Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

wedge

We will lose anyway so ...

give Heskey a go CB or anywhere really, at least then myself and friends can laugh during the game any time he touches the ball and does something really bad or something that is half decent. Our games are always more comical to watch with him in the side. Sort of like when you play FIFA against a mate and stick him in the side and try to dribble past everyone. Basically, I want to see that.

I can just imagine Eck's team talk:

"Okay lads, this is what we've been planning for all week, go out there and give the fans something to cheer. Oh, and Emile, you're centre half today, every time Shay has the ball, I want you to give him the short option and have a run and try to skin all the City players."

:D

Herd Cuellar Clark Lichaj
is the correct answer

I'd hate to hear the question.

I think Lichaj might have a shout as the best right back at the club at the moment, Cuellar is dog average and Clark needs a physical presence next to him if he's to play at CB.

They may not be performing well, but our current back four is still a better option than that.

Funny that, because Clark clearly wasn't a better option than Warnock against Wolves.
Yes, one game.

Warnock is usually pretty poor anyway but his form right now is diabolical. Absolutely dire. Terrible. At this moment in time, almost anyone would be better than him.

I'd rather have an experienced, proven left back (as much as I've never rated him at LB) taking on Adam Johnson, David Silva, James Milner, Micah Richards et al than exposing Stevens, Lichaj or Clark to them.

Something about a new arse hole being torn springs to mind.

Match fitness is going to be critical for our full backs since City will have most of the possession and will be running at them constantly. Lichaj and Herd don't have match fitness. They've just gotten back into full training and maybe a reserve match after months off. Hutton has actually been better the last couple of games and should start. Warnock vs. Clark is a tough call- No right answer, just 2 wrong ones.

It might be possible to play a back three but the left wing back is difficult to plug.

-----------------------Given------------------------

-----------Cuellar-----Dunne----Clark------------

Lichaj-----------------------------------------??????

------------------Petrov------Herd----------------

-----------------------Ireland----------------------

----------------Keane--------Bent-----------------

I guess the choice at left wing back would be between Bannan and Agbonlahor.

Not having a back up left back going into the season was a very poor decision.

I'd rather have an experienced, proven left back (as much as I've never rated him at LB) taking on Adam Johnson, David Silva, James Milner, Micah Richards et al than exposing Stevens, Lichaj or Clark to them.

Well I remember Lichaj being "exposed" to Bale at VP last season and he had him in his pocket. Now I'm not saying Lichaj or Clark would be great, but I can bet they'll be a lot more competent than Warnock who right now is dreadful. Our defence are leaking goals at the moment and making mistake after mistake after mistake. Something needs to be done.

There is this reluctance to try new things with regards to our calamitous defence. Unfortunately McLeish also shares this mindset.

Well I remember Lichaj being "exposed" to Bale at VP last season and he had him in his pocket. Now I'm not saying Lichaj or Clark would be great, but I can bet they'll be a lot more competent than Warnock who right now is dreadful. Our defence are leaking goals at the moment and making mistake after mistake after mistake. Something needs to be done.

There is this reluctance to try new things with regards to our calamitous defence. Unfortunately McLeish also shares this mindset.

The problem with Clark I think is in his lack of pace, his other qualities mean he can be excellent centrally, but at full back, pace will kill him.

Lichaj had an excellent game against Bale, but he's a right back who playing left back and once teams figure that out, he's in trouble.

In our squad, in order to drop Warnock,I think you have to play without a traditional left back.

Our best alternative is probably playing for Leeds.

I agree with you Mantis, the defence does need shaking up, but I just don't think we have a better option than Warnock at LB, no matter how poorly he's playing. I don't like to see a RB playing at LB (and vice versa), and I'm not a fan of chucking youngsters into a baptism of fire either.

If Herd is fit then maybe we could try Clark at LB again, but if not Clark has to play in midfield to help as we get over run in there, which is what I felt our main problem was in the first half against Wolves.

I think OBE's solution looks good, assuming Cuellar and Clark man mark and Dunne sweeps, but Bannan or Gabby at LWB would worry me!

With the current form he's in there are plenty of better alternatives to Warnock. You say you're not a fan of seeing a RB at playing LB, but what about Young? He came in for Warnock for most of the second half of last season and did a fantastic job there.

Right now Warnock is beyond a liability for us. He's scored an own goal recently (almost two) and is diving rashly into tackles even more than usual. He's getting skinned constantly. If he wasn't in such poor form then yes I could understand the arguments keeping him in our side.

Luke Young was a vastly experienced and proven Premier League performer, and I still hated seeing him at LB. Lichaj is a RB, he should play at RB.

Is it a coincidence that Warnock played a lot at DM for Blackburn? Maybe we should swap him and Clark around?