• Petrov
    • Gardner
    • Bent
    • Heskey
    • Keane
    • N'Zogbia (for Heskey 69)
    • Ireland (for Albrighton 77)
    • Baker (for Dunne)

Pleasing to see Gardner starting and Warnock dropped. However, a lack of invention going forward is worrying but makes a little sense given the opposition and it could have been 1-1 for not Hart's save against Bent and Carlos missing a free header. Would people be more content if we went for the game and lost 5-0?

Another toothless and uninventive display and can only be laid at the feet of it's maker - the manager

McLeish chose a cautious, negative starting XI with the sole intention of grinding out a draw or snatching a win from a set play.

What was the point of playing both Bent and Keane when we had no creative output to put them in the game.

Dropping both Ireland and N'Zogbia (which reeks of grudge holding by AMc) and replacing them with Heskey and Albrighton (who had another shocker unfortunately) destroyed all of our potential attacking intent

Gutless and embarassing.

My ratings

Given: 7. Couldn't do anything about the goal - didn't do much else!

Hutton: 6. Better from Hutton but still risky positioning at the back

Dunne: 7. Gave it his all and unfortunately injured - hopefully not too badly

Collins: 5. Head like a 50p gave away cheap possession and set plays - at fault for the goal as he was marking the Klingon

Cuellar: 8. MOTM. Tremendous display from CC considering he's no fullback, let alone LB!

Petrov: 6. Not influential enough and couldn't help but pass backwards

Gardner: 6. Started brightly but game soon passed him by.

Heskey: 4. WOEFUL

Albrighton: 4. WOEFUL

Keane: 6. Anonymous and couldn't get into the game

Bent: 6. As per Keane, prevented from the scoresheet by a great reflex save

Subs:

N'Zogbia: 7. Shakes head as to why Heskey started ahead of him....

Ireland: 7. Too little too late to make a real impact but nice touches

Baker: N/A - not enough time to score performance

AMc - 4. Awful starting line-up (some point salvaged by Cuellars performance) and waited to concede before trying to attack.

We could seriously be relegated with this approach to matches.

Of course no one would have been happy with a 3-0 defeat. Maybe we were to defensive? Maybe?! No one is saying we should go gung-ho and all out attack against City but we should at least try to play a bit of football and muster the occasional attack.

I can not fathom why people, having watched us this season, will continue to defend McLeish.

I got offered a free ticket this morning but wasn't feeling too well and turned it down. After that display I obviously wasn't the only one who didn't turn up.

- ONCE AGAIN the best player on the pitch was only there because the change was forced on the manager.

- Are we really that bad at defending corners or is it that we just concede so many of them? I'd like to see a comparison of number of goals conceded from corners relative to the number of corners conceded

-There is nothing more to be said really, we all know the team at least are capable of more.

Cuellar MOTM for Villa closely followed by Given.

Hindsight is an important factor. Wonder how many Villa fans would of moanedif we attacked and lost 5. Maybe we was too defensive but it almost got us a result.

What would of happened if we attacked and went in 3 down at half time you would still moan.

Hindsight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????? :shock:

He's been like it practically every game ! There is a world of difference between being gung ho and allowing your Team to Attack.

I think your idea that 'it almost got us a result is EXACTLY the thinking of Mcleish.

Its awful to watch, it is embarrassing, it makes no use of the talent we have, and it has left us hovering close to relegation.

Pleasing to see Gardner starting and Warnock dropped. However, a lack of invention going forward is worrying but makes a little sense given the opposition and it could have been 1-1 for not Hart's save against Bent and Carlos missing a free header. Would people be more content if we went for the game and lost 5-0?

But maybe we wouldn't have lost 5-0? maybe if we had tried to win the game... we might have won the game! But setting up to play negative defensive bullshit for 80 minutes gave us zero chance. It was only once we were behind that we even tried to play football. This is exactly how his blues team played last year and we know how that ended!

15th place. Longest streak without winning at Villa park for 20 years. Clueless manager.

What a load of rubbish. I said it all game but why heskey on the wing, i wish someone would ask him because i just done see any reason why. looked better when ireland and nzog came on slightly but still poor. of course your not a defensive manager are you mcleish. idiot.

Wigan a must win game

But maybe we wouldn't have lost 5-0? maybe if we had tried to win the game... we might have won the game! But setting up to play negative defensive bullshit for 80 minutes gave us zero chance. It was only once we were behind that we even tried to play football. This is exactly how his blues team played last year and we know how that ended!

15th place. Longest streak without winning at Villa park for 20 years. Clueless manager.

We had chances to score when we attacked but playing defensive counter attacking against Man City makes sense - MON did the exact same thing when Sunderland beat them (with an offside goal). Our inability to defend set pieces and deal with David Silva cost us. No we shouldn't have sat deep for 80 minutes but it's a game we all expected to lose - the manner of it isn't fun. But lets be realistic the bigger games are coming up. Luckily they are away.

Â