Protesting News

Mendi

I'm not sure a protest will work, if he loses the dressing room (rumour is its on the slide now), then that may see him gone

Christ, it's all a bit sad this

Even if the dressing is or will be lost - it won't matter. McLeish is the manager and he won't walk because he knows he wouldn't get another job anywhere else and he's got an incredibly good wage and would be set for a rather big pay off fee should we go down and someone grows the balls to sack him.

Lerner and Falkner won't sack him because it'll be admitting they got it completely wrong - and that they shouldn't have ignored the fans. They won't sack him because it'll cost them MILLIONS to do so and then MILLIONS again to bring somebody else in.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be a bit easier to get behind if the two accounts on Twitter where this seems to have come from didn't spend half their time swearing and being rude to people.

Waste of time. He's here until he relegates us - the club couldn't care less what the fans think despite what they may say - and it'll be written off as 'anti-birmingham city' again as opposed to looking at the real issues in play.

Agreed, protesting is pointless.

Whilst I agree that that protesters have to be credible, I don't agree that "protesting is pointless" - if nothing else it reminds the club that the fans (their customers) are pissed off. the £ protests some years ago had some effect and my sense is that RL and PF are not as thick skinned as people think.

An organised protest will probably be a damp squib, like so many before, but the booing of warnock (I didn't agree with it) may be a foretaste of more vocal stuff to come. I can't imagine Villa fans chanting "Lerner Out" but you never know.

Am I the only one who thinks we are actually starting to play decent football and may be turning a corner?

No you're not, however his bizarre substitutions on sunday has made me question whether the recent patches of decent play are just flashes in the pan. A lot of the better phases of play have involved Keane so the acid test will be when he's gone back over the pond.

it reminds the club that the fans (their customers) are pissed off.

I'd say the vast, empty seats and the fact they've had to send txts around begging fans to go to the Man City game has already done that.

I think they know we're pissed off. I don't think they know why, and I don't think they are willing to listen to why.

I'm with VillanMike

We ARE playing good football and scoring quite a few goals, it's just our sloppy mistakes at the back that are costing us now...

(Fair play to who commented on my last post, I should have made myself clear, I wasn't suggesting we boo the players...my bad.)

...the club couldn't care less what the fans think despite what they may say....

You're absolutely right. However the club does care what the fans PAY though. It doesn't matter how anyone tries to twist it with emotional nonsense, the bottom line is if you enter villa park and/or pay for anything, you're supporting what the club offers and how its run as a whole. They can afford to ignore you when you pay, they can't afford to ignore you when you don't pay. Simples.

The idea of boycotting a chosen game makes more sense than throwing a tantrum protest. However, if the club believe you're just going to do it once, they'll be likely to just ignore it. The old saying is vote with your feet.

...the club couldn't care less what the fans think despite what they may say....

You're absolutely right. However the club does care what the fans PAY though. It doesn't matter how anyone tries to twist it with emotional nonsense, the bottom line is if you enter villa park and/or pay for anything, you're supporting what the club offers and how its run as a whole. They can afford to ignore you when you pay, they can't afford to ignore you when you don't pay. Simples.

The idea of boycotting a chosen game makes more sense than throwing a tantrum protest. However, if the club believe you're just going to do it once, they'll be likely to just ignore it. The old saying is vote with your feet.

Bang on.

I've long thought that if fans are serious about making a protest then trying to organise a boycott of a game is the absolute worst way to go about it. There will always be fans who despite perhaps agreeing with the protest won't miss a game, there are people who have paid for tickets or ST's and will want to go. Asking people to not attend a game is asking a lot.

If fans really want to protest against the owners of a club they should do so in a way that doesn't impact upon the team or their enjoyment or potential enjoyment of watching them play.

They could boycott the programmes, the refreshments, merchandise such things while less visible than empty seats would get the message over just as clear to those in control. They would likely be a damn sight more widely supported than a match boycott.

If fans carried on attending games but stopped all associate spending on mass then that would be an effective protest.

Not saying people should protest just that the way people go about it is usually pretty daft.

For me what we are witnessing is part n parcel of the game. Every club has bad spells. Every club makes decisions that dont sit with the fans. Football is a game where unfortunately there will always be teams worse off than others results wise, otherwise a league would be pointless. I see no evidence in the last 120 years that suggests that we should be immune from what is currently happening.

Now thats not me accepting it, I am as frustrated as the next man but imo, we have absolutely no right to start demanding changes at the club. No one is being brutally murdered, Villa Park is not a centre of mass genicide. We are a football team for god sake, and it just so happens that through one reason or another (all legal and from what i can see morally correct), we are a football team struggling to win football matches.

get a grip.

I've long thought that if fans are serious about making a protest then trying to organise a boycott of a game is the absolute worst way to go about it. There will always be fans who despite perhaps agreeing with the protest won't miss a game, there are people who have paid for tickets or ST's and will want to go. Asking people to not attend a game is asking a lot.

If fans really want to protest against the owners of a club they should do so in a way that doesn't impact upon the team or their enjoyment or potential enjoyment of watching them play.

They could boycott the programmes, the refreshments, merchandise such things while less visible than empty seats would get the message over just as clear to those in control. They would likely be a damn sight more widely supported than a match boycott.

If fans carried on attending games but stopped all associate spending on mass then that would be an effective protest.

Not saying people should protest just that the way people go about it is usually pretty daft.

I largely agree but think that people will still spend on merchandise as a thing of habit. Something visual might work and get publicity. If for 5 minutes everyone turned their back to the pitch that would get the press interest, it would get the message to the dugout and to the Board.

Pictures of the entire Holte turned away form the pitch would be pretty powerful and a big statement.

The thing that worked about the '£' protests was that it was a positive protest. It was in support of the team, trying to push towards getting something that the manager and players in the team wanted. As a result, a lot of people wanted to join in as it wasn't seen as putting down the club or degarding it in anyway.

Whilst you can argue about the merits of getting rid of McLeish, the idea - a protest to remove him from the club isn't that.

It also worked because it was simple, symbolic and visually it had a great impact. It could be done before the game (games, which I believe we went on to win?), make the point, and then get behind the team. The '£' isn't a negative symbol - such as Arsenal's 'rubbish bag' mooted idea, and the idea of turning your back to the team - it's not the picture you want - people saying fans are turning their backs on their own team. It needs to be a positive statement.

That's one of my concerns about this thing on Sunday. I fear it'll end up as a small crowd swearing a bit which does nobody any good - the club looks ridiculous, the people doing it look daft, and the people who want him out but don't think this is the right thing to do get bundled in and the genuine reasons for wanting McLeish gone is ignored in favour of the 'Small Heath Scum Not Welcome' message.

Still, at least we've got a hawk to keep magpies off the pitch now. Perhaps he can play left back?

Don't anybody say no he plays on the wing.

This for me. By not spending whilst in the ground then it gets a message across to the board without the players being affected by it.

The thing that worked about the '£' protests was that it was a positive protest. It was in support of the team, trying to push towards getting something that the manager and players in the team wanted. As a result, a lot of people wanted to join in as it wasn't seen as putting down the club or degarding it in anyway.

Whilst you can argue about the merits of getting rid of McLeish, the idea - a protest to remove him from the club isn't that.

It also worked because it was simple, symbolic and visually it had a great impact. It could be done before the game (games, which I believe we went on to win?), make the point, and then get behind the team. The '£' isn't a negative symbol - such as Arsenal's 'rubbish bag' mooted idea, and the idea of turning your back to the team - it's not the picture you want - people saying fans are turning their backs on their own team. It needs to be a positive statement.

That's one of my concerns about this thing on Sunday. I fear it'll end up as a small crowd swearing a bit which does nobody any good - the club looks ridiculous, the people doing it look daft, and the people who want him out but don't think this is the right thing to do get bundled in and the genuine reasons for wanting McLeish gone is ignored in favour of the 'Small Heath Scum Not Welcome' message.

Still, at least we've got a hawk to keep magpies off the pitch now. Perhaps he can play left back?

Don't anybody say no he plays on the wing.

For a change I agree with you.

The "£" protest was good because we knew the club had money and just wasnt spending it. This time, we all know there is no money, so a protest against AM or RL will be negative by its very nature and generally doesn't look very good.

Time to get at life if your protesting about the results of a football team.

People might say the same for peopel posting on a footy forum, each to their. I personally think the saddest people around are those like you, it's pretty sad to pass judgement like this.

Â