coda

1 hour ago, sne said:

Very true.

Actually didn't think that was going to happen anytime soon.

Guess it's a special situation with big name ex players having a short cut to jobs but still.

Someone made the point the other day Chris WIlder has something ridiculous like 5-6 promotions from same number of leagues and hardly any premier league club has considered him. Lampard has one decent ish season in championship and walks into Chelsea job.

Will be same for Gerrard and Liverpool you'd expect in 4-5 years time.

• Like 1

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I completely forgot he played for city. 

He actually got a standing ovation at the end of that game so those fans/banners were very much in the minority.

He scored the equaliser in the game at Etihad that season, think his relationship with Mourinho cooled after that game.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Someone made the point the other day Chris WIlder has something ridiculous like 5-6 promotions from same number of leagues and hardly any premier league club has considered him. Lampard has one decent ish season in championship and walks into Chelsea job.

Will be same for Gerrard and Liverpool you'd expect in 4-5 years time.

OGS would hardly be at Manure if it was based on his achievements as manager either

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wonder what it means for Abraham 

Giroud will be starting striker in the big games imo.

Abraham and Batsuhayi if he stays will start v weaker teams at home and away where Chelsea will dominate possession and crosses will fly into six yard box. We know how deadly he is in those type of scenarios.

Think problem for Tammy is when Chelsea go to Man. City and Arsenal and play on counter attack with 40% possesion. No Hazard anymore to hold onto the ball and start off those moves so you really need the ball to stick to the CF when it's hit up there and well Giroud is comfortably better in that regard.

Edited by VillaChris

1 minute ago, sne said:

OGS would hardly be at Manure if it was based on his achievements as manager either

It was more about English manager hardly even getting a call now from lower league prem clubs, you really have to promote one to get a chance as Wilder and DS have done.

Just now, VillaChris said:

It was more about English manager hardly even getting a call now from lower league prem clubs, you really have to promote one to get a chance as Wilder and DS have done.

No I agree.

But there absolutely is a short cut for ex players.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yep.

Then you've the likes of Klopp and Conte will multiple relegation between them and they're given an opportunity at the very top of their country. Just so much pressure in this league to take a "risk".

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yep.

Then you've the likes of Klopp and Conte will multiple relegation between them and they're given an opportunity at the very top of their country. Just so much pressure in this league to take a "risk".

Italian league is brilliant at giving their up and coming managers plenty of jobs to prove themselves. Sarri at Empoli did similar job to Eddie Howe at Bournmouth, there wasn't endless debate over whether he could step up, Napoli just gave him the job. Both Milan clubs given plenty of rookies chances in last 15 years (add in the odd old player likr Gattuso) and Roma had Di Francesco in charge last season after he did a very good job at Sassoulo.

• Like 1

Fully get why clubs look abroad for managers tbh.

We had the same issues with managers in Sweden where they have fallen behind the rest of the world by sticking to their ways and been a bit close minded to new ideas.

Might be a new generation of English managers coming through?

Actually forgot about Brighton poaching Graham Potter so it still happens (the Sweden line jogged my memory) although get the feeling Brighton high point has passed and this year will be massive struggle for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

No I agree.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Zidane had no business getting the Real Madrid job really. Sometimes ex players can bring something different to a proven manager I guess. They just "get" a club maybe?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

He is the only choice really, transfer ban in place, no chance of getting a good manager so let's go to our top goalscorer to manage us, Because you know when things go to shit the fans will still cheer on a club legend. 

A terrible appointment and one they've only done because of the ban they had. 

I hope they crash and burn

I bumped into my friend that works at Chelsea a few weeks back and she told me pretty much that the board don’t really want him but the fans love him and there weren’t really a lot of options open to them , she seemed quite embarrassed they were appointing him , not that her opinion matters on managerial appointments at Chelsea :)

also told me Eddie Newton got rejected for a US visa for Chelsea’s tour because he’s Muslim ... not really that exciting but he’s a first team coach there now and would have been monitoring Tammy very closely in his previous role 

7 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Not necessarily a bad thing. Zidane had no business getting the Real Madrid job really. Sometimes ex players can bring something different to a proven manager I guess. They just "get" a club maybe?

True, but Zidane was appointed mid season after they sacked Benitez I think it was.

And he was already working for the club since Mourinho's time, first around the senior team and then as Castilla manager.

Well never know but I suspect they might have looked elsewhere at other names had they sacked Benitez between seasons.

Lucky for then they did what they did.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sne said:

No I agree.

Yeah being an ex player who was fairly famous is similar to graduates in the real world it seems, going in to a business and then getting multiple promotions over people who have worked there for years.

• 2 weeks later...

100k/wk for Hudson-Odoi, a man with nothing done to date, and coming off an achilles injury that will most likely mean he is a different player after. Madness.

Probably should be in game's gone.

Â