coda

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think Lampard was that impressive at Derby so can see his faults coming along, its not all on him but he has been exposed. The only big name I could see Chelsea going for is Allegri but his football wont be up to Roman love of attacking football.

If they do sack Lampard now they will probably bring Hiddink in until the end of the season

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I wonder if they’d go for the now available Thomas Tuchel

He is a problem for the board, they would be very reluctant I would imagine as he seems to have trouble at every club with authority.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Absolute basket case of a club.

They make a sensible move an appoint Lampard given their transfer ban and his knowledge of and eagerness to work with their young players and he does a decent job in his first season. 

They then go on a mad trolley dash around Europe picking up a bunch of admittedly very good players individually who they then throw at Lampard and expect him to craft a balanced side.

It is debatable how much Lampard was responsible for the players purchased and he certainly has absolutely no experience of trying to build a side in such circumstances.

Whatever Lampard’s shortcomings tactically they’ve still given him a £200m hospital ball.

If they wanted to go money bags rather than money ball then they needed the appropriate manager to try and craft a team in those circumstances, someone like Ancelotti but they’ve burnt through most of those guys over the last few years.

Absolute madness.

Excellent post, and I completely agree.

I would recommend people listen to Lampard's post-match interview:

He keeps talking about - and there's about around 1:10 that is just this - about 'the rebuild' and 'the youth', and I can't help thinking that's what they were interested in in September 2019. His problem is they got bored of that and then turned on the financial firehose. Hard to believe that the board still see his remit as a multi-year project to rebuild the squad with a focus on youth.

Lampard isn't a great manager, but he might have been able to do something at a Chelsea side having to rely on much more limited resources - a manager and team learning and being moulded by each other. He's not respected enough or canny enough to deal with a team of supposed superstars, especially one that basically got chucked together at short notice for silly money. For that you need the old head, someone who has earned his stripes at the highest level somewhere and commands respect with their reputation.

Lampard has been thrown under a £200m bus that was meant to easily carry Chelsea back to the promised land. Instead it's doing a Brian Harvey on him.

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

They make a sensible move an appoint Lampard given their transfer ban and his knowledge of and eagerness to work with their young players and he does a decent job in his first season. 

They then go on a mad trolley dash around Europe picking up a bunch of admittedly very good players individually who they then throw at Lampard and expect him to craft a balanced side.

It is debatable how much Lampard was responsible for the players purchased and he certainly has absolutely no experience of trying to build a side in such circumstances.

Whatever Lampard’s shortcomings tactically they’ve still given him a £200m hospital ball.

If they wanted to go money bags rather than money ball then they needed the appropriate manager to try and craft a team in those circumstances, someone like Ancelotti but they’ve burnt through most of those guys over the last few years.

Absolute madness.

They seem to be finding their appropriate level as a club again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Frank is about to be sacked according to Sky.

Must be nice to be told you are sacked via a news channel on Twitter rather than from your boss.... classy

Edited by TheStagMan

11 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Looks like Frank is about to be sacked according to Sky.

Must be nice to be told you are sacked via a news channel on Twitter rather than from your boss.... classy

They've probably already told him face to face!

Or the leak has come from Frank being invited to an "emergency meeting to discuss your future" today, Frank might have even leaked that himself, he'll have the contacts 

On 03/01/2021 at 21:00, TrentVilla said:

Absolute madness.

Totally agree with this. For all his (not insignificant) limitations as a manager, he's been lumped with a bunch of big-time charlie marquee signings that likely weren't his and effectively told "Go and win the league now."

If that's not the worst possible strategy for success in 2021, I don't know what is. All current signs point to a patient approach - Liverpool built over several seasons with Klopp before clinching the title. United are unfortunately flying now after numerous opportunities to sack Solskjaer. Villa and Southampton have shown that having faith in your manager through tough times is a much wiser approach.

But Abramovich has always been the shadow manager at Chelsea, so there'll be more of the moneybags and puppet manager approach to come I'm sure.

• Like 1

Â