Snow Watch!

trekka

Travelling back from London last night on the M1 overtaking an ambulance at about 55mph I went into the 3rd lane. Suddenly a massive patch of ice that the salt spreader appears for about 100 yards. Luckily the ambulance stepped back a bit and allowed me to skid my way into the second lane and correct the vehicle (BMW) position and just manage to not crash. Scary although weirdly I felt really in control. 

Slow down chaps, even though most main roads look mostly clear there are still patches here and there to catch you out. Don’t get cocky and just go slow so you get home alive. 55mph is way too fast bud. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Frankly, I'm amazed that this (annual) thread hasn't received the derision it deserves, from our Scandinavian and American VTers. 

I would have, but I almost did a arse over tit 720 this morning and the confidence is just not there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I walked into Mere Green earlier and the footpath was sheet ice in places. With it hitting -5 tonight, its going to be even worse in the morning.

Stay safe out there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I walked into Mere Green earlier and the footpath was sheet ice in places. With it hitting -5 tonight, its going to be even worse in the morning.

Stay safe out there. 

Yep, my epic trip into Moseley was the same, nearly went over once but torvill’d it with style to stay on two feet. Made it back with two huge bags of shopping like an absolute boss. 

32158_0603.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Slow down chaps

I did a long stretch on an unsalted road, clear tracks where everyone had driven previously and the parts of the road between the tracks with a thin coating of snow and slush.  Driving directly into bright light from a very low sun made it worse.  I was doing 30 tops on a road where normally 60 would be ok.  I acquired a line of cars behind me, all of whom were allowing what would have been a normal stopping distance in normal conditions, like it was a dry summer's day.  I really think a lot of people on the road just have no idea. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I live in the countryside. It's just hit -7 and it's due to hit -10. 

Have you townies got a deep frost on your daffodils? :D

don't forget to top up your antifresian

DQygRHGW4AA2hLr.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

another snow day for me tomorrow :P

site is shut, i think my office will be shut, my rear wheel drive car wont get off my street

best of it is i had a big meeting tomorrow that i had to do loads of work for (that i havent...) and everyone else is either now too busy or on holiday for the rest of this year, the snow has pretty much finished my 2017 off :cheers:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

another snow day for me tomorrow :P

site is shut, i think my office will be shut, my rear wheel drive car wont get off my street

best of it is i had a big meeting tomorrow that i had to do loads of work for (that i havent...) and everyone else is either now too busy or on holiday for the rest of this year, the snow has pretty much finished my 2017 off :cheers:

Must admit, the no work today or tomorrow has killed it off for me now. I've worked the last few Saturdays and I was going to work this Saturday, but not going to bother now. I break up next Wednesday and it can't come quick enough.

No work again tomorrow as this place is still an ice rink and no chance of getting to the unit, so a few bottles of cloudy apple and Lucky Man series 2 for me this evening.

Roads are still tricky and where snow has melted it has now formed a deadly sheet of black ice.

Temperatures hitting -5.c here.

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I've learned to not even bother with the 328! RWD and a powerful engine are a recipe for disaster

Pick up my Audi Quattro next week so should be better prepared in the future!

I used to have an A4 Quattro - it is an incredible piece of engineering.*

* (Just cost at least $500 for anything to be replaced on it)

Made it to work today. Was fine without having to get out of that **** car park.

Frustrating drive in though. People driving at 5mph on the main roads which are mostly clear.

I know you have to slow down, but be reasonable. If you have to drive that slow you shouldn't be driving.

• Like 1

Â