Hummel

lexicon

Where do you stand on the Hummel deal?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand on the Hummel deal?

• Disappointed
    • Pleased

:yawn:

I'll just let you have the last word mate, its obvious thats what you crave

Not really, carry on, I'll let you extoll the virtues of the global brand name that is Hummel.

I really liked Hummell, was a bit more retro and 'cool'. IMO Nike is up there with Ellesse and Kappa in the Chav stakes..

Having said that I do think the brand name hasn't helped shirt sales.. primarily because nowhere, outside of Brum, seemed to stock them!

Would have gone for Adidas had I been given the choice, strikes the right balance IMO.

In my opinion the Hummel shirts are no different to the Nike shirts, oh and another thing you all only dislike hummel because their Hummel, they are not known so instantly you dismiss them as shit, pathetic really.

So a brand name doesn't carry any weight does it? What about kids/teenagers? getting them to buy a Nike shirt will be far easier than getting them to buy a product like Hummel.

I think people are missing the bigger picture here, quality is just one aspect (and FWIW I think generally the quality of Nike shirts is better), but the whole marketing side of it too.

Nike is a more internationally recongnise brand, and will be far easier to sell to key market areas like kids/teenagers.

Also have to remember that Nike-shirts will be far more easy to get the hold of than a Hummel-shirt. The distribution of Nike is unique, and it will probably be sold everywhere in the world.

i'm new here, so firstly, hello to all of you.

secondly, shouldn't we all just use a bit of common sense here. There are no facts to prove the nike deal is better, but given all the commercial reasons that it COULD be better, surely we can just assume it is and leave it at that? I mean, it's like we swapped baros for Carew so there was no financial gain for us i.e. no proof that we got a better deal, however, due to the obvious reasons that Carew is better than Baros, in Villa fan's eyes, we got a better deal, despite no monetary proof.

I've read this forum for a while now but never posted and it just seems that if people swallowed their pride and used common sense then there would be a whole lot less arguing over absolutely nothing!

I've read this forum for a while now but never posted and it just seems that if people swallowed their pride and used common sense then there would be a whole lot less arguing over absolutely nothing!

Firstly welcome to the site and secondly this is the most sensible thing I have read in a while!

I am 100% sure we will sell more shirts in this age group, partly down to the fact that it is Nike rather than Hummel.

Could you please explain me how this would work? Are you still talking about Villa shirts?

I am 100% sure we will sell more shirts in this age group, partly down to the fact that it is Nike rather than Hummel.

Could you please explain me how this would work? Are you still talking about Villa shirts?

I was a bit confused by that as well.

As a Villa fan I buy the shirt as it is a Villa shirt, not because it is a Villa shirt with a Nike logo on it.

Maybe if we want to improve our showing in the youth clothing market, we should stop bothering with the football side of things and become sportswear designers.

Villa shirts and other products, eg sweatshirts etc.

What brand which appears on the Villa shirt means sweet **** all to kids and grown ups. Sure there are opinions on what quality you find better, but if you intend to buy a shirt to support your club, you will do it anyway...especially kids, as considering quality towards purchase isnt something you do before you get older.

What brand which appears on the Villa shirt means sweet **** all to kids and grown ups. Sure there are opinions on what quality you find better, but if you intend to buy a shirt to support your club, you will do it anyway...especially kids, as considering quality towards purchase isnt something you do before you get older.

If you read what I had written:

Villa shirts and other products, eg sweatshirts etc.

People will be more likely to purchase the other products if they are a company like Nike.

Clearly some people are very unhappy that Hummel will no longer be kit manufacturers, so you'd better get down to VP pronto as they have a 75% off sale.

So the discussion isnt about Villa shirts. Its about Nike sportswear products. Sorry i was confused.

You should edit your post then. From what i read, you have written shirts and nothing else. Kinda clear indication towards Villa shirts and not Hummel and Nike Sportswear.

So the discussion isnt about Villa shirts. Its about Nike sportswear products. Sorry i was confused.

Well both actually.

Anyway I am happy we have Nike, thats about me done on the subject.

The sole reason for Lerner to pick Nike is because it is the biggest and best in the world right now, Man Utd and Barcelona wear them and for a good reason.

Sure, I read a lot about this "swoosh" and "trendy", "fashionable" etc, and these people are right in their own way. BUT, and there is a big one, what has this got to do with anything? Is it negative? Is it negative wearing the stuff people recognize as the best, the most trendy, the kit they would like to wear themselves?

Ask 19 fans from 19 other Premiership clubs this question: Who produces Villa's current kit? I guess 2 or 3 would give the right answer

Without cheating, who produces the kit of Blackburn, Fulham and Sheff United? No idea, no idea and no idea. (Answer: Lonsdale, Airness and le coq sportif)

Who produces it for Everton, Tottenham, Liverpool and Wigan? Umbro, Puma, Adidas and JJB. I remembered those

Now who will produce for Man Utd, Arsenal and Aston Villa next season, and, ehrm.... Fulham? Nike ladies and gents

This deal is all about making money and getting more recognition, the use of the word trendy is hardly negative is it?

Villa is a club with very little recognition abroad, very little fans (and we want the Asian ones!) and brand name. Nike is the first step to correct this

Nobody is denying a lot of that. But people seem to confuse Villa shirt quality which Hummel has worked very well on, with the marketing capability of a larger firm, beeing Nike. Maybe we sell more products, maybe people see our shirt more, but that means sweet **** all when it comes to shirt quality.

I guess there's an element of this discussion which hasn't been completely covered.

Given the new ownership of the Club, the presence on the board of Bob Kane [the IMG guy], the stated aim of raising the profile ofr the club and of improving the income from commercial sopurces and so on, Nike is a better choice of kit manufacturer than Hummel.

The reason being that Nike hasa much wider and deeper global reach and presence. So for example, after this summers tour to America and Canada, which ought to raise awareness of Villa over there, people in those Countries will be able to buy a Villa kit, in their local Nike stockist. Hummel just doesn't have the reach to be able to do that.

As the seasons go on, this situation will hopefully be repeated. In other words Nike better matches the aims and ambitions of Villa than would Hummel.

There are points made about the "cachet" of one label over another - apparently Nike is higher up the label chain than Hummel, and points about the quality of the actual material - but as the Nike shirt hasn't been made yet, and I know little of street fashion trends I can't really comment on these things.

Â