Holiday Insurance nightmare

b6bloke

Hi mate, sounds like a right pain in the backside. If i understand correctly she had the injury, was taken to hospital, they've had a brief look then patched up up and sent her on her way. If she's now been discharged I'd just focus on getting her back here. Its worth calling the airline and explaining the situation. They may well switch her to earlier flights for free. To be fair, for a dislocated knee(i've done it twice) there isn't really any treatment other than rest. Get her back here and take up the fight via the insurance company for recovery of losses. She can then go and see her GP and take things from there.

Think you should sort the Medical work out now and claim back later

You can't afford to wait for them as further damage could be done to the injuries

Then get a good lawyer and sue the bastards

This has got out of hand now and is turning into a nightmare as its now the 7th (happend on 2nd) and still no further, still no medical treatment and as far as they are concerned she is still stuck in a hotel room with no money as used it on medical fees (we have wired her some)

They told her last night that they are still assessing her case yet I have just rang and they said they are waiting for the hospitals to get back to them with an update on injury though she keeps telling them that they have not even contacted her. They say they will chase up the hospital but they have said that every day.

They say even once they have the medical report it will take days to arrange for her to get back as they have to not only arrange flights but get authorisation for her to travel. My argument is that this happened on the 2nd so it should have all been done by now.

Her original flight back is on Friday but she will not be able to get that in normal seating so worried now that she may have to stay there even longer. She is unaware that this is way off being sorted as she thinks she is just waiting for the ok on the flight and is not in the best of places as it is.

No medical treatment since the accident worries me as more damage may have been done that they think, so I think her treatment so far is disgusting considering she had premier cover and though I want to take this further I just want to get her home first.

Is 'Premier cover' the top band of AXA's offering? If so they should be making the necessary, comfortable, travel arrangements, and the lady should also be able to recover the cost of the holiday.

Flew back with KLM or someone and they gave me a better seat as I told them I'd originally had a big seat on my Thomson flight. Gave them the whole story and they sympathised.

It must have been 'someone'. I can't imagine for one moment that KLM would sympathise about anything, unless of course the computer said it could :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I better update this as in need of further advice.

Well she is home and thats the main thing but situation got worse and just has further.

When I spoke top the insurance from my last post they were telling me that she needed to get authorisation to fly which would mean a medical as they could not let her on a plane in case she had a blood clot.

she had not had medical assisstance since the accident itself, she had to turn down the initial MRI as she did not have the money to pay it and when the insurance go ahead had been given for medical payments they said she did not need it. They said they would fly her back on the day she was due to fly back so 10 days with no help. Even though I had been told they would need to check to see if she was fit to fly she was told otherwise.

On the day before flying back she was told that she needed 2 things before they would book it.

A doctors report off her UK surgery and the report off the rescue team, she was still bed bound so asked them to get the information but they said they had tried so she was expected to get it herself! The holiday rep refused to help saying "Its superbowl sunday darling, nobody works on superbowl sunday!" so the hotel got someone to go up the mountain to ski down to the rescue center who said that they had already passed this on. The same story at the UK doctor where he provided it but said he had already faxed it to them.

Eventually 3 seats booked for her so that she had leg room for the flight to Chicago and business class from there to Heathrow. The 3 seats on the first plane had been book in 3 different areas of the plane so big problems with stewards moving people and the flight in business class could not feed her as they did not do a veggie option!

If all that was not enough, she has been getting pain in her calf since coming back and has just been taken to hospital with DVT!!

Do you think this is even worth complaining direct for or just go straight to a solicitor as so far she has been told all that she will get back is her £200 ski pass!

Write to the insurer explaining that you expect them to settle all expenses with references to the relevent parts in their t&cs. Give them a chance to sort it. If they fail write to the relevent Ombudsmen enclosing the letter and response from the insurer.

Failing that.... sue the ****.

she was still bed bound

Why was she bed bound after 8 days? I've dislocated both knees over the years, both times I was up and about on my crutches the next day with a couple of pain killers to take the edge off.

and the flight in business class could not feed her as they did not do a veggie option!

An 8 hour flight from Chicago to London in business class and they couldn't even put together a single thing that did not contain meat? Really? I'd expect at least 2 meals on a flight of that length. They must have a veggie option of some description.

The holiday rep refused to help saying "Its superbowl sunday darling, nobody works on superbowl sunday!"

Again, really? refusing to help an injured customer. He/She would be fired on the spot for that if they were on duty.

the flight in business class could not feed her as they did not do a veggie option!

at the risk of sounding unsympathetic , can you let me know the name of the airline as I think they've just become my favourite airline in the world ever :winkold:

but seriously have you tried the Financial services Ombudsman ? , they also cover Travel insurance selling in the UK

When I have disputes with a company I write the initial email / letter .. and have a bit of correspondence ..and then at some point if I feel I'm getting nowhere I'll write a letter in which I inform them they have xx number of days and then I'll be referring it some large backing body (credit card company , ombudsman so forth ) or even parts of a consumer act as required.. then use the web and find the name of the CEO , MD or highest ranking person you can in the company and CC them on the email

it usually tends to work ... (BA even gave me a free return in Club class once as an apology as well :-) )

Write to the insurer explaining that you expect them to settle all expenses with references to the relevent parts in their t&cs. Give them a chance to sort it. If they fail write to the relevent Ombudsmen enclosing the letter and response from the insurer.

Failing that.... sue the ****.

They say that they only have to pay for the ski pass as the holiday isnt covered as she was there. I have spoken to the Ombudsmen a few weeks ago when it was happening and they said to complain to Axa and if no resolution was met withing 8 weeks then to come to them and they would decide if to take it on though from what I had told them at the time they said they would.. I asked about the solicitor as now it has gone to DVT I thought it may have hit another level.

• 3 weeks later...

could do with a bit more advice on this.

We put a letter of complaint in to the insurance, the DVT got worse to the point a nurse has to come out everyday to give an injection and take blood test and has to take 10 warfin tablets a day too.

The hospital were very concerned about her lack of treatment in the states and said she should not of even been alowed on the plane without first having a medical and feel that all this is to blame for the DVT. We have had to put on hold our trip for new year in Australia as she is not alowed to do a long haul for 12 months and our holiday to portugal in May looks lost too as they dont feel at this time she will be allowed to fly.

The insurance rang last Thursday throwing apologies all over the place at her, they had read all the e-mails and listened to the calls and after a few questions they said there would be a change in jobs for those who dealt with her in the Chicago office and how shocked she was that my GF had her life put at risk by being put on the plane without a medical, she apologised for everything that had gone wrong and said it would go in front of the compensation board.

The next day a letter comes through off the same woman apologising for the inconvemiance caused and thanks for helping them improve their customer services but we did everything possible and offered her £130!!

Is the idea of offering something so low designed to put you off progressing as we have been told that it is grounds for a substantial claim, especially as she is unable to work.

Â