• Ireland
    • N'Zogbia
    • Petrov
    • Bent
    • Keane
    • Bannan (for Ireland 46)
    • Heskey (for N'Zogbia 66)
    • Gardner (for Clark 84)

Am I the only one who thought we played quite well then? Deserved at least a point.

You're not allowed to praise the team anymore or people on here will call you a SHA supporter.

Indeed. The level of maturity by some when faced with an opposing opinion is quite incredible.

Bent was poor, N'Zogbia was poor for the most part. Heskey and Gardner actually had an impact on the game - Bannan tried one too many long balls. Whatever the reasons for Ireland's subbing we lost our rhythm. It really could have been 2-2 today.

plenty of plusses to take from the game today and pretty much most games since the spurs debacle

the people rolling out the 6 wins in 24 stat do have a point, but the fact is that if we want any real changes at villa in terms of how we play the game, they will be long term and you'll have a season like this involved in getting things started. we won't be relegated, and we're actually starting to look like we're capable of playing decent football again. we were outdone by a fantastic strike and some more nightmare defending. aside from that we looked decent for most of the game.

we dont have the ability to unlock teams right now, because our movement still needs huge amounts of work. that's been the case for ecks reign, as well as houlliers, and o'neills, and o'leary's and taylor mk2's, and the arse end of gregory's. it's a villa problem, it's not an alex mcleish problem. we can work on that. right now we are definitely getting the passing stuff improving an awful lot, and that's going to be key for next season.

the defence needs major surgery, we all know that, but the lads in front of them will play a part too. if we keep the ball confidently, we'll come under less pressure at the back. that's already something that we can see happening, but we're quite a way off

getting rid of the manager will do us no favours in that respect

people talk about rogers at swansea - do you know how long it took for swansea to build that kind of game? it started with martinez, and it took years. if we sacked mcleish and brought in martinez or rogers, we'd still be looking at the exact same kind of season, whether you want to admit it or not

Decent performance I thought - for periods of the game we looked bright, lively, inventive and dangerous but at times we were a long way from that. I think there's a brittle confidence that sometimes sends us into our shells and playing too deeply but we are at least starting to play a bit of football.

A lot of that is coming from Robbie Keane's industry, attitude and ability and we'll miss him when he goes.

Defensively it was the same old story, a line up that looks solid on paper but is full of individual mistakes - Warnock is trying to hard, Dunne is what he's always been, a really good centreback with the odd mistake and Cuellar is what he's always been, a decent back up at this level. Hutton gets a free pass this week, I thought he did okay.

I didn't think N'Zogbia deserved the curly finger, he looked pacy and keen, Ireland and Keane work really well together, Clark and Petrov keep the shape and when he came on Gardner offered those bright runs into the box - collectively our midfield can do everything - it's a shame that we don't have an individual who can do a little more of everything on their own.

Up front Bent continues to disappoint me - he doesn't have any faith in his own pace - on at least a couple of occasions this afternoon he was through and one on one a fair distance from goal and elected to hold on to the ball rather than try to take it on - he's not the most industrious, he doesn't offer a great deal to general play and his finishing isn't more than reasonable. What he has got is the best movement of any striker in the country - I'm not sure that's enough.

I think we can consider ourselves maybe a little unlucky not to have come away with a point, I think Newcastle just edged it, but on another day we'd have found that equaliser. They look a decent side, similar to ourselves in a lot of ways but with a whole lot of confidence and a nice balance.

I'm by no means gutted by today, I think we're safe as houses and I'm more interested in the way we play than the results at the moment - on this showing there seems to a move towards something slightly more ambitious than we saw earlier in the season - I like that and I hope it continues. I hope we're capable of continuing it when Keane goes.

wgaf if we played well? we lost again. we play well in patches frequently, means shitall if we don't pick

up points. Guy's useless, can't for the life of me see what he's doing on the training ground. The idea the players are just inherently useless and beyond salvation doesn't sit well with me. Any half decent coach at least manages to improve even the useless to a certain level of competence.

Same shit errors every week. He is clearly making no impression on the squad. He needs to **** off asap.

Game changed for us as soon as Ireland was subbed. The more 'experienced' players are letting us down massively at the moment. Warnock and Dunne have been nothing short of a disgrace the last few games.

Clark isn't a CM, well especially when alongside Petrov, they are too similar, needs to be moved into defence alongside Cuellar for me.

Zog looks a lot better the last couple of games, but once again, he gets subbed for Heskey. Seriously, what the **** is that all about?

The comments on the BBC are so cringy - Best Senegalese strikeforce ever in the Premier League. Cisse didn't do anything of note minus miss a free header before his goal. Ba's goal was the result of a lucky bounce and Warnock destroying Best.

Good first half - obviously too much football being played on the ground for McLeish's liking so a return to the negative tactics,mind-blowingly inept substitutions and plenty of hoofball from the back in the second half ensured we lost the game. McLeish's ability to do the inexplicable continues - and if the players are starting to show signs of having had enough, it's not surprising to me.

wgaf if we played well? we lost again. we play well in patches frequently, means shitall if we don't pick up points.

Those points could be the difference between 13th and 10th.

I want to win games, don't get me wrong, but for me this season is over in terms of the real importance of results - what's more important to me is that I'm entertained, that we look like we're putting some sort of plan in place and that we're doing some of the things that will prepare us for next season.

We're not going down, we're not going anywhere - so let's see if we can try to put a plan in place for the future - I'd like to see us take more chances in our starting line ups, experiment a bit - even take a hammering somewhere along the line in trying to win a game.

Think of today as the first of a long series of pre-season matches for 2012-13.

Now I've written that, I'm not sure whether it makes sense - but there you go, I never promised you sanity.

Why does this always happen we conceed then get an equaliser and sit back so deep. Why why why? Its ridiculous go for the win. Why take ireland and nzog off, players who can at least give you 1 magical moment you take them off for heskey. Why why it doesnt make sense.

Just seen fixtures for next week all the bottom half of the table play each other and after we get thrashed by man city. We will be right in the relagation dog fight. Thanks mcleish thanks for been a clueless idiot who couldnt be a good manager to save his life. Thanks for sucking all the fun out of avfc.

We're not going down, we're not going anywhere - so let's see if we can try to put a plan in place for the future - I'd like to see us take more chances in our starting line ups, experiment a bit - even take a hammering somewhere along the line in trying to win a game.

I'll accept that if we actually do experiment, Play Clark in CH, drop warnock, hutton, collins, dunne, etc play the youth and risk some bumps along the way. If we ever do change the starting line up, its often only due to injury.

Thanks mcleish thanks for been a clueless idiot who couldnt be a good manager to save his life. Thanks for sucking all the fun out of avfc.

Don't say that. There might be people on here who think he's doing a good job and they may get upset.

If Ireland was indeed subbed for swearing at an OPPOSITION manager then McLeish has really got to go. What's he playing at, being clown and managing for the good of his opponents? Or being pussy and a stupid one at that, just like how his teams play.

His replacement is just a mediocre player at best. Massively over rated by many here either because they have low standards or are just blinkered because he's local to them. What's the difference between him and the other hoof merchants we have? Nothing. Because that's precisely what and all he is.

Dunne can **** off as well now. Gives away at least a goal every single game and at fault for both today.

we deserved a point, lets be honest the winner was unstoppable. id say zog was took off because his just had a spell on the side lines and couldnt play 2 games in 4 days. Gardner should have had a goal and a shot on target, looked like he bottled a header and fluffed his shot from outside the box. no way did we deserve to lose that match.

Good first half, not so good second half. I dunno if its just me but we just have no luck and i blame Mcleish! MON was a lucky manager and Mcleish is a Jonah!!

Senagal fancied to do well in the African Cup lose all 3 games allowing their two forwards to be available today one scores, Warnock clatters Best the other comes on and scores a great goal but if that cross was meant for him i will eat my hat. Bannan sticks a cross right on the money Gardner connects there is a scramble and it ends up in Kruls hands. Its luck i tell you!

Bent could have had a hatrick but luck is not with him. I thought we deserved a draw i dont really remember Given making many saves. Defence always looks pourous though but going forward there are reasons for hope. Keane MOM.

We will beat City though coz thats football.

Anyone got Houllier's number?
Absloutely this.

I'm missing the excitement of last season'e relegation scare.

Funny you should say that. If I'm correct we've played 24 games this season and got 28 points. Last season we had the exact same number of points after the same number of games.

The only reason why we're not in a relegation battle (yet) is because the teams below us are poorer this season.

Â