Protesting News

Mendi

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are the potential negative consequences of protesting?

1. Most important - pressure on the team. The whole point of being a supporter is to support the team. Whilst positivity can lift a team and cause it to over perform, negativity will almost certainly cause it to under perform - even when directed from a vocal minority. So you must consider whether your actions are worth the likelyhood of having a detrimental affect on the team.

2. The reputation of Villa fans - we are already seen as fickle and this will not help our cause. This is already being discussed in the national media. Think about how the reputation of Blackburn fans has suffered; we don't have half as much to moan about as they do! Whether you like it or not (or even care) this will reflect badly on Aston Villa's fans. It will be a repeat of the summer fallout where our fans were made to look a national laughing stock.

So if you want to protest tomorrow, just reflect on whether where we are as a club and the potential impact on our reputation is worth it. Supporting a club should be a selfless taks, are you really thinking about the club or yourself?

I would never deny the right to free speech, but I am very much anti the protests and what they might mean for our club and will have no problem telling that to any protesters I see tomorrow

This viewpoint is total rubbish, in my opinion.

Firstly, if you think negativity so easily puts pressure on a team then what about most of the threads on here and other websites tearing apart most of our players? Nowadays the internet is so easily accessible that I'd be surprised if many Villa players didn't read threads like these. Does that affect their performances? Does it heck, it's just part and parcel of being a professional footballer, particularly in the modern game. Do you honestly think a protest before the game effects an individual players morale? Especially when the protest wasn't even directed at the players. From where I'm standing, in the real world, I don't think it would affect them one jot. The majority of footballers nowadays don't have much loyalty to their clubs - yet you make out that a few fans protesting will somehow increase the pressure on the players. I totally refute that point as mere hyperbole. What does increase the pressure on players is crap results and performances – which, at the moment, is largely down to the negative dross our manager is intent on us playing.

Secondly, the reputation of Villa fans? What the hell are you on about? Why are you so concerned about what people in the media or from other clubs might say? I really don't understand this mindset at all. In recent seasons, off the top of my head, Liverpool, United, Everton, Newcastle and Blackburn have all held protests of one form or another. Have they had their reputation damaged too? Every club has protests when the cause warrants it – this is just more hysteria being whipped up against those taking part. And what has the word “fickle” got to do with anything? How are those protesting being fickle? Fickle to what? Another bizarre point made without any explanation. Whether you agree with it or not, whether you think it's "small time" or not, these protests went ahead because of passionate football supporters standing up for something that they believe is not right.

That's exactly what happened today. And yes, it was a pathetic attendance, and it was never going to achieve anything much, but I fully respect why some people felt the need. If we don’t pick up serious points in the next four games that number will continue to rise. I'm certainly not going to slag them off, like some have, and suggest they support another club - that attitude is far more pathetic than any protest let me assure you.

You somehow try and suggest that those protesting are not thinking about the club and only themselves - very strange logic that! If they didn't love the club they would be watching on TV, like many of our armchair fans. Whether you agree with protesting or not - and I didn't attend because quite frankly I would far rather be in the pub drinking and protesting is not really my style - those that did deserve a little more respect and, more crucially, understanding than they are getting from many on here.

The ONLY reason we are not in the relegation zone at the moment is because this season, more than any other, has seen the top clubs pull away and those at the bottom just cannot pick up points. Yet, the facts say we have two less points than Blues did at this stage last season - so I would say worrying about the threat of relegation is certainly not some kneejerk reaction. This is accentuated by the fact that Mcleish has a track record for relegating PL sides and seems intent to employ his "no lose" policy on our team despite the obvious negative consequences it is having on our results, performances and all round atmosphere around the club.

I do agree with Risso though – the main problem is Randolph Lerner and not the shit manager he decided to employ.

I know it's easy for me not living in the UK but lads the only way to get this mug out is to stop attending.

I understand if you have a season ticket that you have already shelled out but if the people buying match day tickets stopped this would have a far bigger affect on Faulkner and RL than a bunch of fans yelling abuse.

It may have to be this way otherwise he will still be at VP next season, a thought that sends shivers down my spine.

Without starting another topic as it's a form of protest but I'm wondering, how many of you with season tickets will renew if he's still in charge next season?

Looking at the video on the birmingham mail website - there seems a reasonable turnout for this protest. - Only going one way in my opinion. I reckon the Mcleish era might be over sooner than any of us expect. {not itk just a feeling}

After paying off MON, Houllier and compensation to small heath there is no chance of Lerner sacking McLeish and paying up his contract (£5 million?). The situation is so bad I reckon even if we were relegated we'd get the line that McLeish has experience of getting teams promoted. He's going nowhere, sadly.

After paying off MON, Houllier and compensation to small heath there is no chance of Lerner sacking McLeish and paying up his contract (£5 million?). The situation is so bad I reckon even if we were relegated we'd get the line that McLeish has experience of getting teams promoted. He's going nowhere, sadly.

Dunno - if Lerner took him to one side - and said resign now and you get £2.5m - would Mcleish take it ? ..I think he probably would.

Dunno - if Lerner took him to one side - and said resign now and you get £2.5m - would Mcleish take it ? ..I think he probably would.

Or he could say sack me and pay me it all. McLeish won't resign.

Why would he take that?

Why would he take that?

Because he gets £2.5m now - he could struggle on knowing he hasn't got the backing of the owner - or resign and pursue through the courts - lengthy , costly,

I used to work for a union - and the general advice we gave when pursuing unfair dismissal was - that if you are made reasonable offer - take it - don't piss about with the courts hoping for outright victory.

Â