues - it's money that made the company of Aston Villa bigger - if they left, they'd look to make money on their selling price, but we wouldn't owe them a penny.

Chelsea on the other hand would have a selling price that wouldn't be a realistic option for potential owners - if the club is worth £800m - you'd need to pay that, and the £1.7bn they owe Roman. No one would want to pay £2.5bn for an asset worth a third of that, so they'd have to look to sell assets or borrow - it makes the club almost unsellable and is something of a ticking time bomb for them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

he hasn't given that money to Chelsea, he's loaned it to them

It’s a mix. In the past he’s done the same as our owners - converting debt to equity. I think I read that when UEFA FFP came in, or around that time, he wrote off nearly all the debt the club owed him. Obviously since then he’s subsequently loaned them a load more, but I just thought I’d be pedantic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Chelsea are not self reliant. Their wage bill is ridiculous.  If the roman money runs out i think they could be in massive trouble.

They are making 100 million or so a season on player transfers like Tammy or Tomori. They dont pay wages as high as City and United do plus all that TV money

They will be fine whatever happens, they are pretty much the big team in London 

55 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They are making 100 million or so a season on player transfers like Tammy or Tomori. They dont pay wages as high as City and United do plus all that TV money

They will be fine whatever happens, they are pretty much the big team in London 

I think Tottenham(unbelievably) and Arsenal both have much bigger fan bases,Chelsea have to advertise on the radio to sell tickets for European games.

They are able to sustain losses of up to £100 million only due to RA.They do have a fantastic academy and are making big profits from loans and sales of young players which keeps them inside limits of FFP.

Their financial model is totally dependent on RA’s bankrolling.

You would think they will have to sanction RA and this will be the end of them being a top 4 club.You could see them being another Leeds circa 2005.

Edited by Only2McInallys
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

I think Tottenham(unbelievably) and Arsenal both have much bigger fan bases.

They are able to sustain losses of up to £100 million only due to RA.They do have a fantastic academy and are making big profits from loans and sales of young players which keeps them inside limits of FFP.

Their financial model is totally dependent on RA’s bankrolling.

You would think they will have to sanction RA and this will be the end of them being a top 4 club.You could see them being another Leeds circa 2005.

I agree its got to have a massive impact on them and Arsenal and Spurs have always been bigger clubs. 

Â