Snow Watch!

trekka

We were kicked out of work at about 5PM yesterday (down in Hampshire) when the snow was coming down heavily and was settling around site.  This morning was fun - I arrived to work only to find a huge queue of staff trying to get in and those not on the "essential workers" list being asked if they could work from home (the car parks were full of ice).  I'm on the "essential workers" list so no skiving for me and they let me in.  It turned out that they opened the site fully at about 9AM and a lot of people are pretty frustrated in having to drive back home (but then again they should have called our "site line" which was advertised on our intranet and even had tannoy messages throughout yesterday as the place to call before driving to work during adverse weather). 

At least the canteen for a full english was quiet :) It's ironic that the canteen staff are deemed essential but they do a sterling job. 

Edited by trekka

17 hours ago, hogso said:

Not even slush on the roads now, just 'wet'. There was about 30 minutes of excitemnt in the office ar around 8am as it started to come down a bit, but that was all.

Do people get excited about snow in England? 

The weather has been insane this week in New York. We had about 18 inches of snow a few days ago and yesterday it was 60 degrees - thats 60 degrees centigrade, that thing the rest of the world uses ;-)    (Basically a heatwave in the UK) But people were walking around in t-shirts and shorts - in January.

Temps have dropped to freezing tonight and we are going to have snow again tomorrow :huh:

Edited by TheAuthority

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

We had about 18 inches of snow a few days ago and yesterday it was 60 degrees - thats 60 degrees centigrade,

No, it wasn't 60 centigrade. That would beat the hottest weather temperature ever recorded anywhere on the planet. Fahrenheit will be the rascals you're thinking of. Which is still pretty warm for winter in NY.

• Like 2

Hottest I've ever been in was 42 degrees c. That was hot enough to cause my contact lenses to distort on my eyeballs which was, unpleasant.

So 60 with snow underfoot must have been quite some event. 

I was in Bristol yesterday. Less than an inch of snow but everything covered for a couple of hours, very pretty. 

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Sure. The young mostly, for drivers it can be a bit of a nightmare as mass panic ensues as soon as the smallest amount of snow is predicted, but it's not often that much bother. It's been a few years since we had 'proper' snow, in my part of England anyway.

Personally I have always enjoyed the crunch under foot.

• Like 1

More worried than excited as it causes absolute carnage on the roads. We are just so ill prepared for it. 

• Like 1

The weather has been insane this week in New York. We had about 18 inches of snow a few days ago and yesterday it was 60 degrees - thats 60 degrees centigrade, that thing the rest of the world uses ;-)    (Basically a heatwave in the UK) But people were walking around in t-shirts and shorts - in January.

Temps have dropped to freezing tonight and we are going to have snow again tomorrow :huh:

It's difficult as it tends to depend on region.  The north for instance in England / Scotland is better prepared for a bucketload of snow when it's forecast; they close off the "passes" and people tend to be better placed to cope with it  Down here in the South it's a different story.  It's not often we get any significant snow and when it does,  health and safety people lose the plot.  The roads to work yesterday were completely clear and yet, because there was a risk of ice in the car parks, they closed the site for a good few hours.  This was the result of slush freezing overnight, not because of snow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trekka said:

The north for instance in England / Scotland is better prepared for a bucketload of snow when it's forecast;

That's right. Here up North we sometimes put a coat on if it snows. If it really snows, then perhaps gloves and a hat of some sort come into consideration. We prepare by having these seasonal items available to wear in the back of a cupboard somewhere under the stairs.

Down south, I'm led to believe the onset of snow, or the forecast of such a phenomenon leads to widespread panic, mentions every 10 minutes on the TV and radio about how London is shivering and people may not be able to get to work and all the rest of it. The blitz spirit is invoked (I think it's like the Duke Spirit - one of those indie bands they have in that London, anyway, I digress).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blandy said:

No, it wasn't 60 centigrade. That would beat the hottest weather temperature ever recorded anywhere on the planet. Fahrenheit will be the rascals you're thinking of. Which is still pretty warm for winter in NY.

:blush: I was drinking a bit of wine last night lol

On 13/01/2017 at 11:21, villa4europe said:

my estate was bad enough to leave my car on the drive this morning, yep there was about 4mm worth, cheers BMW

Can't say I have ever had an issue in ours and the estate we live on is a nightmare as it never gets gritted.

On 14/01/2017 at 05:32, TheAuthority said:

Yes.

Mainly the under 8's and the retarded.

I think it's **** shite.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Yes.

Mainly the under 8's and the retarded.

I think it's **** shite.

Or the unemployed

For the rest of us its a huge pain in the ass. 

Â