coda

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked like the plan was (a) let’s farm Lampard out to a championship club to learn his trade as manager, (b) once he’s proved himself (c) let’s appoint him as Chelsea manager.

So (b) never really happened in my view - he wasn’t much cop at Derby - and therefore (c) was probably a mistake. 

Just hope for his sake he didn’t let  loyalty to the club stop him negotiating a cast iron contract that rewarded him well when the inevitable Chelsea sacking came.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Why not? He’s a quality striker.

we have Watkins and soon Wesley again, if we are to buy another striker i would propose that we need to be buying a striker a level or two above what Abraham is, imo buying Abraham isnt really a step above Watkins, and tbh i prefer Watkins.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we have Watkins and soon Wesley again, if we are to buy another striker i would propose that we need to be buying a striker a level or two above what Abraham is, imo buying Abraham isnt really a step above Watkins, and tbh i prefer Watkins.

I’d look at offloading Wesley if/when fit. Then we need at least 1 other striking option. Tammy would be perfect (imo).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I’d look at offloading Wesley if/when fit. Then we need at least 1 other striking option. Tammy would be perfect (imo).

so you would splurge 30-40m on Tammy rather than look for a better striker?

Yes he's a good striker, but i personally think we get too caught up on what he did in the Champ for us, i think for 30-40m there are numerous better strikers out there.

• Like 1

I think it's shit that they sack Lampard on today, and are already quite close to appointing Tuchel. They will have clearly been in contact with Tuchel last week, especially as they also allegedly asked Ralf Ragnick if he would take it on a temporary basis.

Saying that, I imagine Frank will be getting a decent pay off.

Wonder if Newcastle fans are thinking that he could do a job for them instead of Bruce.

Just now, villalad21 said:

I don't want players back who has previously rejected us

No thanks to Tammy. Watkins miles better anyways

and if Watkins gets injured? Or a ban? 
We need to urgently address the lack of striking options. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I don't want players back who has previously rejected us

No thanks to Tammy. Watkins miles better anyways

Tammy never actually rejected us as such did he? He was always a Chelsea player, and he chose to stay with us when he could have moved everywhere during the Jan window, then he stayed at the team he had grown up at and tried to make his mark.  

I would certainly consider Tammy as an option to rotate with Ollie. Ollie cannot play every game. In a toss-up between Tammy and Wesley, I would go for Tammy, dependant upon price.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

and if Watkins gets injured? Or a ban? 
We need to urgently address the lack of striking options. 

1 Yellow card so far.

No past injury record.

Played 46 games + cup + and a play off final last season.

He is used to playing every game. Extremely fit young lad. I wouldn't be too concerned buddy. Watkins will play every game this season.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I guess that means he'll never get injured during the rest of his career then.

Didn't say that.

But the propability is very small.

Usually players who get injured a lot is no fluke. Owen mentioned his dad and brothers also sharing muscle injuries, the same once he picked up. Often times it's genetic.

Of course you could get unlucky and get the Wesley injury but again. Highly unlikely as those are super rare occurances.

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

And when Benn Mee takes him out..?

I love Ollie but we need options.

We already have options. Davis and Traore can both play there. Soon we have even more options with Wesley returning.

So your suggestion is to spend big money on a guy because Watkins may get a Ben Mee injury? I think you are blinded with nostalgia and romance. Like we've seen in the Benteke thread.

The striker situation is fine. Smith won't be losing any sleep over it. You shouldn't either.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

We already have options. Davis and Traore can both play there. Soon we have even more options with Wesley returning.

Wesley will not be playing anytime soon, and we don't know if he will be the same player. Davis as our main backup? really?

Traore is not a striker. He may have played some games in the strikers position, but that does not make him a striker. 

One bad tackle on Ollie and we are stuffed. 

If Tammy were available, I would certainly want the club to consider it. If not, I would be hoping that they will be looking at another striker this window anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

Wesley will not be playing anytime soon, and we don't know if he will be the same player. Davis as our main backup? really?

Traore is not a striker. He may have played some games in the strikers position, but that does not make him a striker. 

One bad tackle on Ollie and we are stuffed. 

If Tammy were available, I would certainly want the club to consider it. If not, I would be hoping that they will be looking at another striker this window anyway.

Abraham is a 30-40 million signing.

You don't spend that type of money because Watkins may pick up an injury. Pretty sure Tammy wouldn't accept playing second string either.

This signing simply will not happen. Nor should it.

Â