Snow Watch!

trekka

Snowing heavily in Brum now

Its picked up the pace here near Leamington too

Add Nuneaton to that list. Mind you, I am off on the train to Birmingham to then take a train to Leamington in about ten minutes so I can compare notes. Assuming my train makes it of course.

I'd stay indoors if I could, but contractual obligations and everything...

6:30 and 45 Fahrenheit.

Positively tropical.

While the UK has hardly embraced the metric system any more than the US, distances are measured in miles and yards, beer and milk are sold in pints, clothes are sized in inches, I will say that Fahrenheit is a **** daft way to measure temperature.

Zero degrees should be where it freezes!

6:30 and 45 Fahrenheit.

Positively tropical.

While the UK has hardly embraced the metric system any more than the US, distances are measured in miles and yards, beer and milk are sold in pints, clothes are sized in inches, I will say that Fahrenheit is a **** daft way to measure temperature.

45 is positively balmy. Just remember 10c is 50f and every 10 is 18. (0=32, 10=50, 20=68, 30=86 etc). Saves on the mental arithmetic of getting 5/9ths of something :)

Well, yeah, but....

"Hot" should be up in the 90s, approaching 100. 30-40 doesn't sound hot.

Can't we re-calibrate it so that 0 is freezing and 100 is scorchio? Centiheit.

Au contraire!

Celsius for weather is insane. Is the freezing point of water that relevant to surface temperatures? Considering that snow/sleet/etc. is much more affected by the temperature at altitude than ground temperature and that it's not like you suddenly get black ice at the freezing point?

Consider, for a moment, a weather map built around Fahrenheit:

uswxhi1largeusen600.jpg

There are two things that jump out. Even approaching normally the coldest period of the year ("when the days begin to lengthen, the cold begins to strengthen"), no negative temperatures are to be seen. If we were to look at the map for, say, Bastille Day, six months from now, there would be about the same number of triple digit temperatures. Further I can say from personal experience that the degree of discomfort from being in subzero Fahrenheit is comparable to triple digits, and further that 70 is likewise roughly comparable to the mid 30s or so (my ideal temperature is about 60; my thermostat is typically set to not turn on the heat above 58-59 and I begin to moan about the heat at around 75 or so; 30-ish is about when I'm sure to wear heavier clothes and/or long sleeves).

<10: avoid going outside

10-20: inconveniently cold

20-30: cold

30-40: chilly

40-50: comfortable chill

50-60: mild

60-70: comfortably warm

70-80: warm

80-90: hot

90-100: inconveniently hot

>100: avoid going outside

If anything, I would scale it so water freezes at 25 and keep 100 the same (so that there's 1.1 degrees Ramsey per degree Fahrenheit), but that's a minor quibble compared to the complaint about atrocious scaling and granularity in Celsius.

Met Office are now predicting 10-15cm widely (~4 to 6 inches) with 25cm or more over higher ground (10 inches!) during the course of Friday.

I've got to drive from London to Portsmouth on Friday afternoon too!

I was in a meeting in Rochester today, the forecast was fine or foggy. Around lunchtime the shout went up that it was 'getting cloudy' and it was like someone fired a starting pistol. Mid meeting and still talking people started packing their stuff away and announced they had to go.

How the **** we got through day one of the blitz is an absolute mystery to me.

Edited by chrisp65

Â