The thing that turns dreams into reality is effort (gym!)

trekka

I know people that spend hours in the gym, I'm in and out in under 20 minutes, 3 times a week. That's an hour a week, and yet my results are greater than theirs because I know what I'm doing and don't listen to the idiots who spend all day doing curls with a weight a 5 year old could lift because they somehow think reps are all that matters.

What's your routine?

I didn't cut out alcohol. There was no point trying because I wouldn't have been able to, plus what's the point if you're having absolutely no fun. I did it while drinking beer. Probably not ideal but it's possible. I also did it without the gym. Again because I knew I wouldn't have the commitment to keep going.

Alcohol effects testosterone levels and the way protein is absorbed into the muscle not a good idea if your weight training

It also tends to pack a lot of calories which is not good for weight loss. Cheese is just bad unless its low fat

Right, so i have been on a low carb diet for the last 6 weeks and lost around 10lbs. i was 16 stone now 15st 3lbs. I have been going to the gym more doing cardio. I want to be as slim, fit and strong as possible for mid june. id say i want to be weighing about 13 st 7 or a bit less.

Im obviously very happy with my low carb diet (i still have porridge 3 days a week)I want to start strengthening, especially my arms and chest. Can i do this on my low carb diet?

Oh i went to a boxing class yesterday and im going to be doing that once a week from now on!

I know people that spend hours in the gym, I'm in and out in under 20 minutes, 3 times a week. That's an hour a week, and yet my results are greater than theirs because I know what I'm doing and don't listen to the idiots who spend all day doing curls with a weight a 5 year old could lift because they somehow think reps are all that matters.

What's your routine?

I'd say 20 minutes is a bit short (for me) but similar to The Don, I'm rarely longer than 45 minutes in the gym.

20-25 minutes of weights followed by 15-20 minutes of intervals.

I've heard and read so many contradicting things about how to lose weight and build up your muscles, it's kind of made me lose interest in how to do it 'properly'.

I'm not really bothered by the science behind it all, but then again, I suppose I'm not desperate to see massive results. I'm just going for runs and eating less shite. I might still be talking it, but I feel a lot healthier and fitter. Job done. I find it boring enough as it is, sod the stats.

Right, so i have been on a low carb diet for the last 6 weeks and lost around 10lbs. i was 16 stone now 15st 3lbs. I have been going to the gym more doing cardio. I want to be as slim, fit and strong as possible for mid june. id say i want to be weighing about 13 st 7 or a bit less.

Im obviously very happy with my low carb diet (i still have porridge 3 days a week)I want to start strengthening, especially my arms and chest. Can i do this on my low carb diet?

Oh i went to a boxing class yesterday and im going to be doing that once a week from now on!

You wont build muscle on a low carb diet you need to fuel your body with enough carbs and protein the trick is getting a balance but the balance is different for everyone because were all different sizes such as height and weight

Enjoying TheDon's posts here. Very interesting stuff. Question though. If the sole purpose of someone's exercise or regime is to lose weight and nothing else (the assumption being that there's already plenty of fat in the person already), then is it not better to take whatever diet would ordinarily be recommended and replace as much of the fat in it with protein instead? Now I appreciate that dietary fat in and of itself doesn't necessarily make you fat, but surely the less fat you consume the better; as long as it's not being replaced by carbohydrates? Wouldn't the body then take the fat from it's stores and burn that instead?

Then you risk eating too much protein and putting additional strain on your kidneys.

There's no reason to avoid fats (other than trans fats, but honestly that should go without saying), if you're replacing them with protein then you may as well just be eating fats. It's not like protein won't be used as energy and your body will go straight for the fat stores.

What's your routine?

Wendler's 5/3/1.

Sure you can. What you want is a cyclic ketogenic diet. Hard to get right, but if you do you get to burn fat and build muscle. Get it wrong though and you'll just put on fat.

I find it boring enough as it is, sod the stats.

That's exactly why I care about them though, the less time I have to spend in the gym the better!

I've heard and read so many contradicting things about how to lose weight and build up your muscles, it's kind of made me lose interest in how to do it 'properly'.

I'm not really bothered by the science behind it all, but then again, I suppose I'm not desperate to see massive results. I'm just going for runs and eating less shite. I might still be talking it, but I feel a lot healthier and fitter. Job done. I find it boring enough as it is, sod the stats.

Most peoples problem is portion sizes.

Eat less than you do, reduced carbs and "beige foods" and do a **** ton of exercise if you want to lose weight.

Less in, more exercise. Simples.

cardio vs weights has aleays been interesting to me.

I do loads of cardio 4 to times a week but little or no weights.

I have had this argument with my brother in law, who only does weights.

Serious question:-

Who is considered fitter, someone who can press 100kg or someone who can run 10km in 60 mins ?

Considering I can do both, me :winkold:

Fitness "level" would depend on what you're using it for surely? For example, your brother in law would probably make a better brickie. Given the choice I'd take the 100kg as it's easier for me to get fitter when I need to.

Why don't you do weights out of interest? Even for general fitness they have their use e.g. core strength.

• 2 weeks later...

Most peoples problem is portion sizes.

Good tip for this is to drink a couple of pints of water before you eat.

Fills you up and, in theory, you should want to eat less.

Not fool proof by any means, but seems to help.

Â